I started working on the kernel simply because I was fed up with the instability and the fact that no one was working on it anymore. It began as a hobby and gradually grew into a larger project. No one is forcing anyone to install or replace it. Coincidentally, as soon as the news got out, the people working on the kernel started releasing half-baked patches. Hyperion has nothing to do with this, and I can't talk to them since they don't own the kernel and can't change it. Given the current situation between Trevor and Hyperion, a kernel capable of running on new machines might be the only solution. Furthermore—and this is something many of you fail to grasp (though it's common knowledge in the Amiga community)—*anyone* can contribute to the kernel; anyone can report bugs and propose solutions or new implementations. Naturally, I don't expect any of that to happen—especially not from the "big" OS4 developers (as we saw with clib4)—but honestly, I don't care. I’ve spent nearly 25 years of my life (and a lot of money) on OS4, only to see where it ended up. That’s why I reached a point where I had to either quit completely or do something to try and change the situation (at least for myself). I repeat: no one is forcing you to do anything. Ultimately, this is *my* project. Not Hyperion's, not Trevor's.
not waiting for wonders to happen what will never be the case
@thread
AI has skyrocket development of AROS what at least AmigaOS now benefits of too. There are now several projects using AROS codes for AmigaOS 3.X and 4.X ports. I appreciate that, it is hopefully a start of more crossplatform cooperation where all camps would benefit of. I hope Hyperion and Trevor D. will not try to hinder progress or progress will leave them behind.
Hi Andrea, show no mercy to those who think AmigaOS is just a cash cow to be milked. We all deserve much more, and AmigaOS needs to become open source to avoid fading into oblivion.
AI has skyrocket development of AROS what at least AmigaOS now benefits of too
AI has skyrocket development of any Amiga like OS, be it AROS, OS4, MOS or any 68k variants. Or any other OS at all, or any other projects which developers not scare to have a helper. That everywhere.
Quote:
There are now several projects using AROS codes for AmigaOS 3.X and 4.X ports.
:) It's not like AROS is now one who use AI and everyone else can't, and reuse what AROS do :)
Andrea use SMP ideas from AROS for his own kernel, but all my projects and ports go independently absolutely, without anything from AROS. I even didn't see why Andrea use AROS for his kernel in first place, because AI can make the defaults better today, of course. But probably he just start it as fun project, just for fast start, to avoid starting from scratch, and then continue to improve.
It's not like now, anyone need MOS help, or AROS help, or OS4 help, or any other help from any other os at all: if you developer, and don't fear use AI together with your skills, you can program, plan, and remake everything anyone want and everything can be done from scratch. Like that for example:
Quote:
it is hopefully a start of more crossplatform cooperation where all camps would benefit of.
I am sure not, sadly. Nothing changes for us. Just speed of development increases, we no need each others to have fun with even more than before. We all the same stubborn ppls around.
And maybe my definition of fun is not the same as yours. I still don´t understand why everyone has to do his own thing instead of at least trying to work together.
Working as developer for AEON / Hyperion means signing a NDA, that prohibits you working on other things or sharing company secrets, some developers don’t won’t sign documents, like that.. some developers have not gotten pay, this why the kernel ExecSG was sold in the first place, (sense labor was not covered). I’m not sure what type of contract ExecSG team have compared to Hyperion, but it’s my understanding of this commercial product.
They talked about multi core sense 2005 (21 years ago.), there was a dual core CPU module for AmigaONE-XE, only last 7 years Steven Soles (the team lead) has worked on SMP for ExecSG, we only seen what can be described as prototype, nothing released. We know about alternative is working with SMP on x68, x64 for years.
It has been disappointing to see how long it has taken, year after years seeing nervous laughter at AmiWest.. some years being told nothing was worked on..
So I don’t blame Andrea for stepping up.
another thing is that we seen is that “components” being ready, being in beta testing for months like the new shell, doing your own thing outside, means you don’t need approval to release software.
(NutsAboutAmiga)
Basilisk II for AmigaOS4 AmigaInputAnywhere Excalibur and other tools and apps.
Yes, I agree, I think there is a lot of interesting development lately, its shame to ignore it. ARM JIT compilers and AROS kernel development..
On that points.. there is few things missing. * Kernel support for CPU virtualization. * UNIX stack, to strengthen application from stack corruption and spy-where (automatic stack enlargement also becomes possible.) * Multi User support.
Porting over Linux TCP/IP stack, for IPv6 support, Tunneling support, DNS trees. And everything else missing.
Multi monitor support.
(NutsAboutAmiga)
Basilisk II for AmigaOS4 AmigaInputAnywhere Excalibur and other tools and apps.
I have not been in the OS4.x game since 2015, when I sold my SAM460 to put food on the table. Of late, I've been doing better financially speaking, saving up for an Amiga-related purchase. For the past few years I've been lured away from getting an OS4 machine due to expense and what I perceived to be a lack of development. Then, within a year came the development of Mirari, MESA, and an SMP kernal. Its like y'all want me back
Sold the SAM460ex lite in 2015... waiting for money to buy a Mirari
I, too, am re-enthused. After years of apparent stagnation from both Hyperion and A-EON in software updates and deliveries for AOS4, suddenly a flurry of activity from ACube and community developers.
Within the past few months a new 3D stack - and tons of games updates to take advantage of it from HunoPPC and others; drivers in the works for NVMe, Bluetooth HW, and a totally new set of graphics drivers for RadeonHD and RadeonRX cards; a new IP stack being developed; a new, performant, multi-core kernel that will be *open* when released; a new board joining Mirari as potential platforms for AOS4....
Simply incredible what motivated people can accomplish when they ignore naysayers and politics. I am beyond delighted. It's like 2010 again. What a shame so many have left in the interim.
-- eliyahu
"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."