Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

rwo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »
Porting more interesting stuff
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hello,

Beware, this post will sound harsh (on purpose)

I need to give you my opinion about the software which is released on OS4depot. If I see the software released the last 2 days I see:
- an emulator for Atari's Lynx
- OpenGL based puzzle.
- A "Copy" like Shell command
- 3D visualisation tool for source control repositories
- a Workbench clock
- an opengl platform game
- Perl-compatible regular expression library
- libftgl library
- a painting program

Whereas on AROS, is released Gallium3D.

Which one do you prefer, the OS4 part (many "small" releases) or the AROS one (one big release)?

I prefer the AROS one by far. Small apps and tools will not help OS4 to go forward!

It is time to have more interesting stuff to bring the OS to the next level. We need improvements in graphics, printing, video editing.

Am I right or wrong?

(needless to say that what I'm seeing in the Gstreamer thread makes me happy as I think cooperation between devs is the way to go)

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Re: Porting more interesting stuff
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Elwood

not if people expect that 10 developers can do all the work..
It is time to get new developers otherwise never will happens in the near future (and also far..)

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood
Imho there is nothing wrong. Hyperion works on OS itself (and 2d/3d subsystem its a part of OS, so, its work for Hyperion all in all mostly). But all what you see on os4depot, that is "user-based" releases. Imho it's even better for now that for AROS. Of course, and still, we need improved 2d/3d in aos4, but that is not opensource os, so, just need wait new updates imho.

Release of Gallium3D for aros, not was like "one more release on os4depot". It was very hard and long-way work done by deadwood, which he start from the mesa 3 years ago, and only few days ago, bounty was officially compilted. For all that time, os4depot have many games, tools, apps (as ports as native), and that all in all not bad (about 1500 releases for 3 years).

But i fully agree, priority of aos4 should be after x1000 releases a new video subsytem, mesa/galliaum and alt. Dunno anyway what Hyperion have in mind about :) We can only be in "hope". That is from one side a bad side of close-source OS, but that is also a plus - no code mess which everyone can change.

Good OS without apps - it's nothing, and buggy OS with many apps it's also bad deal. There is 2 ways and boch should be mature, not like one or another.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
But i fully agree, priority of aos4 should be after x1000 releases a new video subsytem, mesa/galliaum and alt.

That's debatable. Otherwise I agree. We have to make the platform fun to use instead of prioritize a single thing.

Btw. What do you mean with the word "alt" ? You use it a lot but I don't understand what do you mean usually with it ?

@afxgroup
Quote:

+1

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Elwood

Quote:

Which one do you prefer, the OS4 part (many "small" releases) or the AROS one (one big release)?

It's not a question of preference. I could as well ask "Do you prefer OS4 to be developed in small steps, or in giant leaps?" Would that question be any more sensible than yours?

It's all a matter of resources, as pointed out by others. We currently do not have many developers able to take up a huge project. Most of us are spare-timers, trying to steal an hour or two with Amiga from our daily lives. Difficult to get to anything bigger, really.

Another question is what a "big release" is, especially as we know nothing about the time spent behind a particular project. For example, last summer I was out of work so I started working on WordNet, a program you would perhaps call a "small release". Well it took me almost two months to finish it, often coding 15 hours a day! A big project and a big release for me

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

there are 2 loaned SAM, for developpers, recently baught by users, somewhere (I hope). Where are they ???

Maybe they have just baught and need to be received by Trevor.... but theorically, 2 new developpers will join the AOS4 community

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Tsk
Quote:

Btw. What do you mean with the word "alt" ? You use it a lot but I don't understand what do you mean usually with it ?

It's like "and so on/and others" (some bad wrong word) :) AJS explain it more deeply in next post

Quote:

That's debatable. Otherwise I agree. We have to make the platform fun to use instead of prioritize a single thing.

Fun to use - yes. But not fun to develop :) But making that "fun" are real "fun"- OS should be good. Making good think only on "fun" not so right in some cases, sometime need serius work/plan/etc. But that is Hyperion's problems :)

@Mrodfr
I think we can collect more money for more hardware for new developers, but, firstly, we all in interest for who that 2 new sames already going

@Trevor
Any news about these 2 sams for new devs ?:)

Edited by kas1e on 2010/7/22 9:58:38
Edited by kas1e on 2010/7/22 9:59:22
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TSK

Quote:
SNIP

Maybe he means, etc = Et cetera (in English contexts pronounced /ɛt ˈsɛtərə/) is a Latin expression that means "and other things",
Or et al. (an abbreviation of et alii, meaning "and others")

or even alt as Alternative.

and of course he may mean something totally different

And Back to Elwoods post, I can understand where he's coming from, but as people start to learn to code/port they want"easy" examples to start with.
They need to start slowly and build up confidence, Jumping into a massive project with all sorts of potential problems would most probably dishearten them and maybe drive them away from coding for ever.

This Puny World will bow down to
Professor Chaos
Prepare for the greatest Villan you have ever seen!!
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Elwood
I think you should stop worrying about what the neighbours are doing and concentrate on your home instead.

Go out and attract new developers and new users outside the of the usual circle. This is what all operating systems should be concentrating on IMHO.

Only with more people will you see more speed.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie

Eh eh, you're probably right.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

SAM systems are with me I will make a news item on Amigabounty.net over the weekend. We had a baby two weeks ago so have been quite busy getting used to changing diapers instead of surfing the net

If anyone has ideas of who to lend the systems to please drop me an email.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ssolie

If someone gives us the possibility to play youtube clips on the amiga,i can get 2 outsiders to us.

And i'm considering going to easter party in norway(a huge one) with my amiga. Maybe one or two gets interested?

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@Elwood
I think you should stop worrying about what the neighbours are doing and concentrate on your home instead.

Go out and attract new developers and new users outside the of the usual circle. This is what all operating systems should be concentrating on IMHO.

Only with more people will you see more speed.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Troels

congratulations daddy !..you'll soon find out why parents say it's a sacrifice to raise children...in the mean time enjoy the ride..they really do grow up too fast

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique Quote:
If someone gives us the possibility to play youtube clips on the amiga,i can get 2 outsiders to us.

We can already do that using ClipDown, although it's not exactly elegant...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique
All of us already plays youtube by mplayer + getvideo + clipdow. You point OWB on youtube, then choice any clip, do copy_link and then just press button near of OWB (that button are done by ClipDown) which named "auto action". Then ClipDown grab link from clipboard, and spawn for you window, with choice of video format to play. Choice any, and mplayer spawns and play youtube vid. For me all is done automatic (little arexx script which run clipdown at the same time when i press on OWB icon). That script also in ClipDown archive for now.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH, kas1e

Yes, Youtube didn't work yesterday but now with the latest GetVideo it should. Impressive. :)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Thematic

ah.. so i'm not the only one that was having problem with youtube (and gnash..).. while monday it was working correctly

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

Mmm it strange, lately I used Tubexx a lot without problems ...

So you are working on Gnash again ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

Quote:
It is time to get new developers otherwise never will happens in the near future (and also far..)

Problem is not only the number of developers, but sometimes the "head" of certain developers, IMHO we need to share knowledge, opinion and sources with other "Amiga clone" devs, it's quite strange having 3 different MPlayer version, 3 different OWB and so on ... :-/

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I've got a better idea, lets let the programmers decide what they want to do... Let the ones out of this group who wish to lead themselves and anyone else willing to join in a certain direction do so...

And those amongst us who wish to show our support do so and those that aren't interested overlook the thread etc...

Just leave well enough alone...

And I keep saying there is no other OS... imitation is NOT an alternative it's simply a copy... now lets just put it to rest...

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »