Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 »
Switch between many amigaos4 machines
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@All

As i have for now 4 amigang (pegasos2, sam460, x1000 and x5000), i want to use just one single keyboard, one single monitor , one single mouse, one single speakers for. But i also want to have 1 single power cable, one single "in" network cable, etc.

I know that KVM switchers should deal with, but while searching found that they most of time without HDMI, but with VGA, and many of them are too smart ones (have pults, depend on OS, etc).

In other words, i want to make it works like this: all the 4 amigas connected, and when i need, i power on any of them, and hit manually on the switch a button, point out on which one i want to use and that all, without needs always re-plug cables.

For the power i assume it is better just have 4 power cables, and connect them always. For the network just a simple hub for 4 ports.

But for HDMI video, usb mouse/keyboard and speakers, want this KVM box, which can produce me 1920x1080x60 with no probs , have no lags (at least ok to have lags when power on, just to not have them when use) and this one should have a buttons by which i can choose which computer to use.

Have anyone any expirience with ? I just read all over the places ppls tinker with KVM switchers and amigas, but so far didn't found anyone who use 3 or 4 amigas with them.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Re: Switch between many amigaos4 machines
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
For the power i assume it is better just have 4 power cables, and connect them always. For the network just a simple hub for 4 ports.

Yes. I personally use a UPS for power, and have the power cables plugged into that (with an adaptor for the C-14 sockets that UPSes use).

Quote:
But for HDMI video, usb mouse/keyboard and speakers, want this KVM box, which can produce me 1920x1080x60 with no probs , have no lags (at least ok to have lags when power on, just to not have them when use) and this one should have a buttons by which i can choose which computer to use.

KVMs are a bit more hit-and-miss. I currently have an AIMOS HDMI 2.0 KVM that can handle 4K. It's working okay, but has two annoying problems:
- It only passes the EDID channel for DDC to the computer currently on display, which means that I need to switch to every computer before turning it on, or it won't get the monitor's screen modes (even UBoot won't initialize the monitor)
- The USB does seem to drop out and malfunction occasionally, in which case I need to switch it off and back on again

On the plus side, it can indeed handle 4K screen modes reliably and it's powered over USB from the machines themselves, so no power cable needed.

IIRC, my previous KVM was from Aten, and worked quite well. It did remember and transmit DDC info to all computers regardless of which one was connected, and I liked having buttons on the KVM itself to switch between computers.

I prefer to plug the computer's audio directly into speakers, or use a simple passive audio mixer. That's because you tend to get audio dropouts when switching between machines. Audio dropouts are more annoying than the black screen as your monitor resyncs. Besides, you might have music or something else playing on one machine while using another, and the KVM will only play audio from one. At least, none of the KVM's I've used will mix the audio.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans
Quote:

Yes. I personally use a UPS for power, and have the power cables plugged into that (with an adaptor for the C-14 sockets that UPSes use).

Right ! So it can be just single UPS with 4 or more slots for input.. What i thinking of is that even if computers not powerd up, but power cable attached : i still have some leds on motherboards light, mean that still, some electrecity is coming on. How UPS handle that ? Just like a hub, so i will have all computers in some hybernate mode when eletrecity a little bit , but still, in ? Or you simple switch slots on UPS manually ?

Quote:

I prefer to plug the computer's audio directly into speakers, or use a simple passive audio mixer. That's because you tend to get audio dropouts when switching between machines. Audio dropouts are more annoying than the black screen as your monitor resyncs. Besides, you might have music or something else playing on one machine while using another, and the KVM will only play audio from one. At least, none of the KVM's I've used will mix the audio.

What i mostly need, is not working on different amigaos4 machines at the same time, but just to work on one of them, withoyt needs to replug. I.e. if one work, all other powered off. As this is only the request i need, probabaly i will have no "sync/black/timeing" issues ? (just on begining only, when computer power on) ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
But for HDMI video, usb mouse/keyboard and speakers, want this KVM box, which can produce me 1920x1080x60 with no probs

Does it needs to be excactly ONE device, or would it be ok for you to have separate devices to switch USB and HDMI?

Everything that is "Active" can shows its own problems (USB HIDs not detected, Adding display lag...)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
Right ! So it can be just single UPS with 4 or more slots for input.. What i thinking of is that even if computers not powerd up, but power cable attached : i still have some leds on motherboards light, mean that still, some electrecity is coming on. How UPS handle that ? Just like a hub, so i will have all computers in some hybernate mode when eletrecity a little bit , but still, in ? Or you simple switch slots on UPS manually ?

It'll still provide power for just a few LEDs, even if it's less than the UPS manufacturer's quoted "minimum power." Most important is to make sure that the UPS can deliver more than the power needed for all machines running at max.

Oh, and remember that your network hub needs at least one port more than the number of computers, so you can connect it to all your machines and the router.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
There’s software for that. Don’t remember the name right now.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@arfcarl

MKShare .

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Have you tried anything like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D ... _asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071 ... _asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My KVM has a small handheld remote, and buttons on the front, so I'm not concerned about fancy key detection switching. I haven't used any of these, but have my eye on them to try at some point. I need to get my machines rebuilt and running again, planning for Peg2, A1XE, X1000 and microA1 if I can get the CPU replaced, I got that one cheap due to a broken CPU.

Is there such a thing as a dummy ps2 dongle for the PEG2, I'd generally use the USB keyboard but it doesn't tseem to boot without a ps2 keyboard plugged in, and I don't want to have to deal with that. (Is the XE the same way?)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Similar question that brings Classics into the mix, is there such a thing that would get USB keyboard and mouse from a single cable, such as the keyboard and mouse are in a USB hub, that then gets both classic Amiga keyboard and mouse out of that? I'd love to have my 4000T on my KVM as well, but haven't figured this part out yet.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@alfcarl
You probably confuse with sharing at the same time, but i mean mechanical devices allowing to connect msny computers, but use only one at time.

@blit
Pegasos2 100% works witc just usb mouse and usb keyboard. I didnt have anything ps2 anymore and peg2 works just with usb devices. The key there is to have latest firmware and put keyboard on the first port. Same issue like on x1000, where you need to connect keyboard to first port

@sonic
At first i will be happy with just hdmi switch, as it pain to replug them in the dark :)

I basically will be happy with just mechanical switch controlled manually and only use one computer at time

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Personally, I have 4 monitors on my desk. One for my work laptop, one for my main Windows box, one for my X5K, one on dual switches for VGA and HDMI. I tend to share the keyboard and mouse on the PC via Synergy to all the systems. I just move my mouse from screen to screen.

The Amiga synergy client I use comes from UHC tools. They provide an OS 3 and OS 4 binary. It's not 100%, some issues with clipboard and screen blanking, but does work very well and is transparent 95% of the time.

Cheers,
Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@bill
That the sharing in other way around: i have 1 monitor, 1 keyboard and 1 mouse and want without hassle use only one amiga from whole list when i need it, without dancing with cables :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kas1e
there is also MKShare tool on AMIStore. I am not tested but probably it is like Synergy. I.e. at least one Amiga ( with mouse and keyboard ) must be turn on.

I know, it is not exactly you want, but sometimes can help.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I am using two KVMs:

Gembird CAS441: 4x PS/2+VGA for older machines. Works perfectly everywhere.
Secomp DVI USB switch: 4x USB + DVI. Works in operating system, but during early boot ( firmware ) keyboard not detected, so I cannoct select U-Boot or OpenFirmware options.

I use also Aten 4port USB sharing device US424. ( no shared video). It wotks in OS, and partially in early firmeare boot - I have to very quick re-select proper device after reset.

So I also ask you, if you know KVM USB + DVI/HDMI working also in firmware, it will be super.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
At first i will be happy with just hdmi switch, as it pain to replug them in the dark :)

I basically will be happy with just mechanical switch controlled manually and only use one computer at time

Thats the HDMI Switch i used some time ago with X5000 (RadeonHD and Radeon RX):

HDMI Switch 3 to 1 with Amplifier

Even if product description says max resolution is 1080p It worked flawlessly using 2560x1440@75.

The USB Switch i am using is a "ATEN US 424". It offers support for 4 Computers and works like a charm* with X5000 and A1200 (+SUM USB).

*No problems even when switching often, in uboot, during boot, on WB, in Games, .... probably beacause it simply connects electronically the selected Computer while not intercepting/forwarding USB-HID like high end KVM devices do.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@IamSonic
Quote:

Thats the HDMI Switch i used some time ago with X5000 (RadeonHD and Radeon RX)

Just between two computer x5000 and a1200 ? It's just mechanical switch, or all automatically ? I mean you connect one time, and when power on machine it "just" works or you need to switch between by button on the device ?

Quote:

The USB Switch i am using is a "ATEN US 424".

Not needs for manual button press ? Just connect everything and it works depends on what machine is boot ? I just read that it seems do not have a mechanical button to switch between computers, but do have some pult instead :(

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kAs1e

Quote:
Just between two computer x5000 and a1200 ? It's just mechanical switch, or all automatically ?

I had 3 devices connected to it. It automatically switches to the first device you're powering on. Additionally it has a button on it to switch manually.

Quote:
Not needs for manual button press ?

It has a wired button ­­~1m long. It remembers the last active Computer (1-4).

Both devices are electronical switches.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Kas1e
I only have a switch for 2 machines. But i use it just for mouse/kbd. Working nice.
I have a monitor capable of showing 2 machines at the same time. It's an old Aten switch.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Currently I use this one:
TESmart HDMI KVM (8 port, 4k 60Hz support)
Works perfectly with all machines here (X5000, A1222, sam460ex, MOS G4, Aros PC, and std. PCs / Macs).
Current input devices are a Logitech G213 and a Logitech MX Ergo trackball (btw.: I use another MX Ergo to control my two A1200 via Rys MK II, the MX Ergo can switch between two devices on the fly ).

I can not recommend this one and would therefore not recommend any Aten products:
Aten CS1768 (8 port DVI)
- apparently not enough power to support my old Logitech Prodigy. Sometimes it got lost during boot, no lighting, no multimedia key support, etc.
- mouse emulation not working.
- stupid non-configurable hotkeys.
- always dumb OSDs.

In general I can also recommend switches by Uniclass. I had several DVI switches from them (AL-204A, RD1086). They did the job, but all in all I'd go for the TESmart any time again.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 »