Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
43 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 43

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

We need a Update Sound driver for sam460ex
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi guys is there any news if the sound driver of the sam460ex is going to be updated???

it works great with my tunenet internet stream but with games, its not, there are high glitches noise all thru the sound.\

No matter what youll do with your setting the noise will not leave.

is there any cure ??

Go to top
Re: We need a Update Sound driver for sam460ex
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I think this is an overall issue with OS4.1.3. Any larger graphics operations will distort the sound more or less, and games using lots of moving graphics I guess will just trash the sound.

It wasn't like this in OS4.1.2 so something changed that broke everything audio. It has been verified by the OS4 team (tonyw) and a bug filed.

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
So if i understand it its not only on sams??? but also with sounblasters etc?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Not with fm801.audio

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
only fm801.audio ???

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Well, I haven't tried the onboard audio chip (by via-ac97.audio) in a long time.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
There is a high probability that the Soundblaster drivers may cease to be included in the OS distribution in the future. This is because of the well documented history of SoundBlaster cards having some very dodgy hardware which requires way more work in the driver to try and circumvent that should be necessary.

The hardware is also well documented to be buggy on all other platforms, and is likely to be ignored in future OS4 updates because of the above.

The current recommendation is to find a different sound card which is supported, and has sensible hardware to back it up.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It would be nice to see an improvement. With the on-board sound, I get unwanted audio noise, even when the machine is only playing a music file and nothing else. This happens on both update2 and update3. I'm ignorant as to whether it is a hardware or software problem.
I just keep using my M-Audio sound card which works excellent.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Simon, is there some chance the currently working driver for my SoundBlaster card, which I find no fault with for my purposes, would stop working? Guess I would not care if the driver were included in some future distribution as long as nothing "broke" what already works.

I've been using that card with a Sam440, but I am monitoring progress of the Sam460 sound driver situation because I don't know for certain what I'm purchasing next.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
...I am monitoring progress of the Sam460 sound driver situation because I don't know for certain what I'm purchasing next...
Amen there! That's a key issue about in my SAM purchase or not.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I currently use an ESI Juli@ which is a superb card.
Audio works fine until I play Quake 2 when I get glitches and stuttering. Q3 works ok though which is very odd.

A1XE G4 800mhz,512mb,Radeon9200,SonyDRU-510A and 800a, Esi Juli@,Sil680,WiFi.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Curty

Do the games use a buffer of the same size with AHI? And the same mixing frequency of course.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes, we need a good and stable sonund driver for this Sam model, because I need it to use this Sam in good conditions.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mbrantley Quote:
Simon, is there some chance the currently working driver for my SoundBlaster card, which I find no fault with for my purposes, would stop working? Guess I would not care if the driver were included in some future distribution as long as nothing "broke" what already works.

I imagine Simon was implying they might stop including it IF it had problems with some future update to OS4 (and would likely be too much trouble to fix).

So probably best to find a different sound card now, rather than waiting until/if the driver stops working.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
As far as I know Ross is working on an updated Sam460 sound driver, he is aware of all the shortcomings of the current beta version.

I guess we need support for PCI-Express sound cards like Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi for Sam460 and X1000

There are drivers / sources for Linux at following location (I don't know if they are portable or not)
http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I noticed that if I remove the mouse from the front hub the high pitch sound goes away. I don't know about the back hub as it makes no sense for me to plug it in there at present because of the on-going bugs in u3 regarding usb connectivity - e.g. keyboard not always detected and mouse scroll wheel not always detected.

As I move the mouse around on the pad the frequency of the sound changes.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@mbrantley Quote:

I imagine Simon was implying they might stop including it IF it had problems with some future update to OS4 (and would likely be too much trouble to fix).

So probably best to find a different sound card now, rather than waiting until/if the driver stops working.

I'll stick with what's working for now, I guess. Took me a bit of tracking down to get this card with a supported chip set as it is. This is after spending a considerable amount of effort trying (and failing) to get the record function to operate correctly on the Sam440 built-in sound, after having spent a considerable amount of effort figuring out how to connect an input to the motherboard header. If I need to move to some other card in the future I'll have to look at what is currently supported at that time.

Sound too grumpy? Don't really mean it to, but there were some hoops to jump through and now that it's all working for me I don't want to disrupt things. But I am monitoring progress, as I said, of Sam460 device drivers in case I jump in that direction.

Go to top

Register To Post