Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Make AmiUpdate part of OS4?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi!

I think AmiUpdate should be part of OS4 installation, an update tool integrated into the system let developers make sure users are notified about their software updates, and users use lastest version and if it is included by default into the system, a lot of developers will use it. It will create an easier way to keep our system up to date, an easir OS for users, and better feebback for developers (they know users use last version and not a bugged old one).

Can we make a poll about it?

Go to top
Re: Make AmiUpdate part of OS4?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ikir

Sound Idea, I am not a developer but as an end user I would still wish for an auto-update feature in OS4.
In fact I would like to see incorporated to include all programs keeping the option to choose to install of course.

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ikir

I agree with you 100%

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ikir

Completely second that, great proggy

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
AmiUpdate should be expanded to an external Library so that 3th party program can check for updates.

For example if Yam chould call the lib then check for updates. That whould be better than it whould expire after a month, at the same time you whould be free from downloading and unpacking youre self.

RWO

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swisso

Quote:
Sound Idea, I am not a developer but as an end user I would still wish for an auto-update feature in OS4.
It would be relativley easy for Simon to implement this as this is precisley what the program was designed and used for by the betatesters. AmiUpdate has to know where to find the updates, and if it is confined to one central repository such as the beta OS components the location can be hard coded in.

Quote:
In fact I would like to see incorporated to include all programs keeping the option to choose to install of course.
Again AmiUpdate has to know where to find the updates, and where the user has them installed. At the moment Simon keeps a database of the current versions and their locations on the AmiUpdate site, but he has to maintain that himself, it is not automatic.
Developers also ned to add code for AmiUpdate to their programs for AmiUpdate to check versions etc correctly.
If a program has an assign in user-startup, then AmiUpdate can use that to find it, if it is just installed in a progdir on the Amigas harddrive AmiUpdate has no way of finding it. Unless you scan the hard drive every time an update of a prorgam that may or maynot be installed on the users system has had an update. Not the Amiga way of doing things.

I am not a programmer, and I might not have explained everything correctly, but I think Simon has done a very good job on this, and eloquently solved several problems by hosting an update database himself.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rwo

Nice idea.

@all
I'm happy to see you all agree

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ikir

I agree too

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ikir

me agrees too!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

Thats why I think there should be an API where the 3th party program can call AmiUpdate and say MY progam xxx is located at path yyy.. then AmiUpdate should have a DataBase with all the paths for all programs that support AmiUpdate, then it can fast and easy do version checks.

If this API gets done, it should then be incorperated into the OS IMO, maybe with a Remove program function to.

I'm not bad mouthing Rigo, for I think he has done a great job... but its really only usefull for OS components that have a fixed place on sys:, so see this an Enhancement sugestion for Version 2 :)

RWO

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@rwo

Quote:
I'm not bad mouthing Rigo, for I think he has done a great job... but its really only usefull for OS components that have a fixed place on sys:, so see this an Enhancement sugestion for Version 2 :)

RWO

It is also useful for all those programs that have an Assign:, The only time it will not work is if a program is installed and run from it's own directory without an assign.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @ikir

I think AmiUpdate should be part of OS4 installation,

Yes! I've been offline for a couple months for system repairs and word "update" is running around like wildman in my head- ugh. I'd be curious to know AmiUpdate would handle a situation like mine. I'm not sure of the range of files it handles.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@thread

If i may i take the opportunity to ask you users of AmiUpdate
a favour - could you try the following:

Use a custom theme (i for one use Aqua by ToAks)

1. Open up AmiUpdate thru icon (double-click) or Docky
2. Close AmiUpdate (completely shut it down)
3. Open any other program (Reaction or MUI doesn't matter)
and close them again
Do this a couple ot times...and see if your color 0 has been
changed. (You can alos open Palette prefs, but for me nothing
changes if i do so, only with opening another program first)

This behaviour is a nuisance (and the reason why i don't use
AmiUpdate at the moment) and happens to me every time i
open and close it.

Mostly it messes up AWeb, so if you have a chance to install
it, do so and test, it messes up the complete background
color of AWeb, but also YAM (MUI) is affected and every
other program

Simon is aware of that but wasn't able to track down the
problem yet (as hes using a plain OS4 install - no custom
themes - and me not being able to give enough feedback)

If you come across the same bahaviour, please note it and
help me out here

Thanks

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Raziel

i have probs with amiupdate screwing up the palette too.
edit: i use the default theme.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@spotUP + Raziel

As much information as possible would be really helpfull here, as I am unable to reproduce the problem here

Simon

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo

Thanks for joining Resized Image

Lets start with the hardware and system information:

AOneXE 750GX 800MHz (USB & DMA fixed)
1 GB (2x 512 MB) Kingston RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9800 SE
Sigmatel AC97 (re-fitted on-board)

Startup-Sequence:

Nothing fancy except i use "SetPatch ADDCHIPRAM=2 QUIET"

User Startup:

I have SDK installed and let Allkeys run from here
plus the bunch of assigns and path addings

WBStartup:

AISS
AmiDock (Push4Dock)
ASyncWB
ContextMenus
CPUTemp.Docky
DefIcons
DNetC
LimpidClock
Mixer
OS4Reboot
RAWBInfo
ScreenBlankerEngine (Black Screen by default)

Misc:

Aqua theme installed

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@rwo

Quote:

Thats why I think there should be an API where the 3th party program can call AmiUpdate and say MY progam xxx is located at path yyy.. then AmiUpdate should have a DataBase with all the paths for all programs that support AmiUpdate, then it can fast and easy do version checks.

If this API gets done, it should then be incorperated into the OS IMO, maybe with a Remove program function to.

I'm sure you must have been using AmiUpdate for long enough now to realise that there is a mechanism for supporting 3rd party applications. This doesn't rely on a fixed path, but on a per-application facility incorporated into applications by the developer. Removing programs is not down to AmiUpdate really, but more to an uninstaller supplied by the application developer, although you can use Rollback to go back a version after updating.

More information can be found at www.amiupdate.net in the developers section.

You may also want to check the database contents section too, this will show you that there are a few non-fixed path applications already supported, with hopefully more to follow

Simon

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Those of you that are developing application listed in the AmiUpdate database are now invited to register for an account on amiupdate.net. This will allow you to manage the updating process within the database yourselves.

Check the 'accounts' section for further details.

Simon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:

Rigo wrote:
Those of you that are developing application listed in the AmiUpdate database are now invited to register for an account on amiupdate.net. This will allow you to manage the updating process within the database yourselves.

wow - thanks!!!

byebye...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Those having problems with palettes, there are two known sources of palette problems iirc. Once is MUI, it royally screws the palettes up under OS4, but iirc this only effects MUI programs.

The other is the icon settings on WB. If its set to the max setting (Best?) it can steal pens and causes other problems, so the ideal setting is the one below (Good?) ... this problem was evident when using Wet, for example.

Thats all from memory, but its something along those lines and might point people in the right direction :)

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »