Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I just came home from work and turned on my PC and my ?A1. Apparently there was a short power break just as the ?A1 was loading up U-boot. The PC is connected to a UPS so it wasn't affected, the A1 lost power however and went out.

Now when I try to turn the A1 back on again there is no reaction at all? No sound, no nothing, it's like it's not getting any power.

Before there was always a yellow light at the ethernet port when the computer was plugged in but now there is nothing. Does this mean that the PSU has stopped working?

Edited by salass00 on 2007/8/24 6:53:03
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

Could be the PSU, but a serial log would help a lot to find the problem.

A1-XE/G4@933+Radeon7500/64MB, A1200BPPC+BVision
AmigaOS4 on both of course.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

Sounds like the PSU is dead.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@salass00
I'd bet on the PSU as well. You should also replace the battery while you are in there.

Take that cursed PC off the UPS and plug in the Amiga as well.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Thanks for the replies.

Nothing happens when I press the power button. Not even the PSU starts up so I guess it's the PSU that is dead then.

Hopefully that means that the motherboard's still OK.

When I get the chance I'll ask my brother to help with getting a new case/PSU. He's a lot more experienced at this stuff than I am. Maybe also buy a spare battery at the same time just in case.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@salass00

It may just the fuse inside the PSU that has broken. Just take the thing apart and have a look for a glass tube type fuse you will be able to see if it's broken.

It's a fairly easy job to do with a soldering iron. Just make sure you don't touch the ends of the capacitors.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @salass00

Now when I try to turn the A1 back on again there is no reaction at all?
No sound, no nothing, it's like it's not getting any power.

I would search around for some kind of fuse/fuselink ? I would start where
the PSU plugs into MOBO.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@salass00

You can test the powersupply by removing the atx connector from the motherboard and ~AC feed from the back.

Put a wire loop accross pin 14(ON(green)) and pin 15(COM)
plug the ~AC back in and the powersupply will think its attached to the motherboard still.

You can check voltages with a meter and see if your drives power up.

Resized Image

On more little quirk my A1c had was, that it sometimes wouldn't boot. I had to turn it off at the case switch, move the bios jumper, turn it on again at the case switch and immediatly off, move bios jumper back to its original position and turn it on and it would then boot.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Jurassicc

Yep, mine has the same quick each time it is disconnected from the mains. It's definiately worth a try.

Simon

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

I have a similar quirk but it's to do with the old Radeon 7000 card. If power is removed while the system is running, the Radeon locks up somehow and the system won't boot up again for a while. It only happens with the Radeon 7000, I have no prob with the 9250.

It happens on both my A1s which have different PSUs. Wherever the 7000 is, I always have to remember to switch off with the front panel button first, before switching off the power at the back or pulling the mains plug.

The only way I have found to recover is to put power on the case, but with the PSU off. Leave it like that for 20 minutes, then I can switch the PSU back on and it will work.

Blackouts are so seldom here that I always forget and have to "learn" the fix again.

PS: I forgot, when it fails to boot, U-Boot gets to the point where it would normally say "VGA: 0" but never does, it just hangs.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I am posting this from the ?A1. I have temporarily connected the PSU from the PC to the ?A1 to check if the ?A1 motherboard is really still working (my brother's idea) and apparently it is. I have also contacted Antec's support (the company that made the case/PSU) about ordering a replacement PSU from them but have not got an answer from them yet, except that they wanted to know what serial number the PSU was.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@salass00

Well done, anyway what do you need that PC for anyway

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@salass00

Quote:

salass00 wrote:
I am posting this from the ?A1. I have temporarily connected the PSU from the PC to the ?A1 to check if the ?A1 motherboard is really still working (my brother's idea) and apparently it is.

Welcome back from the land of dead A1s

Jack

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

For playing Thief and System Shock 2 .

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@salass00
Sounds like you need to change the forum topic from == to !=

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
My brother and I are going to look into buying a small UPS for the ?A1 so that once we get the power supply replaced something like this hopefully won't happen again, ever.

Power breaks like this are far too frequent here, so I wouldn't want to have it running without an UPS now that I've seen what can happen. Especially as the A1 itself can't be replaced if it is destroyed.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Another update. I got an answer from Antec and it seems the warranty was still in force the month that I made the support ticket with them, so now I just need to get the PSU posted to them and they should send me a replacement.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

What case is it?
I have blew one Antec Aria's case PSU, and i got replacement, seems that that is also going down.
(Odd noises from PSU, like from first that blew up).

So it was last Antec's cases i'm going to buy never.

?A1-C 750GX@933, 512mb, Onboard GFX, Multi DVD Burner. OS4 JulyUpd
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jape

Antec Minuet. It was sold bundled with the ?A1 (not installed though).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@salass00

Yes, youre right my memory doesnt serve me right :)
Antec minuet, not Aria

?A1-C 750GX@933, 512mb, Onboard GFX, Multi DVD Burner. OS4 JulyUpd
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »