Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Spotify for the Amiga is a go
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
From Skuggan AW

Hi everyone!

After discussion with Spotify they agree to try to port libspotify and a player for AmigaOs4.x.
Two developer at spotify so far have showed big interest to start porting.

I have promised them a brand new fully equipped sam460 with OS4 and Sdk installed.
Also we will supply them with around the clock support. everything we can do to help them.

Myself and one or two other developers will deliver the hardware personaly to their Hq in stockholm.

I will order the machine today with my own money but would appreciate if some of you guys would like to chip in.

Also. If the MorphOS and Aros team would like to be part of this you are welcomed.
Can you supply a machine and support within three weeks we can bring it with us to spotify.
Also if one from each team could join at the handover it would be great.
Whatever we think of each others variants of Amiga OS we need to keep this professional at this meeting/hand over.

Who will set up the bounty?

This is the first of many important companies that are contacted or will be contacted to help support our beloved Amiga.

Lets keep this professional.

The future looks so bright we may have to wear sun glasses from now on. :)

Go to top
Re: Spotify for the Amiga is a go
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
This could be a really good start to attract new users to the amiga. Let's hpope they can fix this. Would be really great.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@antique
Yes, really good news. I just wish we could port this msn client so we can use it with webcam support. Another big step
Amsn

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Donations toward the developer calculator here: http://www.amigabounty.net/?function=viewproject&projectid=96

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Excuse me, but what's Spotify?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
www.spotify.com

Its like iTunes, but all the music is free to listen to, you just get a small audio advert every few songs or so. A great feature is that you can also share playlists through it - which is kinda cool. Or at least thats how I remember it. You might possibly be able to buy music through it now as well.
When Spotify originally started out it was invite only, I was lucky enough to get invited and was very pleased with what I saw. They've slowly been phasing it in across the globe.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@RNS
You have got to be kidding, right? Even if I have never used it myself it's impossible to ignore here in Denmark at least (perhaps not available in Poland yet?).

Every day there's some story in the media about Spotify's success, spotify not treating artists good or something else.

Once I can afford a working Amiga again (my XE has become unusable unstable) we might have the port complete and then I will have to see what the fuss is all about.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Never heard about it :-/

Anyway, let me tell you that giving OS4 to non-OS4 developers is useless. Basically you ask them to learn OS4 GUI programming. It's just not possible.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood

The real lifter is the library, if GUI stuff is as horrible as you suggest they could still use the console for the example player.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yeah, I think they should forget the GUI (someone else can do that), and instead focus on making a good library.

But they do of course need some kind of program to test the library. Ideally someone else would write a simple Shell utility to test the library, as that'd save them messing with a lot of AmigaOS stuff.

I guess that at least AHI has a half-decent example of how to play sounds using it. So if they absolutely have to write their own utility, it is possible.

P.S. When someone says "Spotify library" do they mean a 'real' Amiga library, or just a Static Object? The latter is *really* easy to implement, while the former is rather complex by comparison. Perhaps they should just start with a Static Object, and then worry about turning it into a 'real' library later?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Elwood wrote:
Never heard about it :-/

Anyway, let me tell you that giving OS4 to non-OS4 developers is useless. Basically you ask them to learn OS4 GUI programming. It's just not possible.

According to Skuggan, spotify has ex-Amigans in their ranks, which is one of the reasons why they even considered letting their engineers do this. I'm sure that they'll be getting help too. We'll see what happens.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Looks like skuggan and joakim(jamiga) will be doing the delivering.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joeled

Things are looking good. Let's cross fingers and bodies. And hope they can port it.

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans
Quote:
spotify has ex-Amigans in their ranks

good, it might help with motivation

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The machine is now delivered as mentioned on Amigaworld and we will provide them with "within 24 hour" support.

We will do a follow up in May giving them even more beer and check out how things are going.

We emphasised one clear thing: "Have fun!"
Thats what it is all about.

They will probably be hanging around on this forum so treat them nice.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
This is great news skuggan. I'll get on spotify when it runs on my amiga.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Along the same lines of audio, Andreas of Hollywood fame has told me that audio support is going to be much improvied through the use of plug-ins at some point in the future. This means I will be able to finally re-address the iTunes plug-in feature in Jack.
Atm I could release a separate application that converts an iTunes library into an m3u playlist for use with AmigaAmp or TuneNet (across a Samba network of course)- but neither show album artwork and for me thats a priority. Hope no-one minds waiting a little longer. ^.^

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
guys have a look at www.boxee.tv/
that web page also lists Spotify as an associate program
we might be able to get Boxee to poort as well

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The Boxee port was made by Spotify just in the same manner as they are now making it for AmigaOS 4.1.

Anyway. For those of you that don't follow Amigaworld:

The guys at Spotify just sent us this picture of the Amiga in its new home.

http://safir.amigaos.se/bildgalleri/users2/12185_IMG_1027.jpg

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »