Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

sinisrus, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
List of where to buy AmigaOS 4.x systems
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi everyone,

I was inspired by number6 in a thread over at Amiga.org concerning the availability of AmigaOS 4.x compatible systems for purchase.

Due to this, I have checked out different shops and also contacted them for more information. I aim to keep the list updated in the future.

If you are interested in having a look, you can find it here:

https://amigaos4gaming.com/2022/05/29/ ... s-4-x-compatible-systems/

The first company to reply was Relec, which provided information about AmigaOne X5040 and that you can pre-order the new Sam460LE "The Red One".

Update May 30th: Updated with replies from Amedia Computer, Alinea and Amiga on the Lake.

Edited by AmigaOldskooler on 2022/5/30 7:48:02
Edited by AmigaOldskooler on 2022/5/30 21:25:47
Go to top
Re: List of where to buy AmigaOS 4.x systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
When/if the 5040 comes out i will need to upgrade. :-O
Even if the wife won't be to happy about it.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmigaOldskooler
thanks for info. It helps.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

Quote:
Antique wrote:When/if the 5040 comes out i will need to upgrade. :-O
Even if the wife won't be to happy about it.

..I think that you do not have no more place for another Amiga 😂 just saying ;)

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich

Warp - Croatian Amiga portal
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
Antique wrote:When/if the 5040 comes out i will need to upgrade. :-O Even if the wife won't be to happy about it.

Being very well experienced with your situation I can tell that to keep the wife happy with your 'upgrade' you'll have to 'upgrade' something for her as well! Unfortunately for us their 'upgrades' are usually more costly than our eh

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
Being very well experienced with your situation I can tell that to keep the wife happy with your 'upgrade' you'll have to 'upgrade' something for her as well! Unfortunately for us their 'upgrades' are usually more costly than our eh

I have to say it's perfectly fine when upgrade is more expensive for a woman.
We will give it back to you by being nice and kind.
That's just right.

AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sailor

Amiga rules

My AmigaOne X5000 has 5 years now.

And still going on

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello,

I've sent out a new batch of e-mails to Amiga shops concerning the availability of AmigaOS 4 compatible systems. The list has now been updated:

https://amigaos4gaming.wordpress.com/2 ... s-4-x-compatible-systems/

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sailor

Love should never have a price tag.
If you truly love someone you go with his/her hobbies and support, no matter what.
Balance on giving and taking is key...

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I purchased brand new Amiga X5000/040 back in November and it came two weeks ago. So, new X5000 systems are available (can confirm). I still tinker with it. So far works fine, only issue is that the Antec case is more noisy than the X1000 Fractal case (may be the Radeon RX550 adds to this).

The AmigaOne X5000 is the best Amiga that I ever had (I used to have almost every Amiga model except A3000).

I also have Ultimate MiSTer FPGA and Apollo Core V4+ for newer Amiga experience, but I prefer the NG Amiga experience.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@drHirudo

Congratulations on the AmigaOne X5000! Watched your unboxing video not long ago - good stuff!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@drHirudo

Quote:
The AmigaOne X5000 is the best Amiga that I ever had (I used to have almost every Amiga model except A3000).

I keep saying the same

Seeing that GGS-Data still has an X5000/020 listed, I'd most likely go and get it if I didn't already own one. The prices of lower-end models such as the Sam460LE and the upcoming A1222 have skyrocketed due to the chip crisis, which makes the high-end machines suddenly look more appealing. Yes, 2000 EUR is bonkers, but 1000 EUR for the sub-par Sam460LE is even more insane.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Not sure GGS-Data have them in stock though. When I ordered mine, it was listed "in stock" but he replied that he didn't have it in stock. He then went out to his contacts and after a month, he got hold of a new (as in not previously used) motherboard for me.

I still have the invoice and it is dated 2022-03-12. So in roughly one month, I have been an owner of an AmigaONE X5000/020 for one year. :)

Current Amiga computers: Vampire V4-SA, Sam460ex, A1-X5000/020
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

I agree that Sam460 price is hight, but I actually can't see that much difference between x5000. What I'm saying that there limitations of x5000 than will resurface little bit later than Sam460. In general x5000 cpus is really not super fast comparing anything new today. That gap between x5000 and Sam460 is really small when you put it in that perspective.

Take Core 2 Quad q9550 it destroys x5000 🙄 and it's OLD cpu.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@PixelHi

Quote:
That gap between x5000 and Sam460 is really small when you put it in that perspective.

The X5000 has faster memory (DDR3 compared to the Sam460's DDR2). Also, I don't think that the Sam460LE can take more than 2GB of physical memory (the Sam460ex couldn't), which limits the machine in the use of Exec's Extended Memory framework.

The X5000 is dual-core and soon will be the first Amiga system to benefit from the multicore kernel that is being developed. Also, the X5000 has cache coherency and thus allows GART, giving it an advantage over the Sam460 in the graphics department as well. So no, I can't really agree that the machines are comparable.

Edited by trixie on 2023/2/8 18:30:59
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

it's all depend on what you want from your device. I just can't see AmigaOS4.1 conquering the world anytime soon 🙄.

I got Sam460 to get AmigaOS4.1 experience. Comparing BlizardaPPC it's like a night and a day. Sam460 vs x5000? Sure x5000 is faster, but what I'm going to use that speed for? Playing 3d games from 2008?

For that i have q9550, 12gb ram, Windows 7, SSD, rx550 etc. and I don't need to pay for it $3k.

Im not saying x5000 is bad or anything, but I was trying to convince myself to get it over Sam460 and I just can't do it. Even PPC Linux is basically done and AmigaOS is light years behind it.

BTW. My Sam460 is very small comparing x5000. Why do I need 7 PCI/PCIE slots? I have my A1200 in full tower, that is plenty for me (and my wife!)

BTW2. and even today I can't use floppies with AmigaOS 4.1! What type of retro computing is that!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@PixelHi

My Sam460 is not that great compapared to my AmigaONE X5000. The onboard SATA is somewhere between 10-20 times faster than the PCI Sata controller you are forced to use on the Sam460.

That said, and since you brought it up. Why even use Amiga today if other solutions can be faster and more effective?

I am pretty sure that my AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X with an NVidia 3070Ti TUF Gaming Overclocked will run circles around your abysmal PC.

This is beside the point though...

My question to you is... Why do you want to use an Amiga today? You have perfectly made a point that there is no point, for you, to use an Amiga. So... why are you even here?

This is an honest question.

EDIT: You are talking about floppies. Why are you not using a classic Amiga system instead? Modern PCs are not shipped with floppy drives since 10+ years back. Why should a next gen Amiga system do that? AmigaNG is not "retro" the way you think it should be.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@PixelHi

Quote:
I just can't see AmigaOS4.1 conquering the world anytime soon

Neither can I But that's not the plan; AmigaOS4 is a retroplatform like any other, only with certain benefits such as modern graphics and accelerated video playback.

Quote:
Sure x5000 is faster, but what I'm going to use that speed for?

It's a common fallacy (especially popular among the Classic Amiga crowd) that NG systems don't bring any software that makes use of the power of the hardware. To appreciate the X5000, try anything that involves working with high-definition audio, for example. Like Rave, to blow my own trumpet

Quote:
My Sam460 is very small comparing x5000. Why do I need 7 PCI/PCIE slots?

Yes, I agree - the X5000 is too big, which limits the user's choice of chassis (especially if you're after a desktop case). They should have stayed with the original MicroATX format of the prototype.

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@PixelHi
It depends on everybody's view.

I prefer extendable computes with many expansion slots. Somebody prefer a little ones.
For example in the beginning of MorphOS there was Pegasos 2 with 3 PCI slots. Slots was unusable that time, no drivers. Today it makes from Pegasos 2 much better machine with SATA-II controller, USB2.0, better sound.

My old dual-xeon workstation Z10PE-D16 WS has six PCIe slots, four full 16x, two 8x. I can upgrade it with PCIe NVME, more graphics cards and others.
If I have spare money, I was buy Talos II for sure. But as I said, it depends.
Some other people prefer to have single computer. Why not.

I have X1000 and also don't want buy X5000. Becouse there is no big difference. But if there will be Tabor, I am interested.
Today, I am not missing CPU speed on AmigaOS world. In real I am missing LibreOffice. And more big strategies like Europa Universalis

So I clearly undertant why you not want X5000. Some other people want.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
IMHO, the best approach for AmigaOS hardware is a bare minimum board with maximum expansion slots.

1) It's more future proof. Less risk for obsolescence
2) Less complex custom hardware -> Less hardware development risk.
3) Overall cheaper system. (Simple custom board + mass market expansion boards)
4) You need drivers anyways. No matter if the hardware is onboard or on an expansion card.

And even the mainboard should be divided in a 4 layer carrier board (with expansion slots, power supply and support logic.) and a small processor board containing only local supplies, CPU and DDR slots.

An MXM connector should be used as interconnect.

But that is my 2 cents

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »