Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Wireless for AmigaOnes
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Anyone gone wireless with OS4 on AmigaOne ?
If so, which PCI card did you use, and if you're in the UK, who sold it to you (if new !)

just doin m'research - trying to decide if wireless is worth the aggro...

Avatar: Avro Vulcan - XH558 needs YOU !!
Go to top
Re: Wireless for AmigaOnes
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@agafaster

Generaly speaking it's better to stay wired than not. So if you can you should! You'll never get problems if you're wired (unless you cut the cable ) and it'll be full speed. Cheaper and better...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@agafaster

Quote:

See the guide included in the archive for details of compatible cards.

this comes from the readme of the prism device from OS4Depot

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@hotrod

Quote:

You'll never get problems if you're wired (unless you cut the cable ) and it'll be full speed. Cheaper and better...

I recommend wired too. Less complicated and faster. And more fool/fail-proof.

As to cheaper: total cost of wired is probably higher if one wires several computers and hides the cables (I hid the wired of phone/adsl cable about 10m into work-room, and wired the ethernet from there into the living room, 20m more, about 8m of them share the plastic casing)
resulted in 50EU for cases + another 50 couple of years ago for the router).
If it is a single desktop machine: then it's casing against vs. wifi cost.

But the resulting connectivity is superb (A1 + linux laptop + linux box in living room + networked printer).
And I don't have to care about the researches on the possible health damage of wifi.

Jack

Edited by Jack on 2008/1/10 17:34:00
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have also alot of cables. From my computer room to my router in my tvroom. Probably 20-25m. Then a cable from router to the xbox (same room). Then i have also telephone cable from modem that is next to the router to my computerroom :) alot of cables. Homecinema = alot of cables. To not speak of my monitor speakers, mixer, 3 synthesizers, usbmidi. Thats powercables, audiocables, midicables etc. But i hide the most cables good. You cant see the cables for internet, cinema etc. But under my computerdesk theres a jungle. Even that i have fixed but still there are 2 long powerconnectors with place for 15 powercables. Use 10 of them.

I rather use cables the wireless stuff. I dont think all the magnetic fields and stuff like that are good for us people to be in everyday. Almost all cables are shieldprotected. Only wireless is my keyboard+mouse and
remotecontroller. Thats enough.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
chaps,

looks like I'll go wirey then !
All I need to do FIRST is connect the A1 to the cable modem (probably) in the living room. The Kid's PC in the dining room is an afterthought - they only use it to play Scooby do on really ! I could always add wireless later, and leave the A1 on the wired bit.

@Pvanni,
yes I did see that, but I guess that loads of those will now be out of production (particularly the Netgear MA311). not to mention that I currently do net shopping at work, and can't look into lha archives doesnt help ! besides it never hurts to ask other people thier mileage....!

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@agafaster

Check out this post of mine from some time back:
http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... 001&forum=4&post_id=12072

They still have some in stock and IIRC delivery was quick too. Been using mine here since I made that post and it has been rock solid.

The layout of my house and position of my AmigaOne made using a wired connection a health & safety nightmare

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Ta for that, I've ordered one !
Should save a lot of ar5e with cabling and stairs, etc.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

I'll be ordering one of these too, as the length of cabling I require to wire up my AmigaOne beggars belief! Everything else in the flat is wireless now too.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@agafaster
did you get one? have you got it running yet?
what configs, drivers are you using? I have one but it seems to clash with the 3com lan.
although Ranger sees it and reports it working but not set up.

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Swisso

I had to disable the interface for the Ethernet on mine, it seems Roadshow really doesn't like more than one interface set up (at least when one isn't connected to anything!).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swisso

Quote:

Swisso wrote:
@agafaster
did you get one? have you got it running yet?
what configs, drivers are you using? I have one but it seems to clash with the 3com lan.
although Ranger sees it and reports it working but not set up.

Yeah, I got one (a 3com 802.11b PCI card), and it runs (but isnt in use at the mo).
I'm using Neil Cafferkey's Prism2 drivers, and Curtis Holborn's WifiSignal - works well, but I havent worked out how to get it to do WEP properly yet !
could be that I've got the passcode wrong, or the parameters wrong on SetPrism2defaults.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@agafaster

Just as a side note here, it might be worth to note that WEP encyption does take time to process on both the in and out packets.

On my wireless setup here, I have the router set to filter out any MAC addresses that aren't on the list. This makes the system faster, as it only requires a check when the connection is first initiated.

Anyone not on my list isn't getting in :)

Simon

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:

Rigo wrote:
@agafaster

Just as a side note here, it might be worth to note that WEP encyption does take time to process on both the in and out packets.

On my wireless setup here, I have the router set to filter out any MAC addresses that aren't on the list. This makes the system faster, as it only requires a check when the connection is first initiated.

Anyone not on my list isn't getting in :)

Simon

All well and good, but they'll be able to read yer packets... even if you use WEP encoding, someone like the guy we had down at work to install an Internet remote access secure device reckoned he could crack a WEP network in 5 minutes !

WPA is the way to go, so since my 3com card will only do WEP, I've kinda not bothered with it for a while !

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@agafaster

I don't think anyone need bother about danger from WiFi radiation - the power involved is negligible and the field strengths are only just above ambient noise levels.

Mobile phones (where you have the antenna of a relatively powerful transmitter right up against your head) are far more of a worry.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
My AmigaOne is in my bedroom upstairs and is connected
true a cheap settup true the electricity lines and the router
below in the garage.

Like this one: netgear

A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Dirk-B

This sounds like a solution I could use!

Is this easy to set up? And it works just like a wired connection on the A1?

MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top

Register To Post