Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Sam flex
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
BTW, regarding DVD playback problems with DvPlayer on Sam440, it is only for non-Region-0 discs, and is simply due to a DvPlayer bug which should get fixed at some point (see the earlier link).

Actually it's a bug in the 3rd party libdvdcss-based plugin for DvPlayer, not within DvPlayer itself. The official DVD plugin that comes with DvPlayer works, but it cannot handle encrypted DVDs. I'm sure a fix for the 3rd party plugin will come soon, as I heard the same bug was already fixed in mplayer, which uses the same libdvdcss code.

Regarding playback speed of DVDs. The 667MHz Sam440 is definitely capable of it even in pure software. We're not quite there yet, but it's damn close, and sooner or later we should get things optimized. The current OS4 SDK cannot generate code optimized for the 440EP yet, so essentially when you're playing a video on the Sam with DvPlayer, you have the Sam440 running code (for both DvPlayer and avcodec.library), which is optimized to achieve the best possible speed on a G3/G4 CPU that has a very different architecture. So you're currently not seeing the true power of that CPU.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@COBRA

What about hardware accelerated movies? Does the m9 chip have such a feature and if so will that be used at a time?

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

The M9 has hardware acceleration for MPEG1/2 but I don't think it'll be needed to get DVDs to play at full speed.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@COBRA

Quote:

COBRA wrote:
@Antique

The M9 has hardware acceleration for MPEG1/2 but I don't think it'll be needed to get DVDs to play at full speed.

Has anyone even found the documentation for programming the decoding hardware on the M9?

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH
Thanks. It is good that DVD use is fine barring the bug which Cobra elaborated on. I was just a bit sown last night, a nice juicy SAM would probably cheer me up! -:)

ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
acefnq wrote:
@fuskoSCN
Thanks cobber, I am not for one minute bagging SAM, that is not my style, I am sure it is great BUT having lived through all the crap since I bought my A1 it gets very tiring. For instance, of real worry to me is the ability (or non) of SAM to play DVDs properly, I still don't have a complete understanding of this but if it can't then it will always be a toy and should be of real concern to all Amigans in this day and age. I take what others have replied on board and will reflect over the next few days. The lack of news or feedback and inconsistent web pages are still things of great concern.

ace

Hi acefnq,

We are in an underdog condition. Trying to convince new people, one's who have never experienced what it was once like is near impossible, and that is ONLY due to the near never ending lack of current spec HW.

Please help continue the dream by being a small part, NO a BIG part, by plugging along and just being there, in how ever small role you can play in bringing back a dream. Think about it, how many things in the world can ONE person change?

Reigniting a dead HW platform is a HUGE achievement.

It'll be very impressive when we break through to success, think how you'll feel when you can say "I was there, I saw it happen before my eyes, I even helped carry them....."

That's just something you can't buy.

We will show we are a productive movement.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

You are probably one of the nuts I would miss if I left! Let's just say I had a bad day. I have just come home from a soccer match Adelaide United vs Sydney and we won 2-0. The crowd was 23000 which is amazing for Australian football let alone Adelaide which is generally an AFL Australian Rules Football) town. It has helped lift my spirits.w
Our lads also recently made the quarter finals of the World Club Championship but went down to Osaka again ( those guys have given us a football lesson 3 times!) who went on to meet and lose to Man Utd 5-3. We came 5th overall which is actually nuts but it has lifted the profile of soccer big time here.

Cobra and others have given me some more hope, from my perspective I will actually be going backwards getting a SAM, I really loved my XE and it is hard to let go, however, I really doubt if I could go a day without checking an Amiga related site. Thanks for the your support I do appreciate it.

ace

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
the plugin is on os4depot.. you can try it with your hands :D

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

Great.
Any news also on MPlayer side ?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79

no.. not yet..

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@salass00
Quote:
I hope not. I ordered a sam440ep on 26th November and I'm still waiting for it.

If you ordered from AmigaKit I noticed they just posted a note about getting the last of the backorders filled here
http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... hp?topic_id=2279&start=60

This is all assuming ACube delivers of course.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie

I ordered it from Gentle Eye here in Finland, same as my ?A1-C.

They will send me the bill when they have received and send the board. I haven't heard anything more from them yet.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@all
I have just recently taken delivery of a Sam440ep. I have purchased a case, a cd/dvd drive and a hard drive. Now all I have to do is figure out how to make the i/o shield fit, hook up a keyboard, mouse and video and load 4.1. Can hardly wait. I, too have sent an A1 CPU module, plus a Blizzard PPC module to Acube Systems -in October. Needless to say, I have heard nothing from them. It's been a long dry spell without a reliably working Amiga.

Thank God for Suse Linux.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tlm Quote:
all I have to do is figure out how to make the i/o shield fit

Does this mean that your Sam440 came with an offical I/O backplate?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

@tlm Quote:

all I have to do is figure out how to make the i/o shield fit

Does this mean that your Sam440 came with an offical I/O backplate?

I sure hope so, because the case I ordered certainly didn't .

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

I wish it were so. I plan to modify the plate that came with my off-the-shelf case

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Anyone

DVD player works good on my sam440ep(667) but, I couldnt play all dvd's until recently with the latest dvdvcd.plugin patch.

Also, os4.1, on mine, was missing two other important things.

Check it out

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... p?topic_id=27807&forum=32

And to get the latest dvdvcd.plugin, ofcourse, naturally, go to os4depot.

If you got any problems with your dvplayer, just check some forum posts over at amigaworld.net, like my one I just gave you the link too.

Cheers.

OH, and, when I had ordered mine from Acube, I noticed it felt like everyone around me was getting their system before me, but dont worry, Acube does deliver, and when they do, it rns beautifully.

Unfortunately, in my case, I had to get a new PSU unit, and the only thing making noise on my nice quiet system, is the PSU.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Just received an e-mail from Gentle Eye saying that my Sam440ep will be sent from Italy today .

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)