Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: What gfx cards will work with Gallium3D on a Sam440?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmigaBlitter
Please see posts #2 & #3

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hanz
Have a one more question: How all the gallium3d/mesa code will be avail for end users ? I mean will it direct commits to Gallium3D / Mesa repo, so we all can use bug-trackers, use newer drivers (which comes everyday) and so on. Or its all will be closed sources from all the users, and will be just released 1 time in 1-2 years (some stable versions) ?

I know you are not one who make decissions about , but maybe you have any info about ?

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

I'm not hans but guessing that releases will be made with new os4 updates.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique
I guess too much myself already, but still in interest to know what Hanz to know about. The way how gallium team works with drivers (they everyday make updates in the drivers), will make "releases with updates" a bit slow for all the users.

I.e. gallium team will make radical speedup for example in one day, but with "releases with updates" only os4 users will wait 1 year to have ability to use that. That is why i hope that Hyperion will put their code to Gallium repo itself, and so, we all (any user) will be able to compile and use any new drivers byself : and for testing and for bug-hunting purposes.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
yes its done daily, just like how work on OS4.x is, however if you look at OS4.x and the main linux distros they dont update it every day either, and on linux they have many more man-hours available.

look at http://www.mesa3d.org/ and you will see that even with daily changes to the code, they still wait until they have a stable release to announce it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@derfs
I know all of this. Question not about that. Question about how Hyperion will to do the porting stuff: with sharing the ported gallium drivers for everyone, or everything will be closed sourced, and released 1 time in a years.

Of course opensource projects have their stabled and beta versions, but not having ability to do tests of new changes which will come everyday, will limit all of us to the same problems as with warp3d: reporting of bugs, and waiting a years for fixes.

I ask not about user-releases, i just in hope that sources of aos4 related parts (expectually gallium3d drivers) will be avail in main gallium repo, so, all the developers (not only hanz and rogue), will able to compile and test new (everyday) versions. The same as we have with minigl or with SDL : everyone can contribute, report bugs, fix them, and update the code.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@Hanz
Have a one more question: How all the gallium3d/mesa code will be avail for end users ? I mean will it direct commits to Gallium3D / Mesa repo, so we all can use bug-trackers, use newer drivers (which comes everyday) and so on. Or its all will be closed sources from all the users, and will be just released 1 time in 1-2 years (some stable versions) ?

I know you are not one who make decissions about , but maybe you have any info about ?

You may have already noticed that the code is currently private. I expect that this will remain so at least until the port is finalised and stable. Given that this is going to become an integral part of the OS, it is critical that it is done properly, by people with the right expertise and a good understanding of the OS' internals. The only people who have both of those are members of the OS4 developer team, so opening up the source right now will not help; in fact, it could hinder both progress and the quality.

Then there's the matter of application developers and binary compatibility. Care is being taken to make sure that the port is well designed and integrated into the OS. As such, releasing code/binaries that may completely change would be a bad idea. It may be necessary to break binary compatibility, which is a lot harder if people are already using the code. We do not want a situation in which we have to choose between good design and maintaining compatibility with software that other people have released.

Finally, I'd just like to clarify that I have not yet started working on the Gallium code. I'm currently working on the backend in my driver that the Gallium drivers will use in order to get shared access to the hardware.

Hans

P.S. Please stop making predictions on how long it will take, as you have no idea.

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hanz
I not talking about opening something right now. I talking about plans for future.

Quote:

Finally, I'd just like to clarify that I have not yet started working on the Gallium code. I'm currently working on the backend in my driver that the Gallium drivers will use in order to get shared access to the hardware.

Thanks for clarify, that what many of us want to know. So you work on backend, and rogue works on gallium3d code itself for now, right ?

Quote:

P.S. Please stop making predictions on how long it will take, as you have no idea.

I have idea that it will be no fast for sure. Because i see how aros developers works on it. All in all soon will be 1 year since amiwest 2010, where gallium3d was annonced. But i cross the fingers in hope that it will be released after 1 year since now.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e
I see what you're doing, you're pestering Hans so that he spills some beans...
However don't doubt his word when talking graphic programming as he is quite The expert.
I know how you feel, you want to know "when", "how", details and so on, and patience is at a premium these days...
And besides, amigans are a very tough crowd :)

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@Hanz
I not talking about opening something right now. I talking about plans for future.

In that case I have absolutely no idea.

Quote:

Thanks for clarify, that what many of us want to know. So you work on backend, and rogue works on gallium3d code itself for now, right ?

Rogue is working on the whole MESA port of which Gallium 3D is a sub-component.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

Just to continue the pestering: Is there anything _we_ can do to speed up the process? I'm thinking in terms of money, beer, kind words of consideration etc...?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
How about not posting on the forums so the developers have to waste time answering posts with empty answers just to satisfy a morbid curiosity for information?

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
morbid curiosity?

Don't be so apocalyptic! Just take the beer and enjoy it, because:

Graveness buries the fun!

kind regards,
nexus

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@simon
I think that Kas1e is *trying* to help (in his own ummm unique way) ensure Gallium3D on OS4 is as successful as it can be. Maybe not very helpful in this case, but hopefully the developers will at least consider the issues he brought up (if they haven't already considered them).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
"The Sam440ep's built-in graphics chip will NOT be supported by Gallium3D"

:(

Then I (for one) need to upgrade or "sidegrade". 2D on M9 + 3D on a 33Mhz PCI does not appeal to me...

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rigo

As usual...
If the Hyperion blog wss updated at least one time every 2 weeks with writing in it what are all you(devcelopers) doing(simply making a list no necessarily a complete eta...), all of we wiill be (VERY)less pesting and annoying...

I(and many more guys around) dont like the silence we have to get much of the time...

Only that imho...

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@KimmoK
The Sam440 was never particularly suited to 3D, but I suspect you would still see a benefit from Gallium3D on the Sam440ep's (i.e NOT Flex) 33Mhz bus.

But to minimise the impact of a slower bus speed (compared to internal gfx chip) it might be best to get the Radeon X1550 (which Hans recommends for Classic PPC Amigas due to their very slow buses).

@Tuxedo Quote:
If the Hyperion blog wss updated at least one time every 2 weeks with writing in it what are all you(devcelopers) doing(simply making a list no necessarily a complete eta...), all of we wiill be (VERY)less pesting and annoying...

I(and many more guys around) dont like the silence we have to get much of the time...

I really don't get this. Software development does NOT happen linearly: It can takes ages of boring "ground work" before you get ANY visible results, and then the impressive stuff sometimes may only take a little more work after that.

Which means that they CAN'T post regular updates, because they would often only be able to write "We are still working on it, but have nothing exciting to report". They WILL report when they have something to report! Most likely when it is 80%+ done.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)