Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

AmigaSociety, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Porting Augustus (Caesar 3) to AmigaOS4
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@SinanSam460

Thank you for the Augustus port!

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Tested Augustus on X1000 and RX550. Thank you for porting it.
Runs stable. Feels slower than I expected - scrolling and recognising menu selections.
Still perfectly playable though.

One issue that occurs each run, I notice the cursor needs to be well below the menu icon to actually activate on click? Seems like it is off target. Anyone else see this?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Augustus - Open Source Enhanced port of Caesar III strategy game for AmigaOS 4 SDL2 works fine on my X5k (german version)

Edited by McFly on 2022/9/2 10:10:39
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@SinanSam460

Any chance to port Julius aswell?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@SinanSam460

Runs great on X5000, even recognized my save files from Linux (played natively with Augustus with Steam's download) and I did not see significant slowdown on a really large map and super large city. I used Steam's version and did not have any problems to run.

I found a bug, unless it is only me who is experiencing this:

Shovel (demolish) is off the centre of the pointer, maybe 2 blocks up and one left, all other items with similar function looks good so far. That means bulding houses is not off, placing roads is good, not off, placing them will be right where the pointer is. Pointer on the menues is not off.

This appears not to be a bug:
I can't zoom out far, it appears I can zoom to 1:1 of the original game. On Linux I could zoom out far, almost to the point to see the whole large city and review the outlook of it and it's progress. Have this been disabled? I can zoom in thou. Is there option in ini where I can enable this?

I can share some save games if anyone wants to see how large scale city will perform on their machine.

Thank you again for porting Augustus!

Edited by levellord on 2022/9/12 20:08:04
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Great news! thank you so much

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thanks, will try this tomorrow. I have bought Caesar from GOG years ago.

Is there any reason this would not work with Sam 440ep Flex?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
The more I play, more pointer issues I am experiencing. Nothing which will prevent me to stop playing, it's just a nuisance. Moving map with RMB and releasing will place pointer to the right bottom corner, instead of to the center of where I end up dragging the map. Right clicking on building/person/terrain will produce box and move pointer to the right bottom of the info box. As ddni reported, clicking on the right command menu (where you build utilities buildings) will cause drop down menu not to be in the center and aligned with the icons.
Still, like I said, those are not a show stopping issues and I am at the 3rd city of the campaign, Capua. Most irritating is the shovel pointer being way off the center.

I hate to ask, but is there a way to fix this and if anyone tried MorphOS version, is it acting the same?

Thanks!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I tried Augustus with this results:

X1000 @1920x1080 - playable and fast
Sam440ep-flex 733 MHz @1920x1080 - playable, but a little luggy, better to decrease resolution a little
Sam440ep 667 MHz @800x600 - playable and fast enough !!!

So, very nice port, thanks to SinanSam460!

Sam440ep is my "new", not properly installed yed, this was only fast test.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@levellord

I will try MorphOS version on PowerMAC G4, I haven't turned on MorphOS machine for some month

Sinan - AmigaOS4 Beta-Tester
- AmigaOne X5000
- AmigaOne A1222
- Sam460ex
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thank you @SinanSam460. I am currently at Lugdunum (finishing), 6th mission, half way through the peaceful campaign. I don't have anything else to report, game plays as expected and I did not find any other issues. Well, it crashed 4 times so far and it was very random so I can't pinpoint nor reproduce b/c it will not crash at the same spot after reloading the save. It might be something else. I've noticed, in the window that opens with the game (is it debugging window, IDK?) that game will complain that Health Assets could not be found, but did not notice any GFX corruption or anything missing. I can't thank you enough for this port release, I really appreciate it sir!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@SinanSam460

Hi Sinan, just tested the version you uploaded into the google cloud. When I started the game, it crashed after creating a window, grim reaper popped up.

Here is the crash log:

Crashlog Augustus

Here is the output window contents:

Output Window New ini

Here is the old ini output window contents:

Output Window Old ini

I looked at the output window and noticed that crashed occurred while loading the assets (I think, or something i going on with the newlib library, my version is 53.80). What I did next, since I saved original Augustus binary and ini, I copied old ini back overwriting the new one, but kept the new binary. After that, game started normally.

I can report that spade is now correctly in the center of the pointer, see the image:

Resized Image

You can see that spade and pointer (you can't see it, spade is selected) is sort of small, but I think this is because I am running game in 1920x1080 (or so) and you did some hack with the pointer. (See my EDIT2 below)

I am going to play some more tonight and this weekend and let you know if there are any issues with this version. I can load my old save games, no problem. As I reported about crashes, it is now crashing more (this applies to the old version of Augustus) that I have progressed further into the game, and I think there is an issue with the Health Assets, because it will crash more often when I click on the cross (+) icon to open for Bath, Barber and so on, and then it will crash during game play. This is only instance that I've noticed crashing during play, but if I hit escape to pause the game and when I am back, the game might freeze (once in the blue moon) and I have to reset the system, no grim reaper pop up. I will take a contents of the output window next time so you can see this complaint from the game.

EDIT: Not correct, it looks normal.
I've also noticed that graphics are not sharp as they were in the first version, did you change the rendering?

EDIT2: Changing display scale to 100% (from 161% that was selected by default) fixed the pointer size and blurry graphics.

Thanks!

Edited by levellord on 2022/10/1 3:30:05
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@levellord

I looked at the sources and saw a definition
PLATFORM_USE_SOFTWARE_CURSOR

So, I have compiled augustus with this definition enabled, I have made no hacks or changes in other sources.

Can you share you save files ?

AmigaOS4 port which I have based on MorphOS port is older than the current version on Github

https://github.com/BeWorld2018/augustu ... ...Keriew:augustus:master

- AmigaOne X5000
- AmigaOne A1222
- Sam460ex
Go to top
Re: Porting Augustus (Caeser 3) to AmigaOS4
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@SinanSam460

Thanks

AmigaOne X5000
Radeon HD 7700
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@SinanSam460

Yes, my bad regarding the pointer, I was just wild guessing, I had no idea, still figured it out at the end! ;)

Here is the look of the spade pointer, totally normal:

Resized Image

And here is the saved game:

Augustus Game Save File

This port works flawlessly so far. I played for about 3 hours yesterday, without single crash, but I will keep you posted of course. Let me know if you need anything else from me.

Thanks!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@levellord

Thanks..that's good to hear

I have uploaded the new updated version to OS4Depot.net

- AmigaOne X5000
- AmigaOne A1222
- Sam460ex
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi @SinanSam460

Not sure if you need it or not or if you can do anything about it, but here is the complain that game is making. Not sure if this is related to the crashing or not.

Augustus AOS4 Health Assets

Game will still crash if I hit escape (for pause) and leave it like that.

Thanks!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@SinanSam460

Awesome work! Thanks for doing this! I have never played this game before, but it is exactly my kind of game. I had just finished playing M.A.C.E. Tower Defense and was hoping to find something on Os4.1 that I could play. This one should keep me going for quite some time.

Is there a way to support your work? I really hope you continue to bring games like this to OS4.

One question, while the game is playing fine for me (on a x5000 40, radeon rx 550) when I load the game I get a message saying it can't find extra assets. I did copy the assests folder into the directory, so it is there. I think there may be a version difference. Do you know what version it is looking for or know where I can get the compatible assets for this version?

Thank you again.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)