Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Gorky 17 playable demo released!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information

Go to top
Re: Gorky 17 playable demo released!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Too bad we are limited at 640x480 (old game)

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Maybe with compositing it could be possible to do a small zoom in to reach 800x600 without losing too much image quality.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Ok, resolution can be changed with Warp3D rendering (unticking "software renderer".

Was the game tested on Sam440ep/Radeon M9/Warp3D? I don't think so since there is a serious sound problem when playing (but no in the menu) : music is not smooth at all.

--
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@K-L

Tested on A1xe 1ghz and it runs fine at 1920x1080 except for the first bit of music at the start then it carries on ok.

The only other problem i came across was when i died it gave a choice to start again or replay.I chose replay last engagement which it went back one go then got stuck in a loop.

A1200 060/ppc Grex/Voodoo
OS 3.9

A1 G4/1Ghz born again thanks to Acube Systems.
OS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I cant run the demo because im on Update 6 but it looks to me like the sound bug that we discussed on the Wings NG thread is rearing its head. It happens in os 4 when there is heavy 3d textures and models or something... for instance 3d games and demos..

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@K-L

Some games are made for a certain resolution. Old games that can be brought up to high resolution doesn't automatically look better, I don't get why some people think that high resolution is the same thing as a better looking game. Take Quake 2 for example, you got this smeared out gfx and then you want to stretch it even further. Does it look better? No, the lines are offcourse less pixlier but on the other hand you got pixels no matter the resolution (haven't tried 4k yet) so just accept the resolution the game was made to run in. It is a matter of taste offcourse but I like the resolution 640x480 when a game was made for it just like games from the early Amiga days (count in Megadrive, SNES and so on). You run these games at 320x256 for PAL for example with scanlines and it will never look better than that.

Sometimes a jump from 640x480 to 800x600 or even 1024x768 will make the game look somewhat better but just because you can crank up the resolution doesn't mean that it will look better, that just isn't true. Look at the game and decide if you like the style or not before you complain about resolution. If you don't like it at 640x480 you probably won't like it at 1920x1080 either.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hotrod : resolution can be changed. I mentionned it in this very thread.

--
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@K-L

Yes, yes I know, the point was that some games that was made in a time where 640x480 was "standard" doesn't always scale well to 1920x1080, they simply look best in that low resolution. IMO at least. I played Monkey Island 4 which could be set too 1600x1200 (no fullhd resolution allowed) but it didn't look good at all. When run at 640x480 it looked like it did back then and you can tell that the game was made for that resolution.

Anyhow, yes you can run it at whatever resolution you like, I've checked out the demo.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Vulture

I tryed it and its really nice!
Maybe I'll buy it in future(not now, no time and low money...).

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
About the resolution in Gorky17:
The game was aimed to 640x480, the background images are rendered in this resolution. There is nothing what can be changed. But all objects, Players, Monsters etc. Are 3D Objects.

If you set the resolution to FullHD, you will get the 3D parts in a high resolution while the background is "just" scaled up.

In my opinion a higher resolution here looks much better because the focus is on this scenes. Also you get better shadows and transparent placing tiles (the colored quads under the players and monsters).

Beside the resolution, depending on your system you will get a smoother gameplay because the warp3D rendering can be faster than the cpu rendering (different from machine to machine).

For me it is a big improvement to play it in warp3D and higher resolition (also from scaling view, on my fullhd monitor it looks better if i set the to fullHD instead letting the Monitor scale up from 640x480, a fullHD Monitor also scales up internal).

Regards,
Thomas

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@logicalheart
Any chance of a longer video of the demo? Would like to see more gameplay...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
This demo, crash on A1200 classic PPC 240 mhz -OS 4.1 FINAL- 256 mb ram -RADEON 9250 256 MB VIDEO.
Also it fails almost everything HUNOPPC.

finally, the moment of truth, what works best is the software created by the authors of Wings Battlefield and MACE, respectively

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@pepe
Quote:
This demo, crash on A1200 classic PPC 240 mhz -OS 4.1 FINAL- 256 mb ram -RADEON 9250 256 MB VIDEO.
Also it fails almost everything HUNOPPC.

finally, the moment of truth, what works best is the software created by the authors of Wings Battlefield and MACE, respectively

Are you using the compositing version of Wings Battlefield? Or the Warp3D one? I ask because Gorky 17 uses Warp3D as do almost all HunoPPC games, whereas MACE uses compositing. If you're using the compositing version, perhaps you have an issue with Warp3D on your machine.

Another possibility is that Gorky17 and HunoPPC games may require more RAM/resources than your A1200 has. They're ports from the PC world, where machines have had higher specs than your A1200 for a long time. Gorky 17 on Steam requires minimum 512 MB, whereas your machine has only 256. Likewise, a quick search gave 1 GB RAM needed for Tremulous, and minimum 256 MB for Urban Terror (both HunoPPC ports).

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@K-L

Yes and I didn't write that it couldn't.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Have some people played Gorky17 on Sam440ep ? Do you experience music stuttering during ingame (bot not in menus) whether you are using software or hardware rendering ?

--
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans
Use Warp3D version, for old Radeon.
Rectify a detail, the authors of MACE, have also intervened in this port.
Demo crash at 4 or 5 seconds start the intro.
It is true, ask minimum 500 mhz, I thought it might be possible to work.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Pepe,

The biggest problem with Gorky17 on A1200 is memory requirements and slow BlizzardPPC/Mediator combination. At some point this might change, if/when improved R200 drivers are released. I am going to do so tests for Daniel MuBener on my A1200 soon. So let's wait and see :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@SimplePPC
I have 256 mb ram, This game needs more memory than the MACE and Wings Battlefield?
Yes, it is a slow combination, but MACE and Wings B, working fluid, reducing details.
R200 updated drivers? umm this is very interesting.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »