Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Leaving?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mikey_C

....I too will be selling my MicroA1 and moving to the mac...I have had enough....Shame on Amiga inc

You wonder what it going to take to open AI's eyes. I'll stick around to see what happens next!

@jahc
...I think the lucky ones who have an A1 should be trying to stick it out for the time being...

Yep, that's my take. Always something to discover inspite of the crap!

@Paul
...Mikey, you're really on an emotional roller coaster!! First you brought us "I'm Smiling", and now you talk about "Leaving."

Good call ! More exactly, you can't ever leave. You can choose to ignore for awhile, then the Amiga
drags you back screaming and howling. Amiga is like a good boomerang, it keeps coming back ; in
the side of the head!

@thread
It's called 'mutiny'! I watch "Pirate Master" here on CBS always! Amiga Inc. needs a new captain. I give
captain BW the 'black spot'. What's your say?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Billsey
I just bought me a Mac Mini (PPC of course). Just to play around with the old cousin for a while and see what she's been up to.

Not leaving Amiga though.

ace

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

I can understand your angst but I don't see why you can't enjoy your Amiga fix and other computers/platforms at the same time.

I use Windows and have been investigating various Linux distros. I might even succumb to buying an Apple PC but I still will use Classic and PPC Amiga's.

Keep the faith,

TrevoDick

AmigaOne X1000 betatester
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@spotUP

Quote:

spotUP wrote:
@Mikey_C

I feel a bit down due the current situation too.
But you know what?
I am a fighter,

Thing is some of us have been fighting so damn long that we have little left - now I know what Ben Vost was feeling when he finally had to let Amiga Format go...

As things go I can't see Amiga Mart lasting past issue 1000 of Micro Mart :(

Sven Harvey
Amiga Mart in Micro Mart (in 2 out of 4 issues on average with a following wind)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Outcast

Quote:
But then.. He got into bed with Penti with his eyes wide open.

Yes, all three...

Saluditos,

Ferr?n.

Amiga user since 1988
AOS4 Betatester
Member of ATO Spain
A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mickey

Buy a Mac, but don't sell your A1

I have 2 Macs and 1 AmigaOne

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

My advice: don't do things based on other people acts, do because you enjoy doing them, or either stop doing them 'cause you don't.

I have 2 PCs, two Macs and 2 Amigas (XE-G4 and A1200/060). I work 8 hours a day in front of one of the PCs, but I enjoy every minute I sit in front of my Amiga. I cannot say the same about the PC...

If you're feeling down, switch off all your computers for some time, stay away from computers, forums, etc. for some time, in other words, take a sort of "technological holidays" for two weeks or a month, do other things not computer-related, and then come back with renewed energy.

Saluditos,

Ferr?n.

Amiga user since 1988
AOS4 Betatester
Member of ATO Spain
A1 Cfg
OS4 SCR
A1200
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi MikeyC, Guys,

(Haven't had a chance to read all the comments here yet.)

While you all may have noticed I have'nt been posting almost at all lately, it's because I've been busy.

AmigaWorld.Net is disgusting at the trolling run rampant (and being permitted), AND I can't seem to post on Moobunny using Aweb (comes up with a response "unrecognized command" when I hit "reply to message", but I can on WalkingFish and General)... but I haven't been banned, because I CAN post from my xp box (notice I haven't?).

Meanwhile, as far as my AmigaOneXE is concerned, it's been on 24/7 for a few months now doing OGR25 for the Amiga team. (I have to reboot it anywhere from 3 to 11 days). I do other things on the A1 while OGR is going, that's what leads it to crash.

Also, there is no chance whasoever of it being up for sale ANY time soon (more than 4 years). That's the LEAST amount of time I'm willing to wait!

Hey, I just went to the trouble of calculating the value of AOS4.x being US$700 mil., so, I SEE a future there.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Helge wrote:

I think many peoples who already own AmigaOnes will keep them until they break. Then they will consider if it's worth spending a few hundred Pounds on a new CPU module.

Hi Helge,

Thing is, my AmigaOne XE 800 MHz WORKS, IF I sell it, there is NO GUARANTEE of EVER getting another ONE! (I bought it brand new.) So, no, it isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Quote:
Helge wrote:

What I see a bit more critical is the mood and general feeling of the developers. When the situation looks hopeless, then some will stop developing for it. This will make the OS less attractive because apps are missing. It's like a vicious circle.

Well, we don't need 9 word processors, but we DO need more variety. If there's a black whole, developers WANT to be the "first" there. It's exciting.

Lack of HW is the only problem and hopefully ACube, near the end of the summer WILL be allowed (through court endorsement) to sell Sam440's WITH AOS4.x WHILE the case runs through the rat's maze of legal procedure allowing whatever rusult comes out of court to deal with it later.

Quote:
Helge wrote:

It's difficult to say how many are waiting to get OS4 hardware. If it would be available now, then I am sure that it would immediately more than double the userbase, boosting development.

At LEAST!

I'm still eagerly waiting for my copy of AOS4.0 PPC Pagestream I paid for over a year ago! (The professional version.)

Quote:
Helge wrote:

I think we will loose most of those peoples when MOS is released for Efika, because many will buy it for the cheap price (although it's not the same and very limited).

Call me weird, but I find that the crowd that runs with that system, most rude, crass, and hostile, not people I would go to a bar with. I do not like them, and if effika's MB's were $5, I WOULD NOT get one.

bb is NOT an option, he wants to pay Hyperion Entertainment $4.50 US PER ef shipped WITH an AOS4.x CD-ROM (IOW, IF the customer requests it). HAH!!

Quote:
Outcast wrote:

I think Mr Kinsel is doing a grand job laddie.

Hi Outcast,

I met and spoke with Mr. Kinsel for about 4 minutes. I think that, he clearly understands the situation, and do not believe that he would have taken the case if he thought it was unwinable. Lawyers HATE to lose.

Also, I felt that, if Hyperion has a bit of trouble coming up with money, that he WOULD give them some leeway on coming up with the rest. IMHO, he seemed to grasp the cheating that was being attempted by Amiga Inc. (Del.) and sympathised with the Hyperion employees.

Quote:
Paul wrote:

Mikey, you're really on an emotional roller coaster!! First you brought us "I'm Smiling", and now you talk about "Leaving."

But then, how many Amiga owners AREN'T on one of those roller coasters every now and then?

Hi Paul,

Errr, uhmmm, yeah!

Amiga delivers entertainment in MOST unusual ways!

Although, it's past the point of rediculous long, long ago.

But, I will wait, invested too much to duck out now.

I want to feel as though AOS4.x came to "be" in some small way at MY prodding, and words of encouragement and continued cheery postings.... AND, now that they DELIVERED...... walk away? N O W A Y!

I am partially responsible for Hyperion spending ALL of those hours, all of that money, all of those times they HAD to "make it happen" and HOW could they? WELL, they DID, somehow.

To leave now, after spending so much effort convincing them it WOULD be worth it, I CAN NOT abandon them now.

I was one of the people telling them "it was the right thing to do" and they then DID!

Hey, never forget, they got Altivec to work, (we asked for that (well, Altivec was supposed to work at SOME point anyhow, but there was some questioning on the part of the community about it just before it WAS activated, it felt like it was done for us)) AND they got draggable screens going (we ASKED for that, and were tolds ALL kinds of reasons to forget about it, too).

Hyperion, your ship will come in!!!

(Posted from AWeb3.5.08beta.)

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

I don't understand why you'd sell your uA1 in retribution for no other hardware being sold. You already have something to run OS4 on...

I do agree though, that the situation is demotivating. I mostly use my ibook today. Not because I'm trying to in some virtual way to punish anyone for anything, it's just way more convenient that using anything else I have. My PC laptop is pretty useless, the battery when new only lasted 45 minutes. And it gets freakin hot, so even with a power cord it's still pretty uncomfortable to lounge on the couch with. My desktop PC and AmigaOneXE are tethered to my desk upstairs. But the ibook is very portable and the battery lasts a little over 3 hours, and convenience has trumped all other aspects of my computer time. I'd use AmigaOS a heck of a lot more if we could have it in a decent laptop form. Pity as the ibook is such a decent platform for PowerPC laptop... Before I had a laptop, I did much more on my Amigas, but now convenience is more important than obsession.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

A good example of my attitude toward this is my PageStream licenses.

I have PageStream for Amiga (not used in a good while because of the state of my Amiga; of which, by the way, I am still awaiting advice on how best to emulate Amiga on the 1GHz Celeron that I just got); PageStream 4.1 Pro on my Mac 9600 (OS9), and am still awaiting PageStream Pro for my Mac G4 (OSX).

Just this morning, I upgraded my OS9 Mac License to PageStream5 Pro for i86 Linux (to use on the Celeron under Linux), and am awaiting the relevant information from Grasshopper so that I can download the package (and/or perhaps get a CD shipped).

In all this, however, there is still the Amiga License, waiting for a time when I can once again run Amiga software (thus the mention of waiting for that advice). There are no plans in my heart to leave the Amiga scene completely?especially not because of whatever the owners of the IP do to defend their property.

If you really do want to get rid of your A1, feel free to send it my way, then I'll see about getting it going on this home network.

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@svenof9
You could always start coving M*rphOS... Assuming that you don't already (I don't get MicroMart, sorry).

(And yeah, I know that M*rphOS is a swear word here, but it would be better than closing down the Amiga Mart section entirely.)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Yeah, but then they'd have to rename the column to M***OS mart, and no one would know what that is.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
I know that M*rphOS is a swear word here

It is not a swear word. It is usually off topic. If you want to talk about MorphOS there are several web sites dedicated to that particular operating system. I really don't understand why people can't be mature about this.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
So Mikey, now you have a brand new shiney OS4 update, are you still selling up? :)

Simon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I wanna leave... but theres one thing holding me back:

(god this sounds so gay) My freinds Ive made over the years in amiga land has haulted me from leaving. As for amigainc ive given up careing for them and I feel like moving over to the mac too....
<foody mode on> *sniff* I love you guys *sniff* </foody mode off>

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

I left partly already. Most of my spare time is not spent on the Amiga anymore. I need signs of definite improvement before I want to spend any more time on porting stuff or spend anymore time on beta testing for that matter.

I have an AmigaOne-XE and a micro. Most of the time their off these days. I'm spending more and more time with Linux and especially Ubuntu. Ubuntu 7.10 and Compiz Fusion really kick the living crap out of all other operating Systems. I subscribed to Linux Format and was glad to see some ex Amiga Format staff still writing for it.

I'm not selling the AmigaOnes just yet but until the situation improves I won't be using them that much anymore.

I sincerely hope that the people that win the lawsuit are the ones with the most sense in them. That means; support the damn Mac Mini already. We need a big amount of cheap second hand machines here. Mac Mini's have been sold in the hunderds of thousands in the G4 form and with Apple moving towards Intel these are all potential cheap Amiga's.
New PowerPC hardware is just way to expensive, slower than a Mac Mini produced by companies that just fall over at the snap of a finger. Then we can't tap into a large second hand stock again. Do we want the Eyetech situation again?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Thread

Just for the sake of the community: those who have more than 1 A1 and do not use part of them, please consider selling to those who want A1 and can't buy one. Or find a developer to borrow a machine to him... Just a thought to chew on.

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@PulsatingQuasar

Quote:

PulsatingQuasar wrote:
@Mikey_C

I left partly already. Most of my spare time is not spent on the Amiga anymore. I need signs of definite improvement before I want to spend any more time on porting stuff or spend anymore time on beta testing for that matter.

My feelings are the same. After I sold my AmigaOne, I was very sad and wanted to buy a new Amiga once I had the money. So I was looking at the news and announcements and often I was drooling over the specifications that were listed. Now, after more than two years of waiting and many empty promises later, I HAD some money again and was ready to spend it. But still nothing...

But what I have also noticed is that my interested in so called "next generation" hardware has vanished more and more. I am no longer excited about it and don't feel like spending a lot of money anymore for a slow system like Samantha that will maybe get released with OS4 in 2008, maybe not. It's too little too late!
I must say I also like the idea of the Mac Mini port. Maybe I would even buy one if it would be released NOW. But I am not sure how I will think about it next year. Maybe I will have already forgotten about the idea.
The only thing which keeps my interest in Amiga are the old Classic machines and all those good memories from the past. The good times when Amiga stood for something better, something more advanced, not for a slow expensive system that easily breaks and has many bugs.

All my hopes are on Minimig. Something truly exciting! Dennis created something extremely stunning while the others focused on announcements and meaningless predictions.

We need more Amigans of the Dennis kind!

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Mikey_C

My A1 isn't going anywhere. While it works, I'll keep it, and I much prefer using OS4 to Windows so I'll most probably continue to use it (especially when we get a more modern web browser - the only thing I use Windows for at home).

However, if new hardware turns up it's unlikely I'll buy it unless my A1 gives up.

I don't really use much beyond YAM, Microdot-II and AWeb (and Notepad and the SDK). Even stuff I've paid for more recently I've hardly used.

If my AmigaOne gives up I'd have to think hard about whether it is worth getting repaired/replaced.

Ultimately I love OS4, but whether any of this is worthwhile any more is a question that deserves some thought.

Oh, and Mikey, IIRC you didn't even pay for your A1, so you are contractually obliged to give it away rather than sell it.

@Jack

Agreed. It rather annoys me when people have several A1s whilst there are others who can't get hold of one. Some of these multiple A1 owning people might use them all, but I bet the majority don't.

Chris

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »