Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 4 5 »
Whats next?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
After finishing SAM460Lite & AmigaOS4.1 for DjNick bounty and Updated and improved Avcodec.library. for AmigaOS4.x whats next? What would you like to donate money to? Should we make it a habit to donate money every month so we can get more ppl on important projects? Amigabounty has alot of suggestions:

AmigaBounty

What do you think?

One bounty i really would like to donate money to is LibreOffice. If/when Alfki think its possible would you donate? I think an office suite would be a big step to make OS4 more complete. I downloaded it and tried it. Its a very good and useful program.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Go to top
Re: Whats next?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I agree.

We need a complete Office pack.

AmigaOne X5000 OS4.1 FEU1 And Lubuntu 10.04
1200 towered with Blizzard PPC - BVision and Mediator
And a new fantastic Chameleon64
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
But maybe the OO guy would finish the port if he was granted a sum of euro? Let's say 10k as an example? Or wouldn't it change anything?
A good office program would be good yes.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@antique
No forget OO i dont think there is any progress there. I hope alfkill can get back to us when he gets his SAM back to tell us of its possible and how much work it would take.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I would like to suggest a bounty for a "native" vesrion of a X11 enviroment. I mean - to have all the current AmiCygnix apps to work on a Workbench screen and to use system drawing methods (to gain some speed up...)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
LibreOffice: LIke kas1e stated on the similar thread on AW we must wait for the Gallium/Mesa port to be completed before further work can conitnue on QT to bring it up to speed. However, I guess there would be nothing stopping development on LibreOffice at least being started - of course when Gallium/Mesa arrives during this development process the goal posts might have changed considerably so the porting effort would stall and current code would have to be revisted.

OpenOffice: No news so far. However, I do believe that having a OpenGL implementation brought out by the Gallium/Mesa port will certainly have an impact on whether OpenOffice for AmigaOS will be realised or not.

I hope Hyperion will bring us up-to-date soon with how this is progressing. Optimiscally II'd hope for April/May, but as I have no inside information my total guess is as good as yours.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Radov
Quote:

I would like to suggest a bounty for a "native" vesrion of a X11 enviroment. I mean - to have all the current AmiCygnix apps to work on a Workbench screen and to use system drawing methods (to gain some speed up...)

As for me, it even will be more than enough if cygnix apps will works fast as native (the same speed of rendering, the same speed of menu-reacting, etc). Then all of this at least can be usable for real.

I ask cygnuxed about it 1-2 years ago, but he say its all hard, and he can't/wan't worry about it.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I find it interesting how no-one has even started a bounty for either of these two office products in the past.

Ps. Why do you we have two bounty sites? Why not merge them into one?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikky
Quote:

I find it interesting how no-one has even started a bounty for either of these two office products in the past.

Because openoffice was already "kind of taken", but about Libre no one worry (as there wasn't qt).

Quote:

Ps. Why do you we have two bounty sites? Why not merge them into one?

Me ? Or who ? And what bounty sites ? There is one: amigabounty. openamiga its not about bounties. Or you mean power2people ? But that one also different.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes i agree. If alfkill think its possible lets start it even if its slow. Otherwise we have to start when we get gallium/mesa and we have to wait one more year.

Quote:
I guess there would be nothing stopping development on LibreOffice at least being started - of course when Gallium/Mesa arrives during this development process the goal posts might have changed considerably so the porting effort would stall and current code would have to be revisted.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I would like a tracker with midi/audio support so i can mix samples and my hardware synthesizers. In other words something like digibooster with midi. I think renoise and protrekkr on pc has it. Never used protrekkr with midi (os4 version lacks it) but i heard renoise is good.

A machine for HD-Rec developer. This way he could see the crashes. I dont know if he would like to. But i think it would be nice. More good working music apps is always needed.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
power2people? Thats like a swear word 'round these parts isn't it?

Correct, I meant AmigaBounty and OpenAmiga.. same layout and design (perhaps its an off-the-shelve 'forum'), both hardly ever used (it seems going by timestamps on everything), okay one is for bounties the other is not; I didn't realise there was a difference between the two given the similiarities.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Maybe we can create our own office suit?

Word processor
Cinnamon Writer
KWord
LyX

Spreadsheet
Gnumeric
EditGrid

Presentation program
?

AmigaOne X5000
Radeon HD 7700
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Joeled

Even though, I donnot have any programming/technical insights of OOlight or LibreOffice, I still belive

- to hard/takes to long to port for one person
- might gain massive speed enhancement in conjunction with Gallium - but an Amiga Office Suite should be "lean"/useable on upcoming (low spec) OS4 netbooks - will Qt+Gallium be fast enough ?

Quote:
Maybe we can create our own office suite?

Yes, I guess this should be the way to go. We need a team of several skilled programmers for that. So it probably doesn't matter if they port or rewrite from scratch. So, I vote for rewriting from scratch. Maybe enhancing Cinnamon Writer might be the only starting point, if you donnot want to rewrite from scratch.

So yes, I guess people desperatly need an "office suite"* and would probably donnate a lot.

*Office Suite = Wordprocessing/Spreadsheet capable of reading MS formats

Database: Use MUIBase, which is already really good
Presentation: Use Hollywood/Designer (maybe Powerpointimport/Export could be added)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes but we cant wait 2 years or smtg. Maybe Edgar Schwan can make a nativ port of Gnumeric? How finished is CW? Would be nice to have a start menu where you see all program and then just klick on Gnumeric if thats the one you want to use. A real AmiOffice would be nice.

Quote:
So, I vote for rewriting from scratch. Maybe enhancing Cinnamon Writer might be the only starting point, if you donnot want to rewrite from scratch. So yes, I guess people desperatly need an "office suite"* and would probably donnate a lot. *Office Suite = Wordprocessing/Spreadsheet capable of reading MS formats Database: Use MUIBase, which is already really good Presentation: Use Hollywood/Designer (maybe Powerpointimport/Export could be added)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@alfkil
Quote:
OpenOffice: No news so far.

Of course, as long as no Amiga developer cares

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood
Did that source code on which you point out in the news on which you point contain any aos4 specific changes ? Or in general there is nothing done at all, and need to start from scratch ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi everybody

As you may know my name is Claus Desler and I am the author Cinnamon Writer. I have been invited to this thread by Joeled to comment on the status of CW and whether I would be interested in following up with a spreadsheet program.

Current status of CW:
CW is constantly being improved and its features expanded. The speed of this depends greatly on the workload of my "real" job.
CW support antialias fonts and the layout and paragraph styles that are used in roughly 99% of daily use (my own guestimate ). CW supports a rather advanced undo/redo system that in some aspects outperform even systems found in Word and OO. CW has rudimentary printing support which will be updated shortly. With the latest update of CW (oct/nov 2011) DocX support was added. This means that CW is able to exchange documents from all word processors that utilize this format (newer Word versions, newer OO versions and others). The support only relates to the features built into CW, that is images f.ex. are not supported yet.
CW is fully amiga native and was from day 1 designed with amiga in mind

Future of CW:
The logic of CW versioning is that when it reaches v 1.00, CW will have all of the features that people uses 99% of the time when using a word processor. It will not be able to do all the things that Word or OO offers, but it will concentrate on the most important and most often features used. Furthermore, I will, if possible implement these features so they function as good or better than in Word and OO.

The latest version of CW was 0.751 so we are getting close. The main points that we are missing are:
- Support for columns
- Support for images
- Support for tables
- Spellcheck

On my computer right now, I have a version where spellcheck has been integrated and is fully functional (until I find a bug). I only need to add some functionality requested by users for this version before I release it. After that I will be working on support for images and shortly thereafter on support for tables. In conclusion: I hope to have version 1.00 ready this year (with several updates during the year)

CW spreadsheet:
I have been thinking a lot about how much work it would be to make a Spreadsheet equivalent to CW, and the answer is too much if I have to do it alone. However, another solution I have been thinking about is to utilize the CW foundation and add a plug-in system where other contributors could add functionality (Think of a Cos subroutine or a statistics subroutine or a subroutine for making bar graphs or pie graphs). This is completely possible, but requires a lot of help from skilled people who knows mathematics, statistics and other-

Other platforms:
Eventhough I have primarily published CW versions for AOS, I am very interested in porting to other Amiga platforms, as such I am trying to get the latest version up and running on AROS. Similar plans also exist for porting to Morphos

How much work will I do:
The completion of any and all of these projects completely depends on whether people would want a solution like CW. People should understand that any undertaking with a project this size takes a lot of time and a lot of hard effort. Even though I could make a super-duper version of CW and follow up with a Spreadsheet program it won't really matter if people are not interesting in using/trying them because they are basically just holding out for a full port of OpenOffice . Not only me, but all developers needs some encouragement to continue their projects. This is not always the same as donations, but more importantly positive critique, good suggestions for future features or just a short reminder once in a while that a person is using the said software

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e
Will you give it a try? Dont you have any russian friend who has time and are willing to code if he gets a os4machine?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@desler
Quote:

Not only me, but all developers needs some encouragement to continue their projects. This is not always the same as donations, but more importantly positive critique, good suggestions for future features or just a short reminder once in a while that a person is using the said software

Can we help you somehow ? Maybe bounty ?

Also, to note, i personally hold all my tryes until (and if someday) CW will have classic amigaos-like menu system: i.e. user press on right mouse button, and dropdown menu spawns. Its very usable, and very handy, in compare with all the time moving the mouse cursor to some bar, where to choice what you want to do.

Did you have any plans to add support of native menus ? Or did there some big problems which prevent you to adding dropdown menus to the programm ?

@joled
Quote:

Will you give it a try? Dont you have any russian friend who has time and are willing to code if he gets a os4machine?

I do not know, but imho we should support Desler, and convince him somehow to add dropdown menus, so it can be the same as all the other native apps by feel.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 4 5 »