Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 140

skynet, orgin, Maijestro, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Installed OS 4.1 on my AmigaOne :-)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Just installed a short while ago, most of the time taken up was copying and freeing up a partition to create space for the SWAP partition.

Looking good so far, the Internet wizard was a dream and so easy - I've configured the sound settings although have no current way to check (moved the stereo across the room a few weeks ago and forgot to get a 10m cable for the A1)

Aside from that, not had much chance to play with it, but things I liked:

* Printed Manual - good walkthrough and well written
* Box Presentation
* Installation procedure, logically laid out and simple
* Configuration procedure once OS 4.1 was installed and after the reboot - this is a great concept, not revolutionary but a neat touch and allowed for automatic user configuration of items such as screenmode, internet (already mentioned) and sound settings without the need to go in and configure manually

Like I said, I've not had much chance to play about with it yet, but I'm liking what I see so far. Not radically different from a visual standpoint from what I can see but my understanding is that a lot of the changes are under the hood anyway, and being quite a casual user I may not even touch some of the features knowingly, but I'm liking this installation approach and the simplicity of it all whilst maintaining that OS 4 familiarity.

This sets things up nicely for future versions. Well done Hyperion and ACube, if this is the standard to go by then I shall look forward to future versions. My hope, as it is with many other users and developers alike, is that we will see this running on other boards in the near future so that others may experience this polished product and Hyperion and other developers can reap the rewards of their hard work over the past seven years.

Thanks for listening, enjoy OS 4.1 Amigans. I've just cracked open a bottle of sparkling to celebrate (thought I'd write this before though, you know my posting goes to pot after a few bevvies)

Kind Regards,
Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Re: Installed OS 4.1 on my AmigaOne :-)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rudei
I have spent most of the past week installing OS 4.1 and then reinstalling all the other software that I used to have running on OS4. Installed 4.1 on a fresh partition and can also say there were no problems at all.
I have tried some things out and found IBrowse in particular seems to run better, although still hits a GR now and again, especially with on line mail like BTinternet. I could not access mail delete or save buttons before and it seems to behave much better with E-Bay also although this site is still a major cause of GR,s.
other things like SCummVM, Amigawriter, amibroker, final data, amiphoto, hollywood , photogenics all appear to work fine.

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rudei

Hold on... you managed it without asking me any stupid questions?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris

I knew you'd say that but the fact is, I'm not a technophobe, I'm just lazy

Yes matey, it was pretty easy. Plus that and the fact I work more with computers now than I ever have means I'm more familiar with IT and much more "aware" of the consequences of my actions.

I'm sure I'll get lazy again and ask you for help, were you feeling neglected?

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Tried an upgrade after arrived today, all works nice so far- even Payback loads but (especially)enter and space keys don't work in game so no use just running around;) Well, more things to test first like this OWB that came yesterday!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swisso

I have spent most of the past week installing OS 4.1
Eee gads, really! It's that difficult? I think I'll postpone the purchase of OS 4.1, thank you!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Snuffy
OS4.1 installation was not difficult. Re installing all my favourite programs and personal files was time consuming especially when I have to edit a lot of the icon tools as well to make it run how I want it to.
Otherwise it was a breeze.
I could have upgraded my OS 4 installation instead and not had to reconfigure everything, but the instruction manual advises against it.
So don't be put off buying OS4.1, it works very well, and I`m sure I don't know enough about the inner workings to have saved myself a lot of time and effort.

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swisso
I could have upgraded my OS 4 installation instead and not had to reconfigure everything, but the instruction manual advises against it.

Really? Thanks for the info. I'll have to wait and see.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Snuffy

Yeah, I'd recommend the upgrade to 4.1, very easy.

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swisso

There's really no reason to install all your fav progs on the system partition. As a developer/betatester I get to replace the whole system quite often and it's much easier if all my progs are on a separate partition (called "Progs").
That way I can replace the whole system without having to reinstall anything. All I have to do is make sure S:User-Startup contains the path.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

I have a aimilar set-up, but there are config files, fonts, def icons, printer drivers, dosdrivers, registration keys, AISS, SObjs, datatypes, libraries...........etc,etc, to update.

I could probably do it in a few hours if I had the time, but I fit that sort of thing around using my A1 for work.
I have got my notes from previous installs, and I am just quietly working through them.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Swoop

I have got my notes from previous installs, and I am just quietly working through them.

I installed Amiga OS4.1 this Thanksgiving holiday. Thanks to OS4 Team for this impressive new update -- nice!
The only problem I'm having now is no system sound. The post-install let me set select 'Sb128'. The sound test in AHI works, but that's all: Sys:prefs/sound doesn't work and none of the music players can't open AHI. I read the AHI USER manual, but it didn't help. The sound system worked perfect in OS4.0, so I'm a bit baffled about why it's not working. Do you got any good note on what may be wrong?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Snuffy

Make sure the volume is turned up on ALL music units in the AHI prefs.

Simon

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Just ordered my copy from Amigakit.com

Do I really need some swap partition for OS4.1?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@AmiKit

not really, but you never know what you'll need in the future

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmiKit

The manual says it's recomended. So i'd say it wouild be smart to set one up,and it doesn't require much space too.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks. Does OS4.1 come with SFS or classic FFS? Would you recommend to install OS4.1 on SFS partition? And what are the possible drawbacks compared to standard FFS?

And one more question or two, what programs should I patch/update right after installing OS4.1? I think OWB is part of the OS4.1, that's one thing, anything else? Or should I leave the job to AmiUpdate? Is it part of the OS?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmiKit

I have sfs on all my partitions. The only drawback si afaik not possible to use recovery tool. Correct me if im wrong. But its though much faster than ffs. Update to the latest owb.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Swisso

Quote:

@Snuffy
OS4.1 installation was not difficult. Re installing all my favourite programs and personal files was time consuming especially when I have to edit a lot of the icon tools as well to make it run how I want it to.
Otherwise it was a breeze.
So don't be put off buying OS4.1, it works very well, and I`m sure I don't know enough about the inner workings to have saved myself a lot of time and effort.

Dividing up you hard drive in to partitions is always smart,

programs on separate partition, most programs depends only on system libraries and fonts, so they will work whit out reinstalling the programs, some programs keeps there config files in program dir so they don?t get lost.

I case you have programs that do not work; you should copy your old workbench partitions to backup directory on different partition.
So all you need to do if a program does not wok, run snoopy, find the library, prefs, font or MUI class that can?t be found by the program, and copy the files over to your clean system partition.

Copy over s:user-startup to your clean system partition.
Copy over s:shell-startup to your clean system partition.
Copy only over the missing backup:prefs/env-archive files over to envarc:

If you have the time you make note about what is needed by etch program, then if have lots of time make install script that will copy the needed files over, next time you run in to this problem you double click a icon and its all done.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmiKit

SFS is faster and has a hidden ?.Recycled? directory for deleted files, SFS tries to stay valid by keeping the old files until the new file is created, there for it does not get as easily invalid, but if does get invalid you are in big troubles recovering it.

SFS should be used on system partition, and your film partition, on your SDK partition because reading lots files on FFS partitions is too slow.

FFS should be used on partitions where you have personal or important files, because if some thing really goes wrong whit SFS there is no way to recover, but whit FFS you can even recover files from none working partitions.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »