Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

There's something happenin' here ...
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
No one has commented yet on the NEW icons Mason has painted for OWB & Filer, so I will!

Very cool stuff -- 64x64 which makes a LOT more sense with the size of screens nowadays and a BRAND NEW drawer design!

Kudos to Mason! Can't wait to see more of them.

Go to top
Re: There's something happenin' here ...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@klesterjr

Yeah, I like them too (a lot!) - but until many more of our icons have been given similar sized versions, they do look a bit out of place among their smaller siblings.

But hopefully that's just a matter of time.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@klesterjr

I agree, I think the new the new designs do look good.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@klesterjr

Yep, very cool icons.

I would, however, like to see a drawer icon for Filer that reflects the program itself (Filer), rather than the Open Amiga Project.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hmmm... I like the design, too....BUT I don't like the size. 64x64 ist far to big - i prefer the standard size....

Cheerio

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cha05e90

I tend to agree, the designs them selves look really cool, but the old size was better.

I have higher resloutions screesn to get more on them, not to make things bigger!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I commented these new icons in OWB thread in AW.net. I like the idea the icons are bigger. The old ones were a little bit too small.

Quote:
I have higher resloutions screesn to get more on them, not to make things bigger!

I've never understood personally that kind of opinions. I have had to wear eyeglasses since I was 16. Bigger resolutions are for getting sharper details and not for putting more stuff everywhere. But everybody has their own opinion and everybody has different eyesight capabilities and so on. Hopefully there will be icon scaling option in WB so people can adjust icon sizes for their own needs. (And if there will be icon scaling in WB I hope they make it work like I did it in YetAnotherDesk where icon sizes are relative and not fixed which means big icons will stay big and small icons will stay small so people can mix big and small ones.) I don't like I have to squeeze my eyes when I have to try to see something too small on screen. (I'm regretting I saved money in wrong place once again buying a 20" monitor instead of 22".) Having a scaling option or having different icons sizes is good idea and scaling down is always better than scaling up in quality. (AFAIK f.ex. Winblows Visva icons are 256x256 and scaled down.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@klesterjr

I recently upgraded to a newer monitor, and am now using 1680x1050. At first I thought 64x64 was too big for the icons; but now I'm starting to like it, and am looking forward to Mason releasing larger versions of the other icons that he has made in the past. (It just seems to be a better fit with the higher screen resolution.)

So can we expect you to release a 64x64 set of your own soon?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@TSK

Quote:
Having a scaling option or having different icons sizes is good idea and scaling down is always better than scaling up in quality.

Maybe a vector-based icon format is necessary, which has a "native size" set. The user can then adjust in WB prefs what percentage of the "native" icon sizes they want. ie. 100% is same sizes as now (proper size for bitmapped icon images), 200% will be twice as big etc.

I don't think creating absolutely huge bitmap icons is the answer. The current size 32-bit ones take up enough space as it is - quite often I upload things to Aminet, and the icons are bigger than the program!

Actually I'm perfectly happy with the current size of things, as I'm running 1024x768 everywhere at home, as I don't have any display equipment that supports anything higher. 64x64 is way too big for buttons in most cases in that res.

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@Chris
Quote:
Maybe a vector-based icon format is necessary, which has a "native size" set.

There's a "project" at Open Amiga that would do just this, but I haven't heard anything further since it was assigned. This would be the best solution for both file size & quality.

http://openamiga.org/?function=viewproject&projectid=31

Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@all

Thanks for the kind words!
Just a view notes:

Icon Size

Please do not "fear" the new icon size! After a view days you will not notice a difference.

Drawer Icon for Filer

"Everything that Open Amiga produces shall be done with the intent of some day including it in the main AmigaOS4 distribution made by Hyperion."

So, no need for a temporary Filer drawer! Let's call it a "Advertisement" for Open Amiga!

Vector Based Icons

A vector based icon plugin is not really a solution as it will just provide less detailed big icons or ugly small icons. Please let me explain:

If you paint a detailed big picture, most of the details will be unrecogniseable in the scalled down image and you have to do a less detailed big icon to look good in smaller sizes.

Apple and Microsoft provide the icons in different sizes but that would need a complete rework of the Workbench and the phylosophy it is based on.

Availability

With the next release of AmigaOS4...
When it's done! (TM)

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mason

As always great work

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Nice looking icons :D

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Is it time to go back to booting into a shell?

LOL

sorry couldn't resist... I spent my first 5 years or more living entirely in an Amiga Shell... I used to delete WB icon info files, I didn't see the point... heh

I didn't have LoadWB for a long time...

It was a good learning tool I tell ya

and hmmm... My SAM setup has a 22inch display so I am using 1680x1050 also... very nice

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@Slayer

Quote:
My SAM setup has a 22inch display so I am using 1680x1050 also... very nice

1680x1050, hmmm, think 96x96 icons would fit better

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mason

Just managed to get 1700 by 1250 out of my CRT, that puts the icon back to the right size

Flickers a bit though, so I'm switch back to 1280 x 1024 ,,,

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mason

Quote:

So is this a thinly veiled hint of things to come?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mason

Quote:

Mason wrote:
@Slayer

Quote:
My SAM setup has a 22inch display so I am using 1680x1050 also... very nice

I find myself unable to disagree with this insightful suggestion

@PEB

Quote:

PEB wrote:
@Mason
So is this a thinly veiled hint of things to come?

Of course not, the man is simply enjoying all the aspects of his published works and resolution does play a part

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mason

I liked the new icons. Looks good. BUt i'm not running that big res atm. 1024x768 if i remember right, HAve to get me a 22" soon or 24" widescreen. But a bit sceptical looking at os4 through a widescreen.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

Quote:
I liked the new icons. Looks good. BUt i'm not running that big res atm. 1024x768 if i remember right, HAve to get me a 22" soon or 24" widescreen. But a bit sceptical looking at os4 through a widescreen.

I look through my eyes not a widescreen.

Seriuosly, I recently got my self a 24" LG Flatron W2452T screen, and it's brilliant.
I can have multiple documents side by side, in Turbocalc, Pagestream, Finalwriter, Wordworth............... I could go on and on.

If you can afford it, get one.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top

Register To Post