Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Ken's Icons 2009!
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
I realized today that I hadn't uploaded ANY icons in 2009! I've been painting all along -- just haven't made anything available. Here are some of the things I've done lately.

The first archive contains OS4 specific icons (that I was missing) and some additional icons for AmiKit.
Screenshot of Archive #1

The second archive contains miscl icons I painted for VMWAros a while back. Most are AROS specific, and not much use to OS3/4 users, but you never know what someone might need.
Screenshot of Archive #2

The third archive was also painted for VMAros, but is more generic. It's a collections of "computer" icons -- might be useful as disk icons or as network icons.
Screenshot of Archive #3

The archives are all available in the 'Downloads' directory at my website (files all begin with '2009').
Ken's Icons Website

----------------------

(Doing my best Steve Jobs impression)

Just one more thing ...

A few months ago, Kindergip sold me his A1 Micro (for a screaming good price), so I decided to create a new OS4 specific installer/uninstaller for my icons. The result is pretty cool, in my opinion.

Thanks to skills of Severin, the install script is semi-intelligent -- it scans the source & target directories for matches and then replaces the image data of any matches it finds. It also creates a backup of each icon it replaces as it goes along (in Sys:Storage/Icons).

It's been tested on my A1 & two other machines (another Micro & a Sam440) -- no bugs or errors so far (but let me know). It takes about a minute (or less) to install (or restore) on an A1, but something like 3-4 minutes on a Sam! There's currently no progress indicator, but the installer DOES let you know when it's done (best not to do anything else while it's working).

Ssolie wrote a utility to modify the tooltypes of icons (and gave permission to include it), so the install script also adds a copyright notice when it changes the icons (and removes it when it uninstalls them).

The script is compatible with all released versions of OS4 thru 4.1 (including Classic) -- I painted everything that was missing from previous sets.

This was supposed to be the centerpiece of the first REAL release of "Ken's Icons v4.0", but since I'm slow and easily distracted, it makes sense to release it now.

Since it's still 'beta' (sort of), it's not in the main Downloads directory, but you can download it from here (for now). Also -- don't forget to make a freakin' backup!!!

-Ken

Go to top
Re: Ken's Icons 2009!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@klesterjr

Very nice! Will these icons also work/install on OS 3.x?

If they are "OS4 32-bit icons" then the only way I have found to display them on OS 3.x is with AFA_OS. Unfortunately there is no individual tool like "PowerIcons".

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@HammerD

Quote:
@klesterjr

Very nice! Will these icons also work/install on OS 3.x?

If they are "OS4 32-bit icons" then the only way I have found to display them on OS 3.x is with AFA_OS. Unfortunately there is no individual tool like "PowerIcons".

The icons included with the installer are my first (and only) set in the native OS4 format -- the icons WILL work with OS3.x with Afa, but the installer will NOT (because ssolie's tooltype utility is OS4 only).

I did a lot of testing with OS3x (by commenting out the tooltype part) -- if you know what you're doing, that WILL work.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @klesterjr
This was supposed to be the centerpiece of the first REAL release of "Ken's Icons v4.0", but since I'm slow and easily distracted, it makes sense to release it now.
Great art work as always - thanks!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@klesterjr

Nice looking artwork!

Any thoughts about making the jump to 64x64?

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@PEB

Quote:
Any thoughts about making the jump to 64x64?

Definitely! I really like Mason's new stuff, so I plan to switch to them when they become available!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@klesterjr

Thanks for the icons! They have been installed fast -about 2 minutes- and look great on my Pegasos 2 machine under 4.1 of course.

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@CountRaven

Cool!

Might I also suggest another script I wrote that cleans up the tooltypes of the 4.1 icons a little bit ...

Fix Icons!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@klesterjr

Awesome... as always

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@klesterjr

Great looking icons.
The instalation script is a nice touch.

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@klesterjr

Very nice and inspiring artwork! I still like the lean, clean look of the icons, witch makes them easy to identify.
I am looking forward to see your big icons.

Again, great work!

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@klesterjr

Very good woork. Very professional.

I've done many artwork too. Maybe sometime we can exchange some ideas.

Ciao

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
i like them very much !!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@klesterjr

Where I can find this nice background you are using on the Windows shown on your screen shots?

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@CountRaven
Quote:
Where I can find this nice background you are using on the Windows shown on your screen shots?

I got it from the 'wallpaper' section at http://kde-look.org (can't find it at the moment).

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
Playing with "big" icons ...

My "old" 64x64 design ...

Resized Image

A 64x64 design that's more compatible with Mason's new stuff (lighting angle, prefs button, etc) ...

Resized Image

Someday, maybe we'll need 256x256 icons!

Resized Image

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@klesterjr

Excellent! I'll order a new 4x3 m display with an appropiate pixel count - that should work perfectly with that 256 px^2 icons...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@klesterjr

64 x 64 Ouch, will you still make your current style? I am trying to update my Flex with your style, I prefer them over Mason's style (no offence Mason), call me a purist but your icons are more Amiga representative. I know Mason's style is meant to herald a new era for AOS and it probably does but having the ability to choose is also very nce (maybe decadent for our little paltform).

cheers
ace

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@acefnq

I'm just playing around -- no intentions of doing a 64x64 set.

Glad to know someone besides me is still using the icons.

BTW -- did you try the installer?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@klesterjr

New icons and an installer, you're The Man.

Also a real tease; those 256x256 icons are to die for!

Regards,
- JCC

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »