Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

FlynnTheAvatar, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »
Word processing
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi there,

I have a couple of questions concerning word processing on AmigaOS 4.

1) Which program is deemed the most popular amongst users today?

2) Are there any word processors compatible with AmigaOS 4 that supports the use of footnotes?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Go to top
Re: Word processing
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@BobSacamano

1) I still use Wordsworth.
2) Wordworth does.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@BobSacamano

i haven't the foggiest what the most popular option is these days, but the big names still work on the NG machines. i've got wordworth 7, finalwriter 97, and amigawriter 2.2 on my pegasos2 right now, for example. i tend to use amigawriter mostly.

there is also cinnamon writer, which is a work-in-progress, although i don't think it supports footnotes/headers yet. and thomas frieden is also working on a port of libreoffice in his spare time under contract from A-EON, but it's anyone's guess as to when that will be available in a usable form.

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Using Wordworth7 here. Seems good apart from a DSI on startup which can be ignored. Anyone know how to stop that?

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BobSacamano

AbiWord / AmiCygnix.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

I have to say, as much as I would love to see a decent native Office Suite or even just a feature rich native Word Processor, I am finding myself using Abiword so I can also transfer it to my Linux box if I need to create a print out of the document as well.

I do have a copy of Cinnamon Writer installed which I have used for some quick documents but I tend to stick to Abiword due to the extra functionality I need and it provides.

As for Wordworth and Final Writer, I only own older versions of them and recent version copies don't pop up all that often these days.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I am using Wordworth7, no problem on mY SAM 440 or 46o with initial DSI
There is a thread on how to use the numeric keypad here
http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum ... t_id=50695#forumpost50695

I do use Abiword on Amicygnix too:  still slower ('requesters etc) but you need it to output in different formats
I am not sure if Abiword also accepts docx format: i do use Cinnamon writer for this.
I tried to install Amigawriter a couple of times, but had problems to set it up
Presntely i don't use Final writer, but it works well.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Yes, Abiword does docx.
Amigawriter unfortunately doesn't work with the franch locale under OS4

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDuchit

AmigaWriter works fine, just DO NOT use the PPC version, it's WOS not OS4, Stick to the 68k version.

AmigaWriter supports Footnotes iirc

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Many thanks for the information concerning the various word processors that are available. It is great that there are several to choose from. I will certainly try a few of them in the near future. Thanks again.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BobSacamano

AbiWord is the most modern word processor for OS4.1 that can save in docx format. You have to install AmiCygnix first but it's worth it.

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@severin

I gave Amigawriter a new try on my SAM460

I had previous installs 2.2 68k and PPC 2.2 on my HD (but they were copied over from my other SAm)

- trying to launch the 68k version i got a complaint that wizard.library was not found.

- I then digged up my CD and tried to install the 2.2 68k version in a new directory

In fact the installer does not seem to give you a choice and installs the 68k version it seems.
I got a grimreaper during install after a choice you have to make about having a graphic card or not. Maybe i made the wrong choice.

Anyway after that i retried the existing 2.2 68k verions form its drawer, and now it started up OK .
The wizard.library was probably copied to libs: during install.

I got a crash though very soon when editing a file;

See something that could cause this ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@severin

I gave Amigawriter a new try on my SAM460

I had previous installs 2.2 68k and PPC 2.2 on my HD (but they were copied over from my other SAm)

- trying to launch the 68k version i got a complaint that wizard.library was not found.

- I then digged up my CD and tried to install the 2.2 68k version in a new directory

In fact the installer does not seem to give you a choice and installs the 68k version it seems.
I got a grimreaper during install after a choice you have to make about having a graphic card or not. Maybe i made the wrong choice.

Anyway after that i retried the existing 2.2 68k verions form its drawer, and now it started up OK .
The wizard.library was probably copied to libs: during install.

I got a crash though very soon when editing a file;

See something that could cause this ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Quote:
- trying to launch the 68k version i got a complaint that wizard.library was not found.

Make sure you don't install the included, broken version of wizard.library but the fixed OS4 version from Alinea instead, it's at the end of http://software.alinea-computer.de/seiten/downloads_uk.php

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Final Writer 97 is the most professional word processor for the Amiga.

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Somehow Cinnamon Writer generates unreadable text with printing, unlike FinalWriter. Worthword doesn't work with my Amiga :( Yes I have changed icon tooltype to picasso, or something like that.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Ricossa

I was ocnvinced you were right about the Amigawriter not working under french locale.
Indeed i started trying with my system using french, and even the window to register came up with nonsensical strings.

I have lost hours to try to reconstitue a better french catalog. (not really, i did learn a lot about catalogs)

In dping my final tests and putting back the original french catalog, all seems to work well. The french strings appearing are the correct ones.

Did you have other problems?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@BobSacamano

Hi,

FinalWriter V5.05 is by far the best. Over the years, I have bought WordWorth, and AmigaWriter, but I love FinalWriter.

I was a union steward at my job for a while and I did all my work using FinalWriter, and I represented over 150 employees. It is a great program, I only wish Softwood would release the source code and open source it, so we could continue development and make is OS 4 native.

I have the manual for FinalWriter V2 and all the disks if anyone is interested in them, drop me a PM.

Yogi

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@yogi32

But would you pay for an updated version of Finalwriter for aos4?

:)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Yes, I would pay for an updated version... one minor features should be updated/implented:

1) Euro support for the main fonts

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »