Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
248 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 248

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
AOS4.0 UPtime ShowDOWN
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
AOS4.0 prerelease 4
AmigaOne G4 @800 MHz CPU model no. unknown
1.5 GB ram (only will recognize 1 GB)
No fixes
No sii card
DNetc OGR25 running since computer started
AWeb also since computer started, never restarted Aweb
2 shells, many notepads

System has been up since 15-Jul-07 13:00:50 (total uptime 16 days, 00:33:00)

I find that AmiPDF will run fine for a long time (2 days) then almost guaranteed to lock the machine up. But ONLY when it is used, running in the background unused does not ever lead to seizure.

Also, some websites lead AWeb to locking up the computer.

Edit
Highest uptime I have record of:
System has been up since 13-Nov-05 01:34:35 (total uptime 18 days, 06:41:11)
Was using prerelease 1 and 256 MBs. No clue what programs I may have been using.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Re: AOS4.0 UPtime ShowDOWN
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

grrrrrrr

I just opened it up to try a different graphics card and do my annual coin cell update.

I'll have to let it go for a while.

I too, run OGR-25 pretty much steady, but open and close AWeb frequently.

Since July update, even X11 apps like Abiword don't seem to fluster anything.

Anyway, I can't really document it again for a couple weeks, but I regularly get a couple weeks at a time before a reboot.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Atheist

No big up times from me because I've been developing diskimage.device lately and have to do a reboot every now and then to test a new version (not because of crashes or anything like that).

Also I can't sleep with the computer on.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
I've had os4 uptimes in the range of a year or so. But that's more because I didn't touch it for that period and just let it add to the energy bill. But that uptime is not a sign that the OS model is a robust one. It's just proof that in a controlled environment it can stay up for long periods of time. The core AOS way of doing things is not rebust enough for general use (as in beyond the 'safe' enviromnent of specific amiga users) and people really need to start to realise that rather than trying to find non relevant proof of the opposite. There's nothing wrong or bad about it not being there yet and noone needs to feel ashamed about it, it's just the way it is. Hopefully AOS 4.x will get there some day, but it's not there yet.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Atheist

5.AmigaOS:> uptime
System has been up since 01-Aug-07 08:30:12 (total uptime 00:03:26)

It's not a server, so what's the point of leaving it switched on?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

The point is that we want a stable system. A system where a single program can crash without taking down the entire system.

The uptime is not the most important thing. It's just an indication on how stable the system is.

Of course it doesn't mean anything if you're not actually using the computer. If it's just sitting there idle you can probably have it running for a year, as long as the power don't go out.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Mine got frozen about five times half an hour a while ago. (Added another 512Mb) but booted well, then IB-crahes a few times in a row which isn't unusual even on Amiga sites but checksum errors coming and going and even UBoot in Prefs freezing up... Sometimes it works for the full day (with the 512Mb) Sometimes can be a real pain- lucky to have a fast boot! Just testing the mem, now and wow, for an hour without lockups! Just that 1Gig of memory is pretty useless or tell me I'm wrong? (On os4 compared to 512Mb)

(Sil-Card and USB-Hub in an "unfixed" XE, last July-update)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@PR1

Antique did all sort of problems whit his 512Mb ram module, Antique is using my 256Mb ram module now no more crashes in IBrowse, (well I don?t need my 256Mb ram module because my computer is not working anyway), I remember an American dealer talking about specially designed ram for AmigaOne.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/8/6 13:23:53
Edited by LiveForIt on 2007/8/6 14:16:06
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Yes the memory problem might be it. These are two 512 registered Kingston memory simms. (Recommended somewhere too) One came with the AmigaOne when buying new and I think the other one too as I took it for testing from another AOne. Usually not so many crashes but when putting two for 1 Gt allways in random and very usually. Just testing but with the 512Mb in one slot seems to be quite reliable compared to two.

Still works like wind sometimes;)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Paul wrote:

@Atheist

grrrrrrr

Hi Paul,

Hehehehe!

Quote:
salass00 wrote:

Also I can't sleep with the computer on.

Hi salass00,

My pc has like 4 or 5 fans, and is rediculously noisey, and then when the CD-ROM starts, yikes!

Luckily I have another room to sleep in.

Hi orgin,

Well, you're right that we shouldn't need to be embarassed about how short the uptime may be, but we do need to demonstrate that it IS able to have decent uptimes.... If the OS can't stay useful for extended periods, well, it's not working yet then, is it?

The OS itself has to be stable, any program that crashes it, IT has to go and be rewritten. The OS is not responsible for someone else's stupidity, or incapability to master coding. AOS is fantastic because, if someone needs an environment where they WANT to break the rules, they can, that's where the fun comes from, for example, Demos.

System has been up since 15-Jul-07 13:00:50 (total uptime 19 days, 00:34:59)
Also used sgrab. (Closed and opened it about 10 times. It complains it can't find ARexx, but works.)
Here's an interesting note. My cable modem will once every 3 to 7 days disconnect from the internet from my A1 (I don't use a switch or router), but if I unplug the ethernet cable, turn off the modem, start it again, plug the ethernet cable back in, AWeb reconnects, without restarting Aweb.

I believe there's an ATI radeon 7000 in there.

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
Antique did all sort of problems whit his 512Mb ram module, Antique is using my 256Mb ram module now no moew crashes in IBrowse,

No surprise.
Apacer module?

Quote:
I remember an American dealer taking about sensuality designed ram for AmigaOne.

Kurt Grach

Don't trust "memtester" running on OS4.
Testing the module outside of the A1 environment is -way-
more authoritative.

Oh...and Kjetil.."sensuality designed" would indicate it was designed for sexual pleasure, so I think you meant perhaps "specially designed"?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@number6
I know properly working RAM gets me all hot and bothered.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Well, it's crashed!

About half an hour after my longest uptime.

I know what went wrong, though.

It completely froze while using AWeb, but I started the "ed" program from it to look at the source of a page (on AW.N). ("ctrl" + AmigaL + AmigaR wouldn't work, even when depressed for 20 seconds.)

I had the clock visible, and it kept advancing through the seconds (digital format) but the mouse was locked up. Unfortunately dnetc was buried underneath somewhere, and I couldn't see if it was still crunching. Would have been interesting to know if it stll was. It wouldn't have made a difference waiting for the last OGR25 packet I was working on to be finished before resetting though, as it runs from the ram drive and the results would have been lost. What I do is every 8 hours or so is save the most current results to the HD, so only one or two at most packets were lost.

What I completely think happened is that the video card ran out of ram.

I had like 14 AWeb windows open on the desktop, ~4 notepads, 2 shells, the calculator, dnetc, PLUS in AWeb I increased all the font sizes by 4 points, some more than that. When I get a particularly large page to load, such as on AW.N with those 20 posts per page, if I scroll down the page moves, but if the page stretches off to the right and I have to slide over, almost always it seizes up for upto 20 seconds, then it redraws to where I scrolled over to, and I can freely slide left and right from that point on.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@PR1

The 512mb sim i had,was the one shipped with the a1. Don't remember the type etc,for that ask Kjetil(liveforit). I had crashes quite often,couldn't boot the final cd,had to install everything after running the os. Had to replace the mui with some files from upd#4. Ib crashed quite often. All kinda problems. With kjetils sim ib is very stable. Have installed final,and even july update without problems. And the strange part is that the 512 sim i had was tested in kjetils xe and seemd to work ok. And the 512 sim i had i did test using memtester for several hours without problems.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

Quote:
And the strange part is that the 512 sim i had was tested in kjetils xe and seemd to work ok. And the 512 sim i had i did test using memtester for several hours without problems.

The fact that it "seemed" to work ok in another machine and that is "seemed" to pass memtester both mean little here.
The only sure way we know to check memory and isolate potential issues is to test memory -outside- of the A1 environment.
Then, if it is judged sound, put it back in the A1.
That way, at least the memory itself can be removed from the trouble shooting equation.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@number6

Just my personal opinion, but I get the impression that some "iffy" DIMMs work OK in someone else's A1. If true, that suggests that it's the combination of the A1 and the DIMM that will fail, probably randomly and probably only in certain address ranges and with certain data contents. Of course, it may be "true" only because the other person's A1 is used very differently in practice.

To say that "it works OK with xxx application now" is not very meaningful. We still need a stand-alone memory tester program that tests memory without OS4 running. I don't think we'll ever get such a thing, but it would be the only sure test regime.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
System has been up since 16-Oct-07 20:38:22 (total uptime 26 days, 16:14:10)

My AmigaOne has been on for 24/7 for nearly 7 months now.

I have had it off for a day or 2 here and there, but for the most part it's almost always on.

I HATE having to use my windross system, and have used it very little during this time. If a page doesn't work, (java, or SWF, or movie file), well, I just don't get to see it.

Sure hope we get IB 3.0 soon.... Must get IB2.3, or is it 2.4 that's most current?

LOVE this computer/AOS!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
System has been up since 16-Oct-07 20:38:22 (total uptime 26 days, 16:14:10)

My AmigaOne has been on for 24/7 for nearly 7 months now.

I have had it off for a day or 2 here and there, but for the most part it's almost always on.

erm ... why is so important for you? and btw, if you have rebooted it or it was down for a day or 2, that uptime is not valid anymore

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@all

I seldom leave my A1 running overnight and its only switched on in the evenings during the week, and for certain periods over the weekend. This uptime thing, you guys are crazy!

Its not Windows or MacOSX if you can't wait the 30 or so seconds OS4 needs to boot, you need to learn a bit of patience!

I'd rather only have my MicroA1 running when I am actually using it, not having its parts wearing out through lack of use

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mikey_C

/patented "Scaring the life out of Mikey_C" mode ON

You are aware that leaving electronical devices OFF for a
certain amount of time and only using it "When it's needed"
will ware off the parts much faster than when you have it
actually running 24/7?

Not to talk about the fact the battery will drain much
faster too, leading to the infamous "AOne won't boot"
situation.

Electronics aren't cars, you know?
But they have some in it!
(and now go and figure why cars won't start sometimes)

/patented "Scaring the life out of Mikey_C" mode OFF

I too think these geeks should get a life

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »