Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Re: Should I expect better video playback performance? (Southern Island/X1000 Updates)
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@skateman
Yeah... Matthew mentioned that in previous message,

Quote:
I have no problem with enabling this file on Updater tool as a free download for anyone who owns Enhancer Software V2 or DVPlayer V54.

But then he also mentioned:

Quote:
However, RadeonHD V5 will be also needed for video acceleration and that is a chargable item.

So, whoever bought DVPlayer will need to pay for the RadeonHD v5 which was never mentioned before. That's what initiated all this discussion, without Matthew clearing out if there is going to be a discount for those who bought DVPlayer or if it will be included with a future update of Enhancer package.

And based on Matthew's carging policy, I do not expect this to be cheap, or even if it will be provided as a separate package. If not, then I guess that those who bought DVPlayer might need to buy the whole SystemV54 to get what they were promised.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Re: Should I expect better video playback performance? (Southern Island/X1000 Updates)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@walkero

That would implicit that users who paid for DVplayer to get the SI VA library are not able to use it?

Nah..that would be very unwise...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Skateman

I had feelings about this when it was announced at Amiwest, so kept my purse close and closed. Awaiting the final word on capability and cost and requirements -- and reviews from other users.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amigakit

Quote:
Final Edition was freudian slip when named? It was certainly priced as a fire-sale without seemingly any forward planning to development and investment.

Yes, that's quite possible

I'm of course aware of all the things that happened or didn't happen or came in the way. But that's not the point. Our debate needs to return to the fundamental question: how do we increase the OS4 userbase? Even more so because in my opinion, there are two new factors that make this goal harder to reach (compared to the situation from some years ago):

1) The retro Amiga market is now so much more vibrant and attractive, offering numerous solutions for people who would like to "return to the Amiga" in some form. This significantly narrows the space for OS4 and AmigaOS clones (i.e. the Next-Gen Amiga in general).

2) I'm afraid you no longer have a viable product to sell to new users. The A1222+ has been delayed to the point of becoming irrelevant: the design is obsolete, the actual manufacturing is in limbo, the OS is not finished, noone's working on an SDK needed to compile software for the arcane SPE unit. Focus seems to be on developing an AmigaOS clone in a situation where we already have two clones, both of them strugling with the same userbase problem.

All this creates uncertainty which not only makes the platform unattractive to potential new adopters, but also raises doubts among the existing userbase whether we like the future that is being presented to us. Or worse, whether the platform has a future at all and is worth our time and money.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@trixie

Repeating this for you since either (1) no one heard you the first time or (2) not a single soul has an idea

Quote:
Our debate needs to return to the fundamental question: how do we increase the OS4 userbase?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Might be wise to qualify the machines that you tested on to avoid any possible misrepresentation especially for non A-Eon machines .

@kas1eQuote:
kas1e wrote:@all
At least i as a beta tester can say, that Emotion/DvPlayer works correctly and plays videos fine with GPU support via va.library on the latest RadeonHD driver and all the related stuff.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre660
That on x5000.

Are you have issues on sam460 with ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I did a one off test yesterday.
There are still serious issues with RadeonHD video acceleration and Sam460ex .

I use a Radeon Rx and that works very well with video acceleration on the Same460ex.
Due to my past experiences with Amiga hardware guarantees ,things like graphics cards swapping for test purposes is a thing of the past for me so I will not be doing any more RadeonHD tests .

@kas1eQuote:
kas1e wrote:@Spectre660
That on x5000.

Are you have issues on sam460 with ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Spectre660

Quote:
Due to my past experiences with Amiga hardware guarantees ,things like graphics cards swapping for test purposes is a thing of the past for me so I will not be doing any more RadeonHD tests .

Thats too bad Spectre660! You inspired and helped me a lot at the Hyperion forum. Did i not recall correct that your X5000 was damaged by a water/fluid something... ?

Edited by Skateman on 2022/3/13 19:09:42
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre660
At least Sam460 have RAdeonRX all what need from RadeonHD for real is currently be able to handle properly X1000 and that all.

Hope Mattew have someone who will test video playbac on x1000 with RadeonHD to avoid possble problems (if they happens on sam460 with radeonhd already)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
Hope Mattew have someone who will test video playbac on x1000 with RadeonHD to avoid possble problems (if they happens on sam460 with radeonhd already)

Well, if he doesn't, I have a RadeonHD 7750 in my X1000 and have purchased DVPLayer. I'd be happy to test video playback.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Happy to test anything as well. I have two X1000s each with R9 270 cards. Have not yet purchased the newer DVPlayer and Enhancer versions, however. EDIT: I have purchased Emotion.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The problems are probably with machines with the gart functions in the drivers disabled. So Sam460ex and Sam440ep plus PCI to PCIEx16 adapter. The 3 A-Eon Models will have gart functions enabled in the driver.

What My tests revealed was a slow playback of a 1080p video with DVplayer and an instant crash when using Emotion.

I did not file a bug report because I am not willing to keep switching cards to test at this point.

No such problems with the Radeon Rx card and driver.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
If there is interest, I can do betatesting for new drivers, but I don't know who I can contact.

I have PCIe-capable X1000, Sam440ep-flex (and preordered Sam460LE )

Go to top
Re: Should I expect better video playback performance? (Southern Islands / X1000 Updates)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Bad spelling day . but :

Moving DVplayer Window ons Sam460ex with Radeon HD Causes computer to freeze

http://www.amiga.org/developer/bugreports/view.php?id=884

Sluggish playback at 1080P on Sam460ex with DVplayer and RadeonHD hardware acceration

http://www.amiga.org/developer/bugreports/view.php?id=883

Computer Freeze with Emotion Video Player on Sam460ex with RadeonHD hardware acceration

http://www.amiga.org/developer/bugreports/view.php?id=882

Go to top
Re: Should I expect better video playback performance? (Southern Islands / X1000 Updates)
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@Spectre660
I remember that I had some similar crashes on my X5000 with RadeonRX as well. The issue was the power setting where I should have it at the higher.

Is there something like that for RadeonHD? If yes, did you test to put it on high?

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
If i recall correct the powersettings panel is only for the RX cards.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Spectre660

Does anyone test it on SAM440?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@mbrantley

That's the best approach in the Amiga world: purchase software or hardware only when it does what you want, not in hopes of future capabilities. Hopefully you'll be pleased when VA for RadeonHD cards is released.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkero

Thanks.
That does help with the moving of the DVplayer window but freezes on resizing the window persist.

Quote:
walkero wrote:@Spectre660
I remember that I had some similar crashes on my X5000 with RadeonRX as well. The issue was the power setting where I should have it at the higher.

Is there something like that for RadeonHD? If yes, did you test to put it on high?

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 »