Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 79

flash, sailor, salass00, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Describe with a phrase
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
I would like to hear your voice and opinion about AmigaOS4. Could you describe it with a phrase? Maybe the best thing you like most about it. It would be great to have you opinion gathered.

Let me start:

AmigaOS is my beloved OS because it gives you the feeling of a really fast and great OS for your home computer, whith which you want to communicate, play and enjoy with no headaches.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Re: Describe with a phrase
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Walkero
I assume you in interest only in positive phrases ? If so, then few of positive ones:

- AmigaOS4 are intersting OS, which have potential
- AmigaOS4 core devs do not fear to do radical changes, which can move OS forward
- AmigaOS4 have in developing and Reaction, and MUI.
- AmigaOS(now AmigaOS4) still in developing after 25 years :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

walkero wrote:
Could you describe it with a phrase?

Short one.

Elegance.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
To me, the greatest thing about AmigaOS (apart from the community - which at times is also the worst thing ) is that it is a responsive system which prioritizes the user and the feedback to the user.

(Unlike other systems where a common experience is that you try starting a program, but the system is tied up with something behind the curtains - swapping, virus scanning or whatever - and does not have time to give you any hint about whether it actually registered your double-click. After waiting a minute or two, you decide the double-click didn't register, so you repeat it. After several more minutes, you suddenly face two instances of your program. Don't you just *hate* that ...)

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I like Amiga OS4, because it is an AmigaOS: It lets me organise things how i want them to be done.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Only amiga makes it possible (but whats that i dont know... crashes :)

Joke aside... It just got that feeling i dont get with other OS'es

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
What about Olaf "olsen" Barthel's famous words:

"It's not over yet."

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
AmigaOS, the home computer.
AmigaOS, elegant and simple to use.
AmigaOS, fun, simple and easy to use.
AmigaOS, responsive.
AmigaOS, modern and responsive.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@thread

i don't know if it can be summed up in a phrase. there is so much to like: pervasive scripting, an absolutely gorgeous GUI, capable of running on (very) low-powered hardware, the community, a powerful shell which isn't needed unless the user wants it, and customability beyond measure which is wholly accessible to the user without registries or plists or XML files or *conf files or ....

i suppose i enjoy it because it's just, well, fun. it's different. and it never frustrates me. i can think of little more to add, except that when i need to do work, i'm on a PC. when i'm home, i'm on my amiga.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@eliyahu

Quote:

the community, a powerful shell which isn't needed

:)) That 5+ :) The community and powerfull shell which isn't need it ! :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
In computer operating systems, less was always more.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Thematic
:) We also need to remove drivers from the os, then it will be the true operating system :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
:)) That 5+ :) The community and powerfull shell which isn't need it ! :)

i think you may have misunderstood me.

the shell is very powerful, and very useful, and i'm very glad it's there. the point was that for those who have no need of it, they can still run the system just fine. i meant that the shell is a useful add-on, but all system functions can be done without it should the user desire.

and yes, i like the community very much.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@eliyahu
Quote:

the shell is very powerful, and very useful, and i'm very glad it's there.

I think you mean that shell which are not avail for end users, and avail only for betatesters ? Or you mean current one, which non-powerfull at all ? Anyway, if you mean that shell on which works toniw and which in betatesting, that shell not avail for end users, so we cant say "we like amigaos because of his powerfull shell". For now we can say only "we not have powerfull shell for end users, and will have good one after some time".

@samo79
That is just nick registered for spamming and os4 bashing by someone, usuall stuff :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Yeah i know, i'm just tired with all that childish idiot around ...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The shell isn't a full-blown terminal, like you have on certain other systems. That - and probably some other things - already make it powerful in that you don't have to wait for it to open (on eg. my computer).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Thematic
Your computer is zx-spectrum ?:) I mean shell which have no features, and shell which have many features, does not mean to be slow on loading, slow on opening and all. Just check any shell on any system (putty on winxp, default shell on morphos, some unix shell in X). That is powerfull shells, but they fast.

Our current shell are even without scroll-buffering (that only can be done via 3d party addons like KCon). Kcon addon not make our shell "slow on loading". If it will be slow on some machine, then its just something wrong in the OS, because even on very-very slow machines, fully featured shells works fast.

You know that TonyW works on normall new shell for years, you think he works on it because our current one are good enough and his one will be "full-blown terminal" which will be "long for open" ? You can be sure, we far-far from "full-blown terminal". For that we need to port Putty or kind.

In other words, the main reasson of dissussion, is that our shell not powerfull at all. But maybe that one which in develop and in betatest will be (maybe).

Anyway, saying that "less feature = powerfull", and worring that featured shells will slow on loading make that discussion not so interesting, because in end there can be answers like "we not have that and that = good and powerfull" :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
AmigaOS, freedom & fun

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
"It makes sense to me."

or as the Brits might say...

"I can wrap my head around it."

'non fixed' A1XE, USB card, Sil 0680 IDE, 512mb RAM, Radeon 9250, OS4.1 Update 5
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
AmigaOS4 an OS that understands people and that people can understand

Go to top

Register To Post