Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
MorphOS 3.18 is out
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I want advice new version of MorphOS is out!
There's also a new SDK for developers.

The new features and fixes are really interesting, in this release there's also official support for a new Mac machine.

https://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/3.18

I want remeber for registered users all minor/major updates are free!

Congrats to MorphOS Team.

Go to top
Re: MorphOS 3.18 is out
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Bad site/forum for this kind of news.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@K-L

Why? Aren't there a lot of Amiga users that dual boot MorphOS and AmigaOS on their PPC Amiga Computers?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cageman

I want to dual boot..

but I can't as I don't have a video card that works with both!

I will continue waiting (sigh)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@flash

MorphOS has really good release info.
All things that has been updated and pretty much what’s been done.
Clear version numbering also, not this FE, update 1/2 crap..

This is how it should be done.. Take notice OS4 devs/Hyperion!

Best Regards,

Harry

[SOLD] ?A1-C, 512MB, Antec Aria
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Cageman

Quote:
Why? Aren't there a lot of Amiga users that dual boot MorphOS and AmigaOS on their PPC Amiga Computers?

IIRC, amigans was created as a place specifically for AmigaOS 4 (and classic). At the time amigaworld.net & amiga.org were both places with a lot of "discussions" about MorphOS and AROS, and with the inevitable "mine is bigger than yours" arguments. Some people wanted a space without the extra noise...

Both MorphOS and AROS have their own dedicated forum, and it's nice to have one for AmigaOS too.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans - I agree

Statement of Intent:

Quote:
Amigans.net was created to provide a friendly Amiga website where users can share their daily amiga experiences and to discuss amiga related topics in a light friendly environment.

We want Amigans.net to be a place that inspires Amiga users to use their Amigas and to find the original fun of being Amigans. Whether that is development, games, music creation, creating graphics or applications.
All creative things that once inspired us to follow this platform.

While 'Amiga' has become quite a broad term since the demise of Commodore this site focus on the following areas:
- Next generation AmigaOS4, compatible software and related hardware
- Emulation Emulation of 68k AmigaOS and 68k Amiga hardware
- Classic 68k AmigaOS, compatible software and hardware

Join Amigans.net and help us make Amiga fun again!

P.S. and I like MorphOS too, but such discussions is better to be placed to morph.zone.

Edited by sailor on 2023/5/15 9:18:10
AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@flash
Yes and free.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I feel that there is nothing wrong with this post as its been correctly placed in 'Free for all'. Its not a news item or placed in an OS4 specific section in the forum for example.

There is an option in forum settings to not show 'free for all' posts on the front page when logged in if you dont want to see things like this.

Edited by derfs on 2023/5/15 16:06:13
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Some of us prefer to have amigans.net to be os4 centric site only, and for all other stuff for morphos and aros we visit specific sites too when we need.

Anyone who want to use morphos, already know their sites and already know the news about new version out. There really no benefit to put news about aros, morphos,atari, commodore or whatever there, because most of all it will be just skipped, or , as it now, a little annoy some of us.

Do you think it is necessary to go on aros site, or on morphos site, and put there news about os4 things ? Sure you can, but will casual visitors of those sites have needs for ? Probabaly not.

In end of all, there AW.net, which collect all sort of amiga based stuff in one place.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@flash

I personally have no issue with this topic, but I can understand the wishes of some OS4 users who found a safe haven here at Amigans.net.

---
redfox

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I got to know this forum only recently on recommendation since it is known for AmigaOs4.1 developers and I got a lot of help even if I currently use AmigaOs4.1 under an emulation.

I also think that MorphOs developments and also notifications should not be here in this forum.

Personally I have nothing against MorphOs, I have tested it myself, unfortunately I was very dissatisfied with it, it reminded me too much of Linux. This is not to say that it is a bad operating system, on the contrary, MorphOs seems very modern in many respects.

However I feel more comfortable with AmigaOs4.1 and since I had an Amiga a1200/AmigaOneXe with AmigaOs3.0/4PreRelease a long time ago I feel more familiar with AmigaOs4.1 than with MorphOs.

Just my personal opinion.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I must say I don't see how a simple announcement of a new MorphOS release is a problem here (although it would of course have been even better to have it in Free for all).

The only problem with it is when it is turned into a discussion about whether it should be here or not. (Oops, now I did it myself ...)

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all

Sorry my news was intended to be just a news about development of another amigalike ng os.
Personally I own two licences for OS4 (Classic and Pegasos 2) and two licences for MOS (Pegasos 2 and Macmini).
On my Peg2 I use tree boot system with OS4, MOS and Debian Linux.

I was quite sure my case was not isolated and news could be useful others amigans.net users too.

Please go ahead red vs blue, there's really no competition between two.

I wanted instead highlight the business model of MOS Team who don't charge users for any update and don't fragment userbase with many different software distros.
Maybe on OS4 side someone should consider a new approach to sustain devs without charge on user every minor single fix/update.

Memento audere semper!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@flash

We cover all such kind of news on https://www.amiga-news.de/en. So, no need to publish it here.
But here, in this forum, would belong any cross-relationships: for example, what feature or what software is included in MorphOS (or any other Amiga related OS) that is missing in OS4. Could we benefit in any way from the certain development of MorphOS. THIS would be interesting...

Dan

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Sometimes these sites not be perfects.
But the main question with this news is why AmigaOS4 and AmigaOS 3.1.4 or 3.2 always are of paid the big updates? for example the F.E. etc. the 3.1.4 to 3.2, etc.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Templario

I don't think that you'd to pay for OS4 updates. At least the latest one was for free. Afaik, only 4.0 and 4.1 were paid releases. Enhancer is a seperate commercial product.

And obviously Hyperion wanted to see money for 3.2 as well. And as long as people are happy to pay for them, why not?

I cannot comment on the business model for MorphOS. I don't use MorphOS. But my persional view on the MorphOS team is that it consists of a bunch of friends who like to create an OS in the spirit of AmigaOS. And that the money they make of it is more related to bounties and license cost of third party components. There seems to be less of a commercial drive behind it.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@geennaam

Quote:
Afaik, only 4.0 and 4.1 were paid releases.
Well, also 4.1 Final Edition (4.1 FE) was a paid release. But the updates to that - Update 1, Update 2 (with HotFix) and a few later released single-module fixes - have all been free for registered users of 4.1 FE.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@geennaam

Quote:
I cannot comment on the business model for MorphOS. I don't use MorphOS. But my persional view on the MorphOS team is that it consists of a bunch of friends who like to create an OS in the spirit of AmigaOS. And that the money they make of it is more related to bounties and license cost of third party components. There seems to be less of a commercial drive behind it.

The MorphOS team seem to have a starving artist "we're in it for the art not the money" vibe. That's nice and all, but artists who don't figure out the business side don't get to practise their art full-time.

Their time-limited demo is a good idea, and it's good that they deliver regular small updates.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans
That's hands down the funniest way of describing the concept of a "hobby". I'm stealing it!

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »