Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

kishigo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »
Re: AmiWest 2012 News?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I use OpenOffice at work and swear by it... am I more or less correct in thinking that Libre Office is a successor to OpenOffice (because development of OpenOffice has slowed right down)?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Daz
That's probably a good choice:)

@ssolie
Thanks for taking the time to clarify things for those who couldn't be at the show.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I must say how disappointed I feel at the lack of news regarding the Netbook.

We need to get more people back into the AmigaOS platform and at the projected price, the Amiga Netbook would bring people back.

Sadly, it seems that there either isn't the will or most likely, the finance to bring the project to fruition.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@Rogue
I'll try and handle the usual barrage of questions. I just posted on aw first because that is where a majority of the more colourful rumours are starting from.

I'm travelling today so I will check in when I can.

In that case, you should have started it on MooBunny, that's where the real colorful stuff comes from.

But let's face it. No matter what is said or not said on the show (or any show for the matter), there is always people going to be disappointed. Look at the reactions to Warp3D ("Gallium is doomed, then...!") or LibreOffice ("Bloated piece of ***"). It seems to me that whatever is said, people will find a reason to pick on it, and I really don't understand it.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rogue

I for one welcome the news of Libre office and any other bit of software for AmigaOS.

Everyone's a critic - trust me

Mikey C

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Mikey_C wrote:

We need to get more people back into the AmigaOS platform and at the projected price, the Amiga Netbook would bring people back.

Sadly, it seems that there either isn't the will or most likely, the finance to bring the project to fruition.

I wish the netbook project was further advanced as it is right now, but you are putting too much hope into that. I personally don't think that a netbook will be able to draw a lot of people back into the Amiga market.

In any case, though, you shouldn't make assumptions about the reasons for delays. They might be different from what you think, and this way, you will only start more rumors.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Troels wrote:
@Rogue
I don't see any ANY whining in Solie's AW thread.
I don't see any clear answers yet either.

I admit I expected worse from aw.net, but I haven't read it in ages and it might be that the general climate improved a bit.

Giving clear answers isn't easy. Remember that neither Steven nor myself are anything but developers. If it were up to us, we'd be talking about every little detail, but we're not the marketing guys and there are reasons why companies chose to announce things as they are. We don't have much control over that.

Quote:

Regarding Libreoffice that's great news, I use it regularly on PC (quite powerful one) and it would be great for future Amigas as well (X1000 and up).

Does anyone know who is doing the actual porting?

I know, but since I don't know whether the person wants to be named, I shall not say either.

Plainly, I have yet to see any reason why LibreOffice on the Amiga is a bad thing, and I applaud the effort - that won't be an easy project.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Mikey_C wrote:
@Rogue

I for one welcome the news of Libre office and any other bit of software for AmigaOS.

Everyone's a critic - trust me

Yeah, I know.. it's not like there aren't things that I would have rather seen done differently.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Rogue wrote:
Quote:

Mikey_C wrote:

I wish the netbook project was further advanced as it is right now, but you are putting too much hope into that. I personally don't think that a netbook will be able to draw a lot of people back into the Amiga market.

Can't speak for everyone, but I can definitely say that I'm waiting for the netbook to come out before I jump in. I was never an Amiga user even though I am old enough to have been. Even though I had a C64 back in the 80s, I never graduated to an Amiga. I became interested in Amiga OS recently because I decided to do a search on it out of curiosity to see if Amiga still existed in some capacity. I was pleasantly surprised that it does! While I considered briefly purchasing an A1 X500, I have no space for a desktop computer, and also spending US $1000 on one is outside my budget. However a $300-$500 portable would definitely be my entry into the community.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

Rogue wrote:

In any case, though, you shouldn't make assumptions about the reasons for delays. They might be different from what you think, and this way, you will only start more rumors.

Whilst I appreciate this may be considered a small sample, please look at the following links outside the Amiga community which regarding the news last year about the Netbook...

http://forum.micromart.co.uk/Topic443639.aspx

http://oldschoolgameblog.com/2011/10/ ... -4-you-better-believe-it/

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61555

There are others if you are willing to wade through search engines, but I honestly believe that pitched at the right price, the Amiga Netbook could bring a lot more users back to the Amiga Platform.

I would say, an Amiga Netbook with, say, Libre Office, Timberwolf and a couple of Hyperion's games like Freespace and possibly Quake II or maybe Heretic 2 would certainly make people take a look at it.

Or perhaps my comments are just too rose tinted ??

Mikey C

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@CommodoreRock

Quote:
Can't speak for everyone, but I can definitely say that I'm waiting for the netbook to come out before I jump in. I was never an Amiga user even though I am old enough to have been. Even though I had a C64 back in the 80s, I never graduated to an Amiga. I became interested in Amiga OS recently because I decided to do a search on it out of curiosity to see if Amiga still existed in some capacity. I was pleasantly surprised that it does! While I considered briefly purchasing an A1 X500, I have no space for a desktop computer, and also spending US $1000 on one is outside my budget. However a $300-$500 portable would definitely be my entry into the community.

i also joined the amiga community without having ever owned -- or indeed used -- an amiga from the commodore days. but in 2010 i took the plunge and bought a SAM440ep-flex and have never looked back.

if the issue is form factor, i.e., you are only interested in a portable system, then that's one thing. but if the issue is price, then the good news is that you don't need to spend $1000USD on a new system. for example acube systems is still offering brand-new SAM440ep-flex boards for as little as $350USD. of course you'd still need to purchase the OS license, but you could easily build a nice little box for under $600.

if you're willing to purchase used systems -- my SAM was and i had no issues -- i highly recommend watching the sales over at amibay or the amigaworld classifieds.

in any case i hope some of the available options are compelling enough to pique your interest. remember there are other used boards such as the pegasos2 and amigaone XE that go on offer every now and then that can be great buys. if you find something ask about the pros and cons and folks around here can help you. good luck!

-- eliyahu

"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I am not doubting that there is interest, quite the contrary. I am just trying to say you shouldn't think it will magically attract thousands of new users.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Rogue wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Regarding Libreoffice that's great news, I use it regularly on PC (quite powerful one) and it would be great for future Amigas as well (X1000 and up).

Does anyone know who is doing the actual porting?

I know, but since I don't know whether the person wants to be named, I shall not say either.

Plainly, I have yet to see any reason why LibreOffice on the Amiga is a bad thing, and I applaud the effort - that won't be an easy project.

True. Having LibreOffice would be great, I think nobody thinks it's a bad thing. But it normal to have doubts when such a project is announced, even more knowing history.

Some people can think effort would be spent elsewhere. Maybe, maybe not. Having ported dmake and provided some support with the author of OOLight, I know that it's not easy : huge project, old and complicated build system (for me), ... and I had problems that could be related to the shell (handling environment variables). Maybe I could share more if needed.
Anyway, at least working on such a project will help to improve the OS.

I wish him good luck !

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue Quote:
I am not doubting that there is interest, quite the contrary. I am just trying to say you shouldn't think it will magically attract thousands of new users.

On it's own maybe not, but with the addition of (say) Timberwolf (and perhaps LibreOffice) I think it might well do.

OTOH, I'm not sure if a low-powered Netbook would be powerful enough to run a (finished optimised version of) Timberwolf.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rogue

Just to say that it's like that for everything : 20% whinning, 80% happy (and silent). I'm in the latter part

Keep up the good work.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

corto wrote:

True. Having LibreOffice would be great, I think nobody thinks it's a bad thing. But it normal to have doubts when such a project is announced, even more knowing history.

I got a different impression, at least two complained about "not wanting it" and "bloated piece of xxx".

Quote:
Some people can think effort would be spent elsewhere.

Like where? There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding what can and cannot be done. EVERYBODY has been yelling for productivity apps constantly. Yet, when you say "we're doing it", then someone else comes up and says the effort would be better spent elsewhere.

The problem is, however, you have to start somewhere. What is being prioritized is a matter of circumstances and capacity.

Quote:
Having ported dmake and provided some support with the author of OOLight, I know that it's not easy : huge project, old and complicated build system (for me), ... and I had problems that could be related to the shell (handling environment variables). Maybe I could share more if needed.
Anyway, at least working on such a project will help to improve the OS.

Feel free to contact me about this issue. IIRC, the man behind the OOLight port didn't have any prior Amiga experience, that might just have been too much of a first project.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
OTOH, I'm not sure if a low-powered Netbook would be powerful enough to run a (finished optimised version of) Timberwolf.

Something like Timberwolf is essential for a netbook IMO. We'll make an effort to have it run decently on that hardware. But we still need some more infrastructure in the OS for that, and we're building towards it.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rogue

Quote:
I got a different impression, at least two complained about "not wanting it" and "bloated piece of xxx".

Talking and complaining is not quite the same.

Understand that we all want the best for Amigans and we may have different ideas on the solution to choose.
Anyway, it will be LibreOffice so be it.
Now do the faster Office you can and we'll all like it

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Could LibreOffice use the same environement developped for Timberwolf?

Go to top
Anonymous

Final 3D RadeonHD driver for SAM460 and X1000 secured is kind of repetition of known news.

So only real news is LibreOffice, hope we will be able to see progress, as task is assumably more complex then Firefox aka Timberwolf. Since port is AEON funded are any bounties expected, will it be free for all AOS users in the end or some kind of payment is expected?

But, with completition of SAM 460 / x1000 drivers, new OS version and free Office suite, things would certainly look as good starting point for the future as major gaps in hardware avail, OS stability and features and productivity will be done.

x1000 production run is said to be limited by demand, and that demand still exists. Assume A-EON future plans will be announced when X1000 is exhausted, as product announcement may make people save money for next project?

Sadly, from progress so far it looks uncertain point of next year to reach most, if not all of it. Seems that slowness of progress is what hurt. Is there any way users could speed up the process?

Also is netbook alive as concept would be needed clarification, and is it scheduled after announced projects or some work will be done paralelly.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »