Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »
AmiWest 2012 News?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
So, AmiWest is taking place right now. Any news or announcements?

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Re: AmiWest 2012 News?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Lyle is on right now talking about his xena development

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I think this years event is a boring one in termes of news. :(

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
What happened to this laptop? Been waiting a while for it .. No news on that?

PEG2 G4 with OS4.1 .. Classic A1200 with 68060 @ 60 mhz
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
No, no netbook news unfortunately.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@328gts
Quote:

328gts wrote:
Lyle is on right now talking about his xena development

And, what did he show/present?

@Antique
Quote:
I think this years event is a boring one in termes of news. :(

The show isn't over yet...

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I am also regularly looking the forums for news, pointers on blogs or documents.

TearsOfMe: Argh, about LibreOffice, I can talk from my experience to port OOLight with the guy that created it from OpenOffice. Even with no Java, reduced code, his support, ... it was very difficult. Too much, in fact. I hope that the build system has evolved (and our shell would have too). My fear is that Trevor had the eyes bigger than the stomach. But good luck anyway !

Maybe one day we will see more than the shadow of the beast.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Yes, I would have prefered a financement for Bash or similar before announcing such huge project.

Also I don't want a monster like this requiring Java. Also OOoLight is LGPL too so it could even be released with the OS.

As a side note, I think many people choose "Libre"Office because of its "Libre" name wheras Apache OpenOffice (its new name) is under the Apache license like Apache and many other tools. So it's not less "libre" at all and it may be better guarantee for quality

Edited by Elwood on 2012/10/21 12:17:59
Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
What about a native Abiword? That's quite good, isn't it? By "native" I don't mean using X.

OpenOffice struggles on my work mac mini with dualcore 2.5Ghz and 4GB of RAM. It's just a bloated load of ..... IMO.

Lawrence

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Great, someone announces LibreOffice, people complain about it. If they would have announced an Abiword port, you would have complained about "Why not OpenOffice/LibreOffice/SomeOtherOffice" or "Why not port Doom 3 instead".

Elwood, no offense, but this sort of destructive comment is uncalled for. If they want LibreOffice, let them do LibreOffice... you don't have to use it when it's out, you know

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

Also I don't want a monster like this requiring Java. Also OOoLight is LGPL too so it could even be released with the OS.

Then don't use it. Problem solved. What are you complaining about?

And...

a) LibreOffice does not require Java. It needs Java for certain things like the database.

b) I wish we had Java, at least we had access to a good number of productivity software that is no missing.

c) It's not your frigging money on the line here, so what exactly are you complaining about?

d) Have you actually looked at any of the offerings? Maybe there is a specific reason for picking LibreOffice?

Quote:
As a side note, I think many people choose "Libre"Office because of its "Libre" name wheras Apache OpenOffice (its new name) is under the Apache license like Apache and many other tools. So it's not less "libre" at all and it may be better guarantee for quality

As a side note, you are wrong. A lot of people chose "Libre"office because OpenOffice was on hiatus for over two years while LibreOffice was still being developed. You hidden statement that LibreOffice might be of less quality than OpenOffice is not only ridiculous, but also insulting.

I am sorry, but if you have nothing better to do than piss on an honest and productive effort, you should maybe just abstain from commenting.

@Aslak3

Quote:
OpenOffice struggles on my work mac mini with dualcore 2.5Ghz and 4GB of RAM. It's just a bloated load of ..... IMO.

... and the same to for you. Bloated load of...? What are you talking about?

It's quite easy. Don't like it, don't use it.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Aslak3

None of AbiWord or OpenOffice/LibrieOfiice can rally compete whit MicrosoftOffice, but they are useful and they do work, but the VB macro stuff is not supported, I think AbiWord supports an older MSWord file format, and LibrieOfiice is bigger package that consists of not just a word processor, but you have a spreadsheet (OpenOffice Calc), the PowerPoint like presentation application (OpenOffice Impress), and lots more can’t remember atm, so OpenOffice/LibrieOffice is pretty complete package compared to AbiWord.

An office application does not need to be horrible fast, so X or is not that big problem, and last version of X for AmigaOS made it look like they were normal windows on workbench.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Since it came up elsewhere, I would ask anybody not to make any assumptions about the state of Gallium3D. These announcements don't say anything about Gallium, and whatever you think personally is just speculation.

Some things will become obvious later.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks it’s was easy to get the impression it was cancelled; it was hard to tell what was worked on and not from the Q&A.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2012/10/21 14:16:41
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt
I didn't watch the presentation, just read the announcement about Warp3D: But how could anyone get the impression that Gallium 3D + MESA was cancelled?

I presume that Warp3D won't *use* Gallium 3D, and thus we can get it sooner than if it did run on top of Gallium 3D (i.e. no need to wait for AmigaOS4.2).

Presumably this also frees the Frieden's from having to spend time implementing a Warp3D wrapper, so that they can concentrate on other things.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Warp3D was announced as EOL (End Of Life), and Gallium 3D was the future, that was AmiWest 2011. Now in AmiWest 2012 we are getting Warp3D drivers so it’s easy to assume something whent horribly wrong whit Gallium drivers, because that was not the plan. We are not beta testers, so we do not have information that some of you take for granted, it’s easy to speculate, I think Hans-Jörg Frieden comment was necessary to clear that up.

Edited by LiveForIt on 2012/10/21 17:35:40
Edited by LiveForIt on 2012/10/22 0:08:57
(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Awesome news about LibreOffice! i switched to that from OpenOffice during the uncertainty period before Oracle decided what to do with it. I also underatsnd the Libre people were more open to new features and patches, while Sun preferred in-house developments and tended to refuse outside work no matter how good it was. So LibreOffice is a little better in some areas than OpenOffice.

I was really hoping for netbook news. I WANT ONE!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Rogue wrote:
Since it came up elsewhere, I would ask anybody not to make any assumptions about the state of Gallium3D. These announcements don't say anything about Gallium, and whatever you think personally is just speculation.

Some things will become obvious later.

many thanks for clearing that up as it was muddy during the Q&A session

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Sad about no news on the netbook.

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post