Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

AmigaSociety, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 »
Sam 440 Flex board?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Will OS 4.1 be available for the Sam Flex board? I would prefer to get this board as it has 3 PCI slots...

Any ETA on the flex board?

Thanks

Go to top
Re: Sam 440 Flex board?
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@HammerD

says august here: http://www.acube-systems.biz/eng/news.php?id=29

I just hope that the same thing that happened to eyetech doesn't happen to acube, ie the bulk of people waits for them to release something better but since the early products didn't sell enough, better never happens.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I wish that ACube will alter the Sam Flex design with AMCC 460EX 1,2 GHz cpu...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Radov

A flex board with an 1.2ghz cpu would be the perfect upgrade for current A1 owners.

If it could be produced at a decent price (whatever that is;) it would be very popular.
They would certainly get an extra order from me.

I will stick to my A1XE-G4 @933mhz for now though, as the SAM seems to be a downgrade..

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Troels

I think the Sam is only a downgrade in terms of pure CPU performance. Everything else would be better/faster. I am comparing it to the MicroA1 in this case.

Of course your XE with additional slots does count for something...in this case you should compare it to the Flex board :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi,

i would prefer the Flex board too.
Without propper SCSI support any OS4 system is for
me only a side-car to my good running A4k/060 WITH
SCSI support.

So i will the SAM only use as 24/7 online server and
proxy and to DL with Amigift ...[and to have OS4 :P ]
And dont need the power of the R9Mobility.
[a cheap gfx card do this job well]

I Hope, now with HW on the horizont, a better SCSI driver
is coming soon .....

I slowly switch from my A4k to WinUAE on IBM Workstation.
And here i HAVE very good SCSI support.[from the WinUAE side too]
[slowly BUT constant]

So ATM i only need a low GFX-power OS4 system.

R-TEAM

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@HammerD

Yeah, I would like to buy a Sam440ep-flex.
Now, please?

And I certainly wouldn't mind some extra speed either.
Although I am pretty confident that GCC compiles faster on the Sam440ep-flex/667 MHz than on my SE with G3/600.
Even more so as my SE is falling apart and I can no longer use DMA with my SII0680 card.

I sent a mail to ACube yesterday but I guess they need a few days to process all the mails they got now...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Shadowolf

I agree. OWB is already slow, ok well not bad, on my 800MHz MicroA1....so really I would prefer a 1+GHz OS4 machine with 1GB ram.

Sam with 1GHz+ and 1GB ram and 9250 256MB would be awesome.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
Sam with 1GHz+ and 1GB ram and 9250 256MB would be awesome.

512 MB video ram would be even better ! I have SE also and I would like to see 1GHz+ machine too (with more than 1 PCI slot).

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I'd like a !+Ghz sam too. But think i'll be getting me the best sam when i can afford it. Will place itsleves nice with the other os4 machines. Mainly cos i want to support my favorite os.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I would get one, if it was a viable replacement for my micro (On CPU Spec)...

Wizz.

Rev 1D3 Amiga 1200, Apollo 1240 (40Mhz '040, 64MB RAM), Indivision MKII, Fast ATA MK V, Rapid Road USB, PCMCIA WIFI & OS 3.9.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Radov

Quote:

Radov wrote:
I wish that ACube will alter the Sam Flex design with AMCC 460EX 1,2 GHz cpu...

Unless it's a simple chip and oscillator swap, I hope that they don't alter the design at all. IMHO, nothing that delays the release is worth it. Plus, with all the complaints about price, increasing the speed (and hence, the cost) won't help. Maybe this could be a revised model for later.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
The SAM boards have been primarily developed for the embedded market, hence the choice of chip. This is not, AFAIK, likely to change in the near future.

The hardware that is advertised for sale, is available, and as the Amiga tradition has always been, the choice is yours. Buy it, or don't buy it.

The future success relies on good sales of current products, like in most commercial entities. If you wish to wait for future products, your wait might be longer than expected.

Edited by Rigo on 2008/9/21 12:19:05
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:

Rigo wrote:
The SAM boards have been primarily been developed for the embedded market, hence the choice of chip. This is not, AFAIK, likely to change in the near future.

The hardware that is advertised for sale, is available, and as the Amiga tradition has always been, the choice is yours. Buy it, or don't buy it.

The future success relies on good sales of current products, like in most commercial entities. If you wish to wait for future products, your wait might be longer than expected.

Well said Simon totally agree if they don't get the sales now, they might think whats the point in making anymore hardware for the Amiga OS.

No sales......No Future

I'll be getting one, ............Hello miss Piggy bank....What? ..No No this sledge Hammer won't hurt honest!!!

This Puny World will bow down to
Professor Chaos
Prepare for the greatest Villan you have ever seen!!
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
The future success relies on good sales of current products

The 533 MHz model has already sold out. And it's only a matter of time (I think/hope) when 667 MHz model is too. And we haven't seen that Flex model on the market yet.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

Yes I'm looking keenly at the Flex too. Locally the radeon 9250 PCI cards are 2 to 3 times the price of AGP 9250s. I'm wondering why we do not see PCI-e slots yet.

I also want to know if a driver for the zigbee option has been developed for OS 4.1. I have an A1 but the prospect of being able to monitor remote sensors and operate remote equipment would make for a practical and fun computer.

Noel

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@noelfuller

Get one from Ebay. I think I paid 20$ for mine PCI.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I wouldn't exactly mind a nice Sam - that mac-like case that Acube has looks very pretty.

However, I have only just bought 512 mb of ram for the micro this monday (waiting for delivery along with OS4.1) so I don't think I have money right now.

So, I still think that my 800mhz with the extra ram will see me through the following year. Also, the girlfriend already thinks I am spending too much money on this!

If only I could use a better graphics card more easily...

But I will say this - The Sam is not expensive - not by Amiga standards.

I paid about 1000 euro for my micro with 256mb, 80gb hd, cd-rom and case... So I would buy the Sam in an instant if I hadn't got an AmigaONE already.

MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Troels

yeah im sticking with my A1XEG4@1000mhz the sam would be a big drop backwards for me lets hope some high end amiga arives soon no matter what it costs

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@all

I'd like new h/w to back up my micro. The SAM doesn't appear to be much better then what I have, but it does have USB 2 & more gfx memory to run 4.1. Now consider this, it does have a working (I hope) PCI connector. You could put a riser card in there with & a 9250 gfx card & have some expansion, something we don't have with the micro. There are questions that need to be answered & the right answers could make the SAM look a whole lot better.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 »