Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

VooDoo, TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »
Re: AmigaOS and web browsing in 2013
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Someone with ability to fix eventual os bugs should take a deep look at that multithreaded curl problem, the current mui-owb(and probably other stuff?) would be so much better if it was multithreaded. OWB works good on the pages i visit but the lack of mulithreaded curl is just killing me sometimes.

I don't care much about html-video but if Fab wants 5k euros for the sources. Let's give him that money, I have started to suspect that the sources might be stolen and can't be shared because of that and i wouldn't mind to be proved wrong on that.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Guys, be realistic. 5k? The community is too small. 6700 for TW many years ago, 3000 for JIT. We didn't even reach 5600$ expected to open source Opus Magellan....and there are supporters from all camps. I'm not saying Fab's work is worth less but simply, I can't see the money. There is also no guarantee the code (for OS4) will not be abandon , like MUI OWB.
Yes, I agree the whole situation does not look good. More up to date browser is more important than office suite IMO...

The only solution is some kind of miracle will happen and a talented programmer and AOS4 geek will show his interest.

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@smf

I'd love to see the Curl threaded resolver fixed. There's a thread on this on Hyperion's forums, but I don't know whether it has been officially logged as a bug yet.

In other web browser news, the recent OS4 kernel update (with hardware-accelerated copys and moves) seems to have made a big impact on NetSurf's page processing stage on some pages, unless I'm imagining things.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Wrote another (new) browser from scratch is an absolute nonsense really, considering that MUI OWB 1.9 is already a quite complete browser as is it would be a shame to not finish it, what we miss for real is the video beckend part only (+ maybe a few minor things) aka the mutch awaited port of Odyssey 1.20+ ..

5000 might be realistic and honest, but imho it should be for the entire browser port, not for the video part only ...

@Fab

These 5000 are negotiable or is your latest offert ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris Quote:
There's a thread on this on Hyperion's forums, but I don't know whether it has been officially logged as a bug yet.

Kas1e created a report on bugzilla this year (I think that is the bug being discussed anyway).

P.S. I'm still hoping for Timberwolf port to be finished (I think health problems were one reason for big delay?). That would give us HTML5 video (which might even be acceptable speed once Timberwolf is optimised, e.g. not rendering the whole page every time anything changes).

Edited by Rigo on 2013/10/8 0:36:42
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Why isnt the TimberWolf sources available ? Surely if it were a community project it would stand a lot better chance of actually getting anywhere rather then the current situation where its a spare time project? Look at the activity around Dopus5 for instance. It would probably not be that difficult to merge it up with the Tenfourfox effort?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I really don't see if tw was opensourced, many people that have the knowledge to work with it. Since the sources are available for firefox, no one has actually made a port.

X5000
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@mike
Quote:
Why isnt the TimberWolf sources available ?

They are available to a closed group of programmers at the moment. If you would like to be a part of that group then please contact me via email.

Edited by ssolie on 2013/10/10 3:40:36
ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ssolie

I would love to contribute, sadly i dont have an os4 machine, so it would be guesswork, if in the future that changes though i will drop you a mail. My point being though if the foundations for it to run on os4 could be open sourced and made into a community project we would have loads more resources devoted to solving problems

@Antique
True that, some features had to be added to OS4 for it to work i seem to remember, so porting to other amiga like platforms around here would likely require someone relatively devoted. But it would get the ball rolling.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information

And what about the future Qt5 / QtWebKit from Alfkill ?

Maybe more useful to gather money for that...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@zzd10h

Of course, we don't forget it

@ssolie

Happy to read that, nice move

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mike

If you're a good programmer and would/can help. I'm certain that someone should be able to fix you an os4 machine.Didn't Trevor have some for loan to devs?

X5000
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I am sure that the small group of developers behind AmigaOS 4 do the best for our beloved system. Unfortunately, the applications we need are many and development demanding. So they need time, and some times plenty of time. I am also sure that Kas1e, Alfkill and many others can also create nice applications to help the situation, and they deserve our support and good word, as well.

Let's see how the rest of us, from the point of the user base, can help them and embrace them to do the hard work. There is no need always to ask and ask things, over and over again. Of course we have to be demanding as a community to make things move forward, but we do not have to be cruel.

If the solution is to collect 5K for fab, let's do it. He doesn't have to give his code for free. If the solution is to create a new app, lets find a team of developers and give them the 5K to do it.

So, what I am saying is that discussing about who can do it and how the users can help is what we need. Anything else is off topic and useless.

That's just my opinion.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@zzd10h

your post have all my respect ... 8)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
On the subject of browsers.. anyone have a clue how to resolve this error message which seems to have appeared from seemingly nowhere?

Unable to open 'https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443/'.
Error 60: Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with known CA certificates.

How can I "fix" this? NetSurf prompts me for something, however not useful because page loads blank... MUI-OWB does nothing but deny access to the site... worked previously.

Should load plesk log-in page for my VPS.

EDIT:

Actually never mind.. I ticked 'Ignore SSL Errors' in Preferences->Security.

Probably not the best idea but works nonetheless!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@djrikki

check the date and time of your clock... usually problem of the certificates becone for this

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ssolie

As tempting as FABs offer is to see MUIOWB upgraded I would prefer Timberwolf to be finalised and have ongoing development.

Can you tell me a few things?

1. I have a Pegasos 2 with a radeon 9250, will I experience hardware acceleration of Timberwolf in the future, will I benifit from Gallium or will my GFX card not be supported?

2. Will another bounty help move things along quicker with the finishing of Timberwolf and establish a more rapid production of Timberwolf updates?

3. Will Timberwolf as a finished product be fully HTML5 compliant and be functional with sites like Youtube?

4. Will Timberwolf be maintained after final release?

Posted with Timberwolf on my Pegasos 2

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Fairdinkem

please can you write what filesystem is in the hd partition where your timberwolf is?
thanks!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tlosm

It doesn't matter what filesystem the HD with timeberwolf on it has,

it matters what filesystem the CURRENTUSER: assign has.

This must be either FFS2 or SFS and neither SFS2 not JXFS.

SFS is recomended for speed IMHO.

So just add an

assign CURRENTUSER: <somehdwithsfs>:mozilla

to your user startup and it will work.

Speed will depend on hardware

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tlosm

FFS Fast File System 53.2