Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Amy Motherboard Sneak Peak
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Troika

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
There are people that would sell their AmigaOne to buy this.

ΙΜΗΟ Atheist made a very good point here!

The amigans that are using OS4.x have already a Sam, a A1 or a PegII. If you want to *force* them buy something new then you have to built something better. Especially the CPU speed is crucial.

SAM is a different story since it was the first hardware ever released after long years of waiting and followed the first batch of the A1. So, people, like me, bought it although they knew it is expensive and somewhat underpowered.

Yes, I know, your system is supposed to be half price of the SAM, but still, I allready have a SAM, why should I buy again something new which wont give much better results when using OS 4.1 ?

Anyway, in the other thread you started at aw.net the poll gives you a result of 105 YES, 67 NO and 72 Pancakes by now. But if I was in your position I wouldn't rely on an internet poll to manufacture new hardware.

Listen to the market: Built something better (faster) and sell it a the double price of what you are asking right now (227+227=454 or even more, let's say 500).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Troika Quote:
Plans sometimes go bad. No excuses, it happened.

1. Plan goes wrong once - that's bad luck.
2. Plan goes wrong twice - that's incompetence.

So, exactly what happened to both your (1) Amy'05 board, and (2) your Panda board? We are NOT looking for excuses, we are looking for explanations that would allow us to take you seriously again.

Quote:
Sides trolls will be around no matter what right?

After all your failed promises & misleading posts, calling anyone (and everyone) who doesn't believe your every word a troll is ridiculous & frankly insulting the intelligence of everyone here.

Please start answering your critics - or else be quiet until you can demo OS4.1 on a prototype of your motherboard (and not a reference motherboard).

P.S. For more information at what I hinted at, please read my AmigaWorld posts here and here.

P.P.S. If your THIRD plan (Athena) goes wrong, then that is probably malice (or else unbelievably extreme incompetence).

Edited by ChrisH on 2009/2/7 12:42:41
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
im with the Minimum reasonable system...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Troika Quote:
Plans sometimes go bad. No excuses, it happened.

1. Plan goes wrong once - that's bad luck.
2. Plan goes wrong twice - that's incompetence.

So, exactly what happened to both your (1) Amy'05 board, and (2) your Panda board? We are NOT looking for excuses, we are looking for explanations that would allow us to take you seriously again.

I get the feeling the model they are using now is not to disimiliar to what Eyetech did and ACube are doing.

Sell a low entry system to make sufficient profit to allow the Panda UDTech board to become a viable solution.

To be fair its now going to be cheaper to do it this way now then to complete AMY05 board from the ground up.

Trouble is we have a low end model with the SAM440 and I don't think there is enough market space amongst our community for another lowend linux box which may or maynot endup running OS4.1

However, it could be winner if the price performance ratio is better than the SAM440, more so in the current economic climate.

With no comment either way from troika or hyperion about OS4.1 availability on this, who is going to buy it though ?
You could easly just gamble on buying a PS3 and have that as a linux developer box.

@Troika

As Pauls says over on Amigaworld, show us a HighSpec machine running OS4.1 and we'll put on another BigBash.... best of luck, but come back when you have proof of a product which runs OS4.1.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:

And I will be the first to apologise if that inference turns out to be incorrect.

My take on it is there at least 2 if not more people involved.

Ian Steadman, who designed the AMY05 and showed it off at big bash 4

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/

Also see center spread Total Amiga Issue 25

From the "english" fabrics and decor in the photos and links to english websites one can only assume a english guy is involved still.

Unknown gentleman who hangs out on IRC based in US.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @Rudei

3. Confirm you have a licence to run OS4 on this machine
It's 'license', and that makes 'sense'!
Yes, I'm a policeman, may I see your driver's license Troika?
<hand on weapon>

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
if i get a faster freescale reference board and put it in a better case, can i compete for the vapor awards ?

oh, i'll include the diagrams and schematics too, it must be available in a pdf somewhere.

oh and mine will run AmigaOS5.

Sam440EP - AmigaOS 4.1 up6
Powerbook G4 - MorphOS 3.2
Macmini G4 - MorphOS 3.2
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@SoundSquare

Of course, please go ahead.

AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Snuffy

It's only "license" in America, and fortunately Americans are a very small fraction of the English-speaking world.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@thread

The actual developer has posted

in #242

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Troika

Looking at the ref board and schematic - where's the audio outputs? One PCI for video. No expandability. And a low end CPU unit from "ACube" is already available. And the FLEX is coming. You are offering a better price but less expandability. Its a trade off.

I want at least 1 GHz in CPU power.

ATM, awaiting arrival and review of the SAM's FLEX with OS4. No more horse power than SAM440ep but expandable . . .

My 2 cents . . . or 2 dollars . . . or whatever.

Don't they make a 603 based 1 GHz SOC? ? ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
My apologies for the crosspost, Comment #248:
Quote:
Hans wrote on AmigaWorld.Net:

Thanks for the explanations. I had a quick look at the specs of the e500 and QorIQ. Whilst I like the multi-core nature of the QorIQ (8 cores @ 1.5 HZ with max 30W power consumption sounds good), I find information about altivec/VMX/vector unit a bit thin. Does the e500 have an altivec compatible unit? Or is its vector unit different?

EIGHT CORES!!!!!!!!!

Originally I posted that I wouldn't want anything below 1.7 GHz, thinking that, heck, they've had 1.7 GHz G4s for YEARS, however, EIGHT cores!!!!! That WAY makes up for not having the extra 200 MHz!!!!! Although having Altivec is VERY beneficial, again, 7 extra cores would MORE than make up for there not being one, if indeed there isn't any Altivec in the CPU.

We still need either 8 * AGP (cards are nearing not being available!!) or PCIe. Also, 4 PCI slots and 4 USB 2.0 sockets. If the motherboard has no HD controller, make it 6 PCI slots. Include, believe it or not, a floppy controller. Or, 2 PCIe and 3 PCI (or one extra PCI 66 MHz slot, and no HD controller on the MB), then wouldn't need the AGP slot. 2 Ethernet ports. This would be a relatively versatile computer.

Bottom line, make it very versatile!!!!

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
tonyw wrote:

@Atheist

The specs and prices may sound desirable, but some people would like to be convinced that there really is a company behind these offers/claims, not just one engineer working from his bedroom with no capital.

Hi tonyw,

Perfectly rational sentiment.... I'm rooting for them, that it isn't the case.

Quote:
And I will be the first to apologise if that inference turns out to be incorrect.

Well, no offense, but I hope you'll have to apologise.

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
My apologies for the crosspost, Comment #248:
Quote:
Hans wrote on AmigaWorld.Net:

Thanks for the explanations. I had a quick look at the specs of the e500 and QorIQ. Whilst I like the multi-core nature of the QorIQ (8 cores @ 1.5 HZ with max 30W power consumption sounds good), I find information about altivec/VMX/vector unit a bit thin. Does the e500 have an altivec compatible unit? Or is its vector unit different?

EIGHT CORES!!!!!!!!!

Specifically, it's this processor. However, it won't even be available as samples till mid-2009, so it's not even available yet. In fact, it looks like the whole QorIQ series is not actually available yet. However, eight cores does look promising, so I hope that Freescale get a move on.

Hans

EDIT: Lack of hardware availability doesn't have to stop you from working on the software side (link).

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Hans, and all other Amigans,

Since there could be lack of work for CPUs, or conflict with fetching data from ram (all cores can't simultaneously access ram, I would think), if we could get at least the equivalent of 800 MHz per core of work done (just above 50%), that'd be like using a 6.4 GHz CPU!!!! That CERTAINLY would be cool! Again, we'd need PCIe graphics card and an Altivec would be nice, as one whole core may not be able to compensate for not having it!

This COULD be all the power we'd need for 4 years into the future!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
The processor is well-suited for applications that are highly compute-intensive, I/O intensive, or both, making it ideal for applications such as enterprise and service provider routers, switches, base-station controllers radio network controllers (RNCs), longterm evolution (LTE) and general-purpose embedded computing systems in the networking, telecom/datacom, wireless infrastructure, military and aerospace markets.

Why and WHAT does this remind me of?????

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
What always never fails to amaze me is they never seem to do what alot of people would actually pay for.

Why can't they have a few motherboard configurations with custom built options.

ie everything is upgradable/interchangable and with socket plug in replace sort of thing and the bare veins of the system and chips etc not affected by change of configurations could be surface mounted.

Surely this is truely achievable?

why don't we make a bounty sort of thing where we actually hand the money over (x amount of dollars for a certain type of configuration) and so it is held till the machine is made. The money is released when they have made the required x amount of boards and ready to send.

This way, there is no doubt people will buy them since the money is held in trust for definate purchase...

hmmm, maybe this is a good idea for one of those multi billion dollar websites for sale 5 years down the road

understand?

could be a time scale thing... we go right, who wants this type of configuration... there could be a list of 3 main ones with variables not really that important... so 3 expanded to 6 perhaps

The Amiga community has say 2 months to put there money in... a cut off time etc...

once that is up the production team begin to build x amount of 6 different types and no more...

bingo... 100% sales with 100% no risk...

Of course there will be indicators of amount verses numbers... say we can confirm 20 of x configuration... we all pay the trust of the money as if there would only be 20 sold... if it is discovered actually 30 were brought the amount would come down and everyone of those 30 would get a small amount returned... just thought the scale could be listed as well... 1-50 $1200 51-100 $1100 etc... just used 50 increments since that'll be more of a reasonable impact on potential prices... maybe 100 but hey, it's an example...

plan for the worst case scenario and perhaps a return cost later... another safe guard for the manufacturers

adios!

Edited by Slayer on 2009/2/10 13:33:02
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Troika

I really would like to now, what Hyperion and Acube are thinking about that.

At least they worked very closely together within the last months. I cannot imagine, that Hyperion will license the Amy Board, because it is a direct concurent to the SAM boards.

Let's do what Amigans can do best. Let's wait and see and make up great conspiracy theories.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Slayer Quote:
ie everything is upgradable/interchangable and with socket plug in replace sort of thing and the bare veins of the system and chips etc not affected by change of configurations could be surface mounted.

Surely this is truely achievable?

Yes & no: The AmigaOne had it's CPU put on a separate plug-in card, because people were demanding upgradability, BUT this vastly increased the complexity & cost of AmigaOnes. And such motherboards are still limited to whatever max speed they was designed to handle.

Are you prepared for the motherboard to take several times as long to develop, and cost twice as much? It'll also take up much more space, and be less reliable to boot.

I'm afraid that as far as expandability goes, PCI (and now PCI-Express) is as good as it gets.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

> And I will be the first to apologise if that inference
> turns out to be incorrect.

Well, no offense, but I hope you'll have to apologise.

Me too, believe me!

cheers
tony
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »