Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Amigans Discord
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Hello,

I've created a discord for Amigans and OS4Depot here:

https://discord.gg/YQX65yzyeB

If you haven't used Discord before it's a bit like IRC but with a lot of modern features like notifications, chat history, emojis, graphical content, voice chat and video streaming.

Plus it's convenient to use it on your phone.

If any talented artist wants to create a server icon (512*512) for it then that would be great!

More information at:
https://discord.com/

Official clients are available for Android, iOS, Linux, MacOS, Windows and modern web browsers.

You might get it to work on AmigaOS using pidgin under AmiCygnix. If anyone has gotten this to work on the latest work by cygnusEd then let us know.

General tip:
Turn off notifications by setting "Server notification settings" to either "Only @mentions" or "Nothing".

Edited by orgin on 2022/8/11 10:09:11
Edited by orgin on 2022/8/11 10:24:39
Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Re: Amigans Discord
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@orgin

Does it work with amiga browsers or is there an app?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Raziel

I added some more information in the original message.

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Nice! Signed up now. Quite a few there already.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Just thinking out loud here but... if this site has an IRC channel and the IRC, open-source protocol is readily supported on AmigaOS then why split the local community by introducing a new chat-like service some Amiga users can't use? Isn't joining everyone under one flag the reasonable thing to do, or am I missing something here?

Having one crowded place with a lot of Amiga users cross-pollinating each other seems like a more fruitful avenue than having ten half-empty hangouts.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@FirstNinja

One doesn't exclude the other?

Discord offers video streaming which makes it easier to live-broadcast your Amiga through a PC with a game-capture card when you need help with something.

Instead of waiting for the next physical meetup in (insert country) to bring your Amiga there to get help troubleshooting something.

:)

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
I've added Discord links in the website top menu under "Chat".

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@FirstNinja

How about a Discord bot which posts to the IRC and vice-versa?

That should be relatively simple to do, but would need an #irc channel set up on Discord (as you obviously can't mirror all channels to one)

edit - first link on Google: https://github.com/reactiflux/discord-irc

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I would like to second the suggestion from @Chris.

Would it be much work?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Bump! :)

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Could we get an MSN Message client and channel too please? Might as well do AIM & Teams while you’re at it too.

:)

DiscreetFX Studios
http://www.discreetfx.com

Making Your Digital Films More Effective!

AmigaOS 4.1: AmigaOne X5000
MorphOS: Powerbook G4, iBook G4
Classic AmigaOS: CDTV(2), Amiga CD32, Amiga 3000, Vampire V4+: ApollOS, AmigaOS 3.2
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
Today, I set up XenaBot for the #amigans servers both on Discord and IRC. This will bridge the two platforms and have messages visible on both servers, so people that prefer to use IRC will not feel detached from those that prefer Discord.

Have in mind though that only the #general channel in Discord server works like that. To include the rest would need different channels on IRC as well, something we do not have right now. But for a start, the #general channel works pretty nicely.

Hope you make use of it and have fun.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Great work mate!

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@walkero

Is there a guide to connecting to the Discord amigans server via AmIRC somewhere?

Edit: Looks like my mistake was not realizing the bitlbee bridge wasn't running on irc.amigans.net -- you have to set it up via chat.macintoshgarden.org as the guide indicates. Sorry for any confusion.

-- eliyahu

Edited by eliyahu on 2023/4/30 15:50:08
"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@eliyahu
Just to clarify, the solution that uses the bitlbee is for connecting to discord servers and any channel you want to participate in.
The bridge that I created a few days ago doesn't need bitlbee. You need to connect to irc.amigans.net and join the #amigans channel. After that, you see and write in the same channel as the #general on Discord.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@walkero

Thanks for all your work! Now I don't need to use the macintoshgarden.org server. It all works great!

Resized Image

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@eliyahu
I am glad it is useful to you. It is not a perfect solution but it is pretty good and works without issues.
I hope to see more and more activity in our discussions, since things like that keeps us all together.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Bump!

i'm really tired...
Go to top

Register To Post