Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

any chance we get USB2.0 before 2011 ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
fingers crossed

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Re: any chance we get USB2.0 before 2011 ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@328gts

At least I know that I sent several USB hardware to the developer, so I hope it was for something

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@328gts

A bit late now. Better off skipping straight to USB3

A1XE G4 800Mhz, 512Mb, Sil0680, ATI9200se 128Mb, Sounblaster Live & Catweazle Mk3 with SID chip +OS4.1.
A4000 233MhzPPC/04025Mhz, 112Mb, CyberPPC, OS3.9
Other Amiga's A4000, A2000 A500+, A500 & various hardware. 15+ other retro machines.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Arnie
I don't see why. USB3 is likely more complex than USB2, and it may even be a super-set of USB2 (in which case you'd need to implement USB2 before doing USB3). Plus very few USB3 devices out there, and USB2 is good enough for many things.

Best to trust the judgement of OS4's developers on such matters - they generally know what's best, given their available resources.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Arnie

i'll be happy with USB2.0 now instead of 3.0 later

Edited by 328gts on 2010/7/25 4:23:45
mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
Plus very few USB3 devices out there, and USB2 is good enough for many things.

It's funny how this pops up again, the exact argument was used when USB2 came - and look where that argument lead.

Maybe you should look more carefully for USB3 devices, I count many products already in my regular webshops. Disks and memory sticks (and this time the bottleneck for speed is in the media itself, and not in controller/cable), video capture devices, cameras, and hubs ofcourse - definetly more to come.

-- kolla
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kolla

USB 2 please and ASAP.

I see no reason for USB 3 development as there is no Amiga hardware with USB 3 ports and unless someone knows any different, I don't believe the X1000 or SAM460 are going to have them.

Let's get USB2 so that we can fully utilise the hardware in our current Amiga systems that is currently crippled by USB 1 only drivers.

Sold up all my Amiga gear, not only an Amigan via Amiga Forever!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH
indeed, my cousin just bought a new PC with USB 3.0 and has no device taking advantange of it.
USB 2.0 will be the main tech for quite some time.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
USB3 is like Blu-Ray... pointless.

The successful transition the entire world made from VHS to DVD was down to it fitting into the digital age at the time. It just offers the home user everything.

DVD sales are now down, I don't know about Blu-Ray sales, but like Music the future for video now lies in online/downloaded content as the hard drive has exceeded people's dreams and storage requirements and most importantly is dirty cheap.

Physical ownership of media content is a dying concept due to several factors which include the fact that the amount of content available is extreme as music labels and film production companies export hundreds if not thousands of titles each year. People are more likely to wait and buy a box-set for example.

Second is the green issue; the understanding that every individual has a responsibility to the world around them.

Did you know? Over the next two years Renault and Citreon will be releasing a complete range of electric-powered vehicles across Europe and beyond.

Further Info: http://www.renault-ze.com/uk/#/uk.html

Very welcoming indeed I must say. Take a look... like something from Back to the Future.

Edited by djrikki on 2010/7/25 14:03:08
Edited by djrikki on 2010/7/25 14:03:59
Edited by djrikki on 2010/7/25 14:05:36
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@djrikki
Quote:

USB3 is like Blu-Ray... pointless.

Once you've watched blu-ray on a suitable TV you won't want to go back to DVD. Simply as, the quality in terms of detail and colour is much better than DVD. Blu-ray players and discs have dropped in price significantly over the last year.

I'm sure people said USB2 was pointless and some proberbly still do but I really notice the lack of USB2 in AmigaOS, transfering files takes much longer.

Quote:

DVD sales are now down, I don't know about Blu-Ray sales, but like Music the future for video now lies in online/downloaded content as the hard drive has exceeded people's dreams and storage requirements and most importantly is dirty cheap.

Downloading music works becuase MP3s take less space and are a good portable format and there is demand for portable music and has been for a long time. But the demand for video is far less and always will be. Until we have a better broadband infrastructure in the UK, i.e. fibreoptic network, downloadable movies won't really be able to compete with blu-ray.

USB3 is important, current technologies are needed in AmigaOS so people take notice and while I enjoy using AmigaOS I would also like to be able to take advatage of the latest tech, the late 80s were great but I for one don't wish to be stuck in a perpetual technological time warp.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tommo1975
Quote:

I see no reason for USB 3 development as there is no Amiga hardware with USB 3 ports and unless someone knows any different, I don't believe the X1000 or SAM460 are going to have them.

Support the technology in the OS and hardware developers will include it. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, which came first?

The X1000 should if it is going to be the 'future proof' investment it has been claimed to be.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Daniel
Quote:

The X1000 should if it is going to be the 'future proof' investment it has been claimed to be.

I, for one, won't be investing in any new OS4 hardware unless it has at least USB 2.0. The fastest computer in the world would be of little interest to me if it communicates with external devices at speeds from the previous century.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

I'm sure Hyperion and A-Eon are well aware of that fact....can you imagine reviews of the X1000 if it does not have USB2.0 at a minimum after all the hype

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@328gts

Hyperion are well aware of OS4's shortcomings and are working on it.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Daniel

Quote:

Once you've watched blu-ray on a suitable TV you won't want to go back to DVD. Simply as, the quality in terms of detail and colour is much better than DVD. Blu-ray players and discs have dropped in price significantly over the last year.

That really depends a lot on the movie, while you get a lot from the enhanced details on a movie full of vfx like "Avatar", I would never pay the extra bucks to have some romco like "The Bounty Hunter" on BluRay.
There's really no need to have that on full hd instead of DVD (which looks already amazing on modern hd hardware), at least if you are not a big Jennifer Aniston fan

Ciao, Alfred

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Daniel and anyone else...

Quote:
I'm sure people said USB2 was pointless and some proberbly still do but I really notice the lack of USB2 in AmigaOS, transfering files takes much longer.

I transfer files from my flex and before that from my MicroA1 with usb2.0 by using an FTP HUB (I think you call it a pc or mac). I just stick the stick in the 'FTP HUB' and then use amiftp or pftp to log on to the hub, set the stick as the destination and copy stuff, it's a lot faster than using usb1.1 (depending on your router of course).

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top

Register To Post