Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »
Re: OS4.1 Update 1 problems & solutions
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Skov

Was thinking of removing it from the startup sequence. That way you will see if the network is the problem or not.

X5000
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Skov

It's very simple. Start off by loading the configuration editor by double clicking the "New connection" icon in the Internet directory of your system disk. When the "Wizard" appears, choose the bottom option (Local Area Network), and hit "Next".

The default setting of "Automatic configuration is fine, just hit "Next" again.

The next part shows you what networking hardware it found. Depending on what machine you have, this will be named differently, but we shall assume an AmigaOne, and in which case there will be a "3Com ethernet" entry. If you are on a Sam, you will notice there are two "units" to choose from. Unit 1 is the socket nearest to the monitor port, unit 0 is towards the outside of the machine. If there is only one socket, use unit 0. Choose the entry which matches your ethernet hardware and hit "Next".

The next page is where you enter your IP address etc. By default the "Try dynamic configuration" is selected, and this enables DHCP. To set up the network with static addresses, unselect the dynamic checkbox. Now you will need to know the address of your router or modem. Most routers default to using one of three reserved IP ranges, the most common being 192.168. For the sake of this example, we shall assume the IP address of the router is 192.168.0.1, but you may need to adjust this to suit.
In the "IP Address" box, you need to enter an address that is NOT already in use on your particular network. All machines on a network must have unique addresses so that the router can give the requested data to the machine that wants it. If you enter an address that is in use by another machine, you will receive an "IP address clash" error on this machine and the one already using the address. DHCP addresses sometimes start from address 100 onwards, so we shall pick something convenient somewhere in the middle. Enter "192.168.0.47" as the IP Address. The "Subnet Mask" is defaulted to "255.255.255.0", and for the IP addfess we are using, this is fine. The "Gateway" is the address of the router, as this is used to access the outside world, so enter "192.168.0.1" as its address. Lastly, is the "Domain Name Server". This is used to turn names into IP addresses, so that things like "amigans.net" works. As most modern routers feature a DNS (Domain Name Server) built in, you can supply the address of your router. If you are unsure, you should enter the address provided by your ISP. Once this is done, hit "Next".

The next page gives you a chance to change the name that the network interface is saved as, the default is fine.
You can store a report of the steps taken too, but you can unselect this option if you don't require it.

Click "Finish" to start the network discovery and the configuration of your network settings. You will see some output in a shell window while this completes.

Provided you entered the correct addresses, you should be connected to your local network after this finishes.

Simon

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

It is not RUN >NIL: but try with RUN <>NIL: (notice the 2 brackets. Works fine to me.

Nic

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@unimon

Regardless, it still isn't recommended to run this command as programs requiring network access running via startup may be unable to connect if the network is not yet up and ready.

Simon

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

Okay, I found out that my buffalo router uses 192.168.11.1...

So... I had this:

IP-adress: 192.168.11.47
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.11.1
DNS: 192.168.11.1

It tells me eth3com is etablished with those ip's... but still no net...

Hmm...

I run my AmigaOne through a powerline connection in the office... My router is connected to another powerline in the living room. It worked with 4.1...

MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
* I have problems with Ringhio. If I'll run rx_testringhio.rexx script from the Documentation drawer it displays "ok, app registered" and "ok, message queued" in an output window but nothing else shows up on screen. After that CPU usage stays between 90-100% and something eats up all my RAM fast some MB's per second. (Notification prefs shows the Ringhio server is running.)

EDIT: Problem found. See next post from me.

* Sorry, that one problem was a mistake from my own side ! No problems !

* AmiDock looks/feels strange. I've set the main panel to center bottom. And it's like it has fixed size/fixed positioning and it reserves empty/unused space. With previous versions it was always centered and had minimum size which was resized automaticly when adding/removing stuff to/from it. WinBar.docky works strange on it too.

* Window layouts of some apps, like Exchange, looks strange with "unused" empty areas without chance to resize the window to minimum.

(Fresh install. My config is in my sig.)

Edited by TSK on 2010/1/16 16:27:05
Edited by TSK on 2010/1/16 23:05:40
Edited by TSK on 2010/1/16 23:14:19
Edited by TSK on 2010/1/16 23:45:48
Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Sorry but the old problem with external usb drives is still present. I installed my wd passport 320gb drive which I used on my Mac Mini with MOS and OS4 wiped it. Cleaned everything off and left garbage. I had hoped this would have been fixed. Good news is smaller usb pendrives all seem to be recognised, including my 16gb one.. That is cools. Well done guys a great step forward with this release.

ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@gurus2000

Glad it's working... as I said I noticed that problem during beta testing and alot of tweaking was done to overcome it, but it still happened in rare situations...but disc-at-once seemed to fix it :)

Enjoy Update 1 :)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Here's the list of the problems on my A1 XE G4:
* requesters rendering is broken (screenshots: 1, 2);
* DDC fails with my Acer AL1916W (no big issue: I prefer setting parameters manually anyway);
* programs run as default tools do not read their tooltypes if APPDIR: is used;
* DiskImageGUI freezes the whole system to the point that a hardware reset is necessary (but diskimage.device is OK, as I can mount images without problems with MountDiskImage);
* TuneNet does not seem to take into account the Mixer volumes (I have not checked this thoroughly yet);
* RAWBInfo seems to have lost the FRAMELESS tooltype.

Quick suggestions for the future:
* icons scaling in AmiDock (as others said);
* single-click to enter directories in requesters (as it once was - I really hoped this update would bring back the old behaviour).

Edited by saimo on 2010/1/16 18:33:21
Edited by saimo on 2010/1/17 16:40:04
Edited by saimo on 2010/1/19 22:12:50
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have not seen any problems yeat running update 1 on my A1G4XE. Now i dont get any gfx problems when running a new screen like Ibrowse.

The new notify system is really cool. Tested with tunenet.

Only thing i dont like is Amidock. It still doesnt have any icon scaling so the icons looks even bigger now then before. With OS4.1 i used amistart but it had problems with transparency so i had composition off. But i have to move on and forget amistart (until it gets updated) as i want to use composition. Looks goooooood :)

So please fix icon scaling in amidock :) Some hotfix together with usb2.

EDIT:
Nothing happens when i try to lower the "window title bar height increment". Like its now its too big. I like em tiny :)

Edited by Kicko on 2010/1/16 18:38:22
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am still at a loss...

I have no idea why it won't work anymore... It worked with OS4.1, it works with my laptop...

There must be a solution. If I had a 12 meter long cable, I would try to connect the AmigaONE directly to the router, but it used to work through the netgear powerline...

A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@RacerX

Quote:

RacerX wrote:
Is there a way to re-size the icons in AmiDock? I use a 1024x768 screen and the new icons look too big next to my old ones. Plus I can only get about 12 on one line (I had 17 with the previous version) I looked all through the AmiDock prefs but I didn't see anything about changing the icon sizes.

I have my AmiDock set to the bottom right, and I noticed I can drag the left edge out (to the left) to stretch the dock and make a little more room.

Not a perfect solution but it helps.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@RacerX

Would be nice with autostretch.

@Skov

I had also problems to connect but fixed it with using static IP (routers gives me Static LAN IP). I had also to type 192.168.0.1 in default gateway (my routers address) and the most important thing the name resolution. I checked this 2 addresses on my router page (192.168.0.1) with browser.

Maybe easies way for you is just to check or copy the settings you used with your previous version os os4. Check devs/internet and devs/interfaces

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

Maybe a problem with v4.0 of Turbocalc ?

I use Turbocalc 5 and the menus work OK.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@samo79

Interesting, have Hyperion in ToDO list more improved works on AmiDock ? For example auto-resizing of icons and some nice visual effect when you move mouse by that icons)

What you be very useful is to have the Amidock window activated when you move the mouse over it and de-activated when you move the mouse off it. It shoud be possible LimpidClock does the sort of thing I am talking about.

You now have to click the windows to use Amidock menus and often end up launching an application when you do not want to.

Also when you run an application on a different screen the AmiDock window stays activated so you can too easily quit it with a RA-Q.

I do like the new way it lets you place AppDockIcons in any Dock window and not just the main one.

Bill

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Kicko

The name resolution?

A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Argh! An annoying bug, isn't it? Should we wait for an amidock fix then or updated versions for these programs with workarounds?

Cheers,

Dragster

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
So I picked the Amiga - carried it next to the router - connected it directly... Tried to make a new clean install - and IT WORKED!

Don't really know why... Now I just hope it will work when I put it back in it's place - fingers crossed!

Posting this from update 1!

A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@saimo

Quote:
* TuneNet does not seem to take into account the Mixer volumes (I have not checked this thoroughly yet);

TuneNet should work fine with the mixer (in either AHI device or Music Unit mode). Can you give me more info as I can't recreate this here?

Cheers,
Bean.

OS4.1 + an A1XE with an appetite for batteries!
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I've got an annoying problem with my DVD drive in my sam flex. After it's not used for a while it is not accessable/responding anymore. For example when I installed OS4.1 upd 1, I waited to long to press next somewhere in the installation process. The result was that the installation stalled (like waiting forever for the DVD drive to respond). Re-inserting a cd/dvd doesn't help either.

The problem isn't upd 1 specific. It already occured in 4.1 on the same machine.
I've got the same problem with OS4 classic on my A1200+powerflyer+ different CDROM drive.

Any idea's?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »