Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: What do you expect from update 3?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
USB2...USB2...USB2...

More system stability!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@CrhisH & Elwood

In general, i not so care will new update for free, or for money, all what i want its to see it soon, just because of some bugfixes which we wait for too long. Let's it be for money, but calling next update as os4.2 , where is no radical changes (but just newshell and usb2.0), its imho a bit not many for changing version number.

So, while newshell "are done" and usb2.0 "are done", not release it for the next update (because of cooking it for the next version of Os, which will be after update again after 1 year or more), will be really bad.

Because of this i still think (and hope), that newshell and usb2.0 will be in the next update , among with all the other stuff , but will it for free or for money - dunno.

But i already see how funny will be, if usb2.0 + newshell will be "that step" to make update for money, and what will say all the users (from other amiga-oses as well) :)

Imho (just imho), for radical version number change (going to os4.2), and making it for sold: newshell and usb2.0 not enough. Gallium3, new printing system : that is what should by logic really change version number.

@CrhisH
And how you can say that Rigo's work on Reaction should be "for free because its just bug fixes" ? As i read on forums in last year, he do so much work on reaction, that its should be for payd (and by this logic, we should pay for every fix in the os, even if it we found and report it :)) )

Anyway, we as usuall want too much :) Let's see what next update will bring for us.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
mmm...
Imho the problem wasnt what we would get in the Update3 of if its for payment or not...
But the usb2 topic was, imho, ridiculous...
When AmigaOS4.0 came out, usb2 was already there(so about 7 years ago...), so why I have to pay for something I have already paid for at least 2 times(OS4 and OS4.1) in the past?
Sorry, but that wasnt fair...
The new Shell could be for payment but usb2 no...
Also all the bugfixes(for example the bad looking asl req refresh), have to be free...

I think that Update3 have to be the last free OS4.1 update and than we will have AmigaOS4.2(or maybe also 4.3 if it have many much features) with sehll, gallium, smp and more...so an OS to be used on the X1000...

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The SATA controller speed must be improved so we can burn DVD's at a decent speed, and also be able to multitask at the same time. This and support for usb2 should be fixed.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I hope for:

- USB2
- the new Shell
- nicer Boot pic (hoping for option for changing it to another one too)
- Bugfixes...

AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
http://m4rko.com/AMIGA
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
And how you can say that Rigo's work on Reaction should be "for free because its just bug fixes" ? As i read on forums in last year, he do so much work on reaction, that its should be for payd (and by this logic, we should pay for every fix in the os, even if it we found and report it :)) )

I don't know what work Rigo has done on Reaction, but IMHO *all* bug fixes must be free, no matter how big work they are...

... Well OK, at some point they have to stop supporting old OS versions, even if they are still some small bugs. But IMHO, while there are still big bugs, all bug fixes should be free.

I would label the CrossDos bug (which makes USB memory sticks unusable) as a "big" bug, and therefore something which should be fixed for free. It would be reasonable to release various other bug fixes (e.g. MUI) at the same time.

P.S. I don't really care about the "New Shell", as KingCON works great here. But I would be upset if USB2.0 support was delayed, just because Gallium/etc was not ready.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have only one request for update 3 ...

As a MicroA1 owner, I would like to know if I have to disable my USB ports before I attempt to install another ISO image. If update 3 is released as an ISO image, please make sure that it boots on the MicroA1 with all 4 USB ports enabled and HD as master on one onboard VIA IDE port and CD as master on the other onboard VIA IDE port. I don't want to go through another install like OS4.1 update 1.

---
redfox

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@marko
The 460 has a new boot pic comared to the 440.

@Redfox
Is this due to some hw bugs on the micro?

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

Added to the Kas1e, we need also:

- Updated GFX drivers, for allowing to use again Amigygnix in P96 windowed mode. (Maybe by chance little speed improvements or bug fix).

- CrossDOSfilesystem updated and/or USB fixed to allow users to use without data loss with FAT medias.

- Possibility to format fine FAT95 on Amiga-NG computers. All kind of size and all numbers of partitions (for Big HD for example).

Amiga-users are stressed and wait impatiently after the next update. Because some of the compoments need urgent updates for resolving some problems encountered like FAT problems, slow Warp3D, Elf.kmod for debugging, New MUI for MUI-OWB,.....

The best for me is to release a quick fix.

IMHO for me, If a quickfix could be released in the futur, I could wait silently after the newshell or USB2 for the update3 without stress

This is of course my point of view

bye.

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e
I agree

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Paid or unpaid, make it happen! Fixed and with new features.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
USB3

Unlikely but one can dream

"A man is only as old as the womans he feels"
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Fransexy

USB3? Are you kidding?

Btw, I think USB3 is going to be replaced by the new firewire Thunder thing the new Macs use before it really gains ground. I have never seen anything faster than that until 2016! Really, copied over 50GB in under 3 minutes. I was baffled.

We need something like that too.. And I already have a name for the technology..
SpeedBall! (Short for super fast Amiga Boing ball technology!) :o)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

For me USB 2.o was listed on the specification when I pre-ordered my sam440ep supplied with OS4.1, so as I see it I have already paid for it and wont be paying for an upgrade to get it.

As USB is effectively broken at the moment as connecting and FAT or FAT32 formatted device to it tends to result in it being corrupted at this stage I would settle for fixed USB/FAT support under OS4.1 and if that requires a paid upgrade I will be more likely to either return my sam440ep under the trade description act as not being as described or fit for purpose then spend more money on a fix

On the other hand I quite a agree about new features like a new shell being things that better 3d support and other GUI changes being new features that I would be happy to pay for after the original defects are fixed.

Apart from USB support which has been a bit of a bad joke from had one with USB keyboard and mouse randomly disconnecting until update 2, OS4 works quite nicely and is a good upgrade over OS3.x it just has a one or two ruff edges that could do with finishing off

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Amiga1

try eSATAp. It works already on AmigaOS4 and is faster than USB2 or whatever

nexus

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I would like to see :

Overhaul of all GUI/gfx functions into one GUI library using platform independant functions.

New developer Frameworks to make programming faster and close to 1:1 similar/portability to linux/windows gui apis.

Drag 'n' drop GUI, UI software.

.Net style code & OOP

Start from scratch describing the Amiga systems :

weekly coding blog showing how to code small apps like dir, clock, format etc

monthly blogs describing converting from dos program to crating GUI progs.

Consider creating one Hyperion developed AmigaBasicNG.

The key to success is developer tools, docs,source code - look at Microsoft they have their own wonderful programming RAD IDEs - they are guaranteeing new generation of users can simply code for windows easily.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@angelheart

Quote:
monthly blogs describing converting from dos program to crating GUI progs

If you want to know how to make small apps with GUI you can download CompilerGUI from os4depot.net. It comes with small example sources but they contain some special tags which have to be replaced with some real information. Start CompilerGUI and press Create new button. Give your app a name and then select from the chooser which kind of an app you want and press create. Then compile and run.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I agree with kas1e and Chris. USB2 should be in free update. Also it would be nice if new Shell and new Workbench features would be included as well without needing to wait for full Mesa/Gallium.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I'd at least expect USB to be fixed. USB 2.0 would be nice too.

I'd rather wait longer if it meant a fully working USB 2.0.

'non fixed' A1XE, USB card, Sil 0680 IDE, 512mb RAM, Radeon 9250, OS4.1 Update 5
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

I do not know if it is a hardware bug or a software bug. I had all 4 USB ports working fine with AmigaOS 4.1. When I tried to upgrade to AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1 from the CD, my system became very unstable every time I tried to boot from the Update 1 CD. The system would crash or freeze or boot into a white workbench screen or boot into a black screen. After many hours, I finally got the install done and had the same unstable system booting from HD. After I disabled my rear USB ports, my system was very stable and would boot-up fine from CD or HD.

Later someone discovered that we could comment out the following modules in the Kicklayout file and enable all 4 USB ports.

;MODULE Kickstart/a1floppy.device.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/it8212ide.device.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/lsi53c8xx.device.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/sii0680ide.device.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/sii3112ide.device.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/sii3114ide.device.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/sii3512ide.device.kmod
;MODULE Kickstart/3dfxVoodoo.chip

I would say that one of these files contains something that sets up the right conditions to cause a very unstable MicroA1. Disabling two USB ports simply allowed us to comfortably use our systems and boot from the AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1 CD.

Although we use the AmigaOne version of AmigaOS on the MicroA1, the MicroA1 is not the same as an AmigaOne with an Radeon 7000 card.

---
redfox

Edited by redfox on 2011/5/7 15:09:27
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »