Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Anonymous
Promised contribs of OS4 OpenLinux team

Full list of promises
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... =17&topic_id=37853#710877

Here we ll keep just AOS4 and Linux PPC ones ...

Amiga OS 4.1

Help port device drivers
Get the QT port up to date
Port GTK
Virtualization of Linux
linux Subsystem? For running Linux apps without a native port
Chromium for Amiga OS 4? Discuss --- Is this needed
Work with Jaminga to get Amiga Java Port stable and production ready – http://code.google.com/p/jamiga2/
Code a “network manager” type utility for Amiga

PowerPC systems that we sell

We will work with A-EON on the PowerPC initiative
Beg or borrow a X1000 system for porting to that machine
Initial release will support the X1000 and G4 and G5 Macs, we will work with other PPC developers on other class of hardware.
Systems sold by PC OpenSystems LLC, will have OS4 OpenLinux installed by default with Amiga OS sold as an option request by customers, machines sold by A-EON will be sold with the Amiga OS by default

OS4 OpenLinux PowerPC

Start time July 1st, 2013
Platforms supported: AmigaOne X1000, legacy PPC Macs, namely G4 and G5.
Completion date: Estimated, January 2014 with first Beta being released November 2013

Goals:

Simplify PPC install. We want to make it as easy for PPC install as it is for x86 installs.
Provide emulation layer to run Amiga OS apps.
Evaluate and port if possible, the Ambient Desktop to PPC OS4 OpenLinux, project starting January 2014.
Provide the same ease of use for PowerPC as x86, customers and users have access to all multimedia codecs and advanced development tools for high end users.
Provide a PowerPC platform for users and customers to deploy high end mission critical applications and services, as well as a soothing and elegant desktop experience.

Go to top
Re: Promised contribs of OS4 OpenLinux team
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Anonymous
http://www.os4online.com/2013/06/amig ... iga-enterprise-linux.html

Sunday, June 30, 2013
Amiga OpenLinux, Amiga Enterprise Linux and Amiga Education System
As we had reported earlier, with version 13.6, OS4 becomes the Amiga OpenLinux Project.

Here is a FAQ regarding those changes.

Q) Are you guys resuming what CommodoreUSA was doing?
A) No, we are our own open source project with no connection to that brand.

Q) What is the status of the trademarks?
A) We have registered and filed with the USPTO, the names, Amiga OpenLinux, Amiga Enterprise Linux and Amiga Education System.

Q) Is this an advancement of the classic AmigaOS?
A) No, we are completely different. We are an consumer and enterprise software company as well as an open source project. We are in no way affiliated with Hyperion Inc., Cloanto, or any company associated with the Amiga OS or any of its legacy predecessors.

Q) Why are you guys supporting AROS?
A) The AmigaOS and its offshoots, AROS and MorphOS are hobbyist operating systems and their markets are very small, non-expansive and completely niche. But, nonetheless they are there. But myself and my team are enthusiasts and we plan to assist them as we believe in community. AROS will allow Amiga users to run their classic 68K applications and newer AROS applications on our consumer desktop hardware, laptops and desktop units. In combination with Amiga OpenLinux, it will give those users a modern platform with incredible technological advancements offered by the Linux community.

Q) Will you guys market and sell Amiga branded hardware?
A) The only Amiga branded hardware that we will support and offer at this time is the PowerPC based AmigaOne X1000 and PowerPC hardware offered through A-EON LTD. Our x86 based offering will be named as follows

1. The Fire Desktop
2. The Octane desktop
3. The BriQ
4. The Vision Server
5. The Indigo Desktop

We are doing this to differentiate ourselves and not confuse users and customers that we are in anyway affiliated with the Commodore line of computers or an extension thereof

Amiga OpenLinux will be made available to other hardware manufacturers who wish to bundle it, no matter the brand. We are licensed, Amazon Kindle Fire resellers and those will remain called, Amazon Kindle Fire.

Q) When will these changes take effect?
A) During the month of July and be completed with the release of Amiga OpenLinux 13.6.

Q) Will you guys support classic Amiga computers?
A) No, we are unable to and we do not know anyone who does. We recommend you visit other Commodore-Amiga enthusiasts sites to get support.

Q) What will the Amiga OpenLinux logo's look like?
A) See below.

Q) Since you guys will be producing a PowerPC version of Amiga OpenLinux wont that confuse users?
A) No, the PowerPC release will be OS4 PowerLinux. This way users and purchasers of those class of systems will not be confused as to whether they are getting Amiga OS or Amiga OpenLinux as we dont want to cost Hyperion sales or introduce confusion into the PowerPC market which is the only market where the Amiga OS currently resides.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AOCvqyR0ORs ... 6302013+-+02:28:36+AM.png

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Taking the piss with that logo...

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
It's a bit hard to take seriously. None of his "team" has any experience with AmigaOS (or else he would name them and we would recognise the names). If his team is a single person (him) then he's dreaming. If it's a number of people, then how are they going to be trained in the AmigaOS and how are they going to earn funds to keep them going?

Look at the problems that a newcomer like AlfKil has had trying to learn the AmigaOS and its quirks. Is "The Team" going to jump straight into coding at the kernel level (device drivers) and the highest application level (OOP) ?

It would be great if a new, enthusiastic team were to suddenly appear and join the OS4 dev team, but with no income, there's going to be no outcome.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
It is a big difference about dreaming and talking and the real world.
I think there will nothing coming
A big announcement full with unrealistic things

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

vox wrote:

Q) What is the status of the trademarks?
A) We have registered and filed with the USPTO, the names, Amiga OpenLinux, Amiga Enterprise Linux and Amiga Education System.

Sigh. Yet another person/group who thinks that it's a good idea to slap the Amiga brand on a Linux distro and/or non-related hardware. I thought that we were done with this nonsense when Commodore USA shut down.

Added to this, the Amiga trademark is still active and owned by Amiga Inc. (serial # 73571532), so their registration could bring them into legal problems.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Imho someone just make a fun on os4 users with all of this.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Anonymous
Sadly, it looked like a great independent contrib, but yes, all our fears are true ... its all unrealistic lucky guess what would we like

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... p?topic_id=37856&forum=17

Past PC Linux team has neither capacity or understanding or experience to do it. If they do X1000 AmigaOpen Linux (port of their OS4 to X1000) that alone would be great. But we ll see.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... _id=37856&forum=17#710953

Eliyahu sais:
Quote:

1. they are indeed renaming their linux distribution 'amiga' and they have not in any way secured the amiga trademark or licensed any of the marks whatsoever. they just consider it abandoned and are taking it for themselves. roberto stated he was registering the mark with the USPTO to make it official.

2. he believes his distro is the most user friendly, cutting-edge distro out there. but after reviewing an installation in virtualbox, it feels like a warmed over version of xubuntu with little more than modifications to install scripts, changed graphics, etc. he keeps hinting at a large user community, and even stated they have around 12,000 users. but there are no public mailing lists, no public fora, and a grand total of 580 downloads of his distro ISOs at sourceforge.net. over the past two years. to put that in perspective, the OS4 utility sysmon has had over 4100 downloads. i thought, OK, huge community and following, right? let's check out google trends. they have search numbers for AmigaOS and MorphOS, surely they will for this linux distro. nope. not enough search volume over any period in google's dataset. this isn't conclusive by any means, but it doesn't really line up with claims of thousands of active users.

3. the business roberto runs , PC-opensystems, has five employees currently, all of whom have executive titles: CEO, COO, CTO, V.P. of product development, etc. they also have 'partners' like dell and acer. but that's not quite accurate as they pay for the privilege to resell their kit, like any other local PC shop. between the two it sounds like they're trying to seem bigger than they really are -- something which really reminds me of CUSA.

4. in addition to their linux distro they offer off-the-shelf hardware, re-badged, with linux, and sold for a hefty premium. the systems they offer can be had on amazon or even direct from their original manufacturers for hundreds less. again, shades of CUSA. there are certainly a lot of promises being made by roberto, but based on their apparent lack of knowledge about developing in and for AOS, i really doubt their ability to deliver much of anything. do they just look at the amiga name and logos as free for the taking to sell linux barely modified on retail hardware rebadged for a huge premium? also i found it odd that every answer he gave during the IRC session felt like rehearsed "business-speak" with few specifics. there did not seem to be any real answers to serious questions posed, and they have no real experience whatsoever in developing on AOS, or any AOS-like environment. to be brutally honest my first reaction was that the whole thing sounded rather like overly optimistic horse***t. if you're interested, i've mirrored the IRC log from this evening's chat (link). i'm not sure there is much point in reading through all of it, but knock yourselves out. it's still early days, and my memories are somewhat tainted by the CUSA experience, but in the end there are two classes of 'amiga' groups around here: there are those who deliver (hyperion, acube, A-EON, MOS team, AROS devs) and then there are those that talk. they talk about how they'll do this, and they'll do that, and how wonderful things will be once they've solved all the problems for us since they have 'leet skillz. roberto says he'll be at amiwest, and also mentions cooperation with A-EON. so for now i'll just hope my reaction is unfounded; i look forward to see what happens between now and the get-together in sacramento. i'm sure everyone else does as well.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
There are already about 8 linux distros running on x1000. Pat Wall has been tirelessly working on them for a couple of years.

These LinuxOS4 parasites do not appear to be anywhere close to offering anything new.

Given the way our community spoke of Barry Altman (Robertos' personal friend) I would not be surprised if Roberto went out of his way to damage the Amiga community.

Revenge as they say is a dish best served cold...

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hmm - perhaps we can at least flog them for a T-shirt - anyone remember IWin?

http://nbache.dk/HEW99/Pic24-NF.html

Amazing how history seems to repeat itself ...

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I'm sceptical.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

vox wrote:

Full list of promises

If any of this helps A-EON and Acube expand their products into
the Linux world then I'm all for it.

If the price of perhaps getting a ppc laptop or something is
having a Linux distro with amiga stuck on the front, then again,
I'm all for it.

I neither heard nor read any 'promises'. A list of items they
will attempt to get working on ppc cannot be construed as a
done deal.

Just my POV, at this time.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
heck if one or two of those things on their list comes out of this then that's good news but slapping any Amiga name/symbol on a Linux box is a no no

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Just as an aside;

"This is called preemptive multitasking, and it's what modern OSs do."

Go to HERE and read section 1.1

Not one mention of 'Amiga'.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I agree with most people here. This has nothing to do with Amiga or OS4. If they really wanted to help, they would write some OS4 (real Amiga) code, but otherwise it just seems like a self-promotion.

Sam460 : X1000 : X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Got up this morning and before going out to watch another sunrise I clicked on a web link and witnessed a guy cut his own throat with words.

Quote:
This man was a thinker, a PR genius and one of the key leaders of the Commodore and Amiga communities.

YUCK!

The Sun did rise. Another day in Amigaland begins.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Anonymous
Oh, we have lost the leader, we have lost the key ...

We ll see will this leader deliver the key ...

Self given deadline is end of the year - when first OS4 Beta Linux for PowerPC is promised. With full X1000 and Macs PPC support. If that fails, rest is higher math. Free to download.

And from january - a port of Ambient to x86

Quote:
Start time July 1st, 2013 Platforms supported: AmigaOne X1000, legacy PPC Macs, namely G4 and G5. Completion date: Estimated, January 2014 with first Beta being released November 2013 Goals: Simplify PPC install. We want to make it as easy for PPC install as it is for x86 installs. Provide emulation layer to run Amiga OS apps. Evaluate and port if possible, the Ambient Desktop to PPC OS4 OpenLinux, project starting January 2014. Provide the same ease of use for PowerPC as x86, customers and users have access to all multimedia codecs and advanced development tools for high end users.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
If these guys really want to do something about Linux support, they should also support Uboot-based machines: AmigaOne 500, AmigaOne XE, Sam440
This way we could have only one CD for the whole range of systems. It would be great.

Edited by Elwood on 2013/7/4 19:05:37
Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Well it appears the trademark trampling has ceased now so perhaps now we can move forward with some cooperation.

As "Team Lead" I hear a lot of talk from a lot of people. Not much of it leads to actual working software. Time will tell with this one as well.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »