Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Amiga X5k CPU Cooler
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
My Amiga X5k CPU Cooler is killing me slowly with a loud noise it makes..

Do anyone have a good tip for a new cooler?

Or maybe if you know what type of cooler to use .. as it is now a days cpu cooler spec are down to x86 cpu types.

Help please

Regards
René

“The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.”
Go to top
Re: Amiga X5k CPU Cooler
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
There was some discussion at https://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum ... id=121977#forumpost121977

Have a look on this noctua fan. I haven't used it yet, but I plan to change all the fans on my machine with something more silent.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@walkero

Thank you .. exactly what I needed .. I odered one now .. lets hope its very silent

“The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.”
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

AmigaOne X5000 -> 2GHz / 16GB RAM / Radeon RX 550 / ATI X1950 / M-Audio 5.1 -> AmigaOS 4.1 FE / Linux / MorphOS
Amiga 1200 -> Recapped / 68ec020 ACA 1221ec / CF HDD / RetroNET connected to the NET
Vampire V4SE TrioBoot
RPI4 AmiKit XE
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Noctua fans are a good choice, silent and long lasting.

If airflow is a concern then you could use a 80mm to 60mm fan adapter, a funnel which allows you to mount a larger fan with lower RPM to the X5000's stock heatsink like a Gelid Silent 8.

Amiga On The Lake used to sell these with 80mm Noctua fans but it seems to be out of stock, there are still some on eBay.

Resized Image

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helloworld

> Noctua fans are a good choice, silent and long lasting.

I agree.

>If airflow is a concern then you could use a 80mm to 60mm fan adapter,
>a funnel which allows you to mount a larger fan with lower RPM to the
>X5000's stock heatsink like a Gelid Silent 8.

I have used a silent 80 mm Noctua model with that type of funnel adapter, but the noise from air flow was at full speed too high to my taste. If I lowered the speed slightly with a low-noise adapter (=resistor), the effect on the CPU temperature was quite nominal (1-2 degrees), when compared to a 60 mm fan.

The best solution would be to replace the original heat sink (which is just too low/small) with a higher and more efective model, Does anyone know a heat sink which would fit properly on the Cyrus board...?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rwo
Some months ago i made a video on how to replace x5k fan on Noctua's one with all the info links and exact model etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Px4c5RcP8

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Gregor

If I recall correctly, the spacing between the cooler mounting holes on the X5000 is unique from AMD/Intel ones and thus is incompatible with every PC cooler on the market.

Marcus Computer (Marcus Bräuker) used to sell common PC heatsink coolers for the X5000 ages ago, I guess he made custom mounting kits to adapt them for the X5000.

Might be worth to track him and ask how he did it.

I imagine AM4 mounting brackets for the X5000 being really useful and straight forward to make with a 3D printer, maybe take this design and widen/slim it to mount on the X5000?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2681174

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Edited by Helloworld on 2022/1/14 8:32:00
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e

I watched you video .. and its was easy to exchange the cooler.

I added a limiter so its not running at 3000 but only the 2400 rpm ... and so far every thing is stable.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rwo

I would also recomend Noctua, I changed the fan on my µA1 which sounded really bad to a Noctua and now it's "completely" SILENT.

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
My X5000 came with a Gelid Silent 6 fan. Noise level is not an issue because the two fans on my GFX card are louder. Changed it nevertheless to the Noctua (just because I can). Unfortunately, the Gelid fan was mounted with M2.5x20mm screws. These are not compatible with the Noctua fan (too long) . So I had to get myself four shorter M2.5 screws with washers to mount the Noctua fan.
So beware.
The new version that I have isn't shipped with a reducer because it now supports PWM. So I have it connected to the CPU fan connector.

According to the cputemp docky, the cpu temperature is stable at 49 degC at a cpu load of 100%. The same docky indicates that the fan is spinning at 2880 rpm with a PWM setting of 31%. Both cannot be true because this fan can only do 3000(+/- 10%) at PWM 100% (12V DC).

But anyways, it works. And it runs about 4 degC cooler compared to the Gelid fan.

Edit: It actually came with a reducer afterall. It's a so called LNA cable (Low noise adapter) . After mounting this cable, the RPM value dropped to 1860 while the PMW stays at 31%. The LNA cable should reduce the RPM from 3000 to 2300. Considering the 2880 reading without LNA cable, I'd expected a value around 2200 rpm. Not sure if this is an issue with the cable or the RPM reading
Temperature is still at 49 degC. So either I've hit the limit of the heatsink or the cpu is able to cool a lot to the mainboard.

Edited by geennaam on 2022/1/18 21:16:14
Edited by geennaam on 2022/1/18 21:16:52
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@geennaam

>According to the cputemp docky, the cpu temperature is stable at 49 degC at a cpu load of 100%.

You get surpricingly low temperature with full CPU load... Sounds unbelievable. With the 60mm Noctua, I get 55 degC when the computer is totally idle! The ambient room temperature is 24 degC.

What kind of case are you using, and what type of fans does it have? I use a F.D. Core 2500, with a 120 mm fan at bottom blowing in at full speed (12V) and a 140mm one at top-back blowing out (12V with a RC-10 low-noise adapter).

> Edit: It actually came with a reducer afterall. It's a so called LNA cable (Low noise adapter) .

Noctua has actually three different models of low-noise adapters:
RC-15 (27 ohm resistor)
RC-10 (50 ohm resistor)
RC-12 (150 ohm resistor)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Gregor

I just moved my X5000 to the Cooler Master SL600M Black edition. There are two 200mm fans mounted in the bottom of the case and air comes out at the top. The graphics card is mounted vertically to avoid blocking the airflow. As a result, the mainboard receives the full airflow from the 200mm fans. But reason for buying this new housing was not cooling but to make the PCIe x4 slot available.

The fans are bit noisy so I will replace them with two Noctua 200mm fans tomorrow.

The box of the 60mm Noctua fan doesn't mention the type number of the LNA cable. It just mentions that the maximum rpm with included LNA cable is reduced to 2300.

Go to top

Register To Post