Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
164 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 163

VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
OS 4.1 native AIM / ICQ / Y! client?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
My Google-fu is failing me. I can't find an ICQ, AIM, or Y! client for AmigaOS 4.1.

There appear to be a few MSN clients, which boggles me - do that many more people use MSN chat than AIM?

I'm looking for an actual AmigaOS app - not something that runs under X11, because an X server is a lot of overhead. (And it's very slow, on a Sam440.)

--jbni

Go to top
Re: OS 4.1 native AIM / ICQ / Y! client?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@jbni

Have you tried Jabberwocky?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
We need normal ICQ client (like as Miranda on win32), not these unlogical and little by features jabberwookies.

2 years ago i tryed Jabberwookie on my os3.9, and it works, i can talk with ICQ users, but, it was far from perfect, without normal "history" handler and so on.

So, jbni?, you can try JAbberwookie, and it will works i think, but prepare to see that is not so good for modern usage.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Jabberwocky is a Jabber client. While it's theoretically possible to connect to other IMs using Jabber, you have to give your username and password to a third party.

I found Epistula on OS4Depot and Aminet which claims to be a plugin-based IM client for AIM/ICQ/etc... but it doesn't actually come with any plugins, and I can't find any to download anywhere.

EDIT: Update! The Epistula home page is down, but I found it in the Wayback Machine. But the file links weren't cached, so I can't download it from there.

Does anyone have the Epistula installer file and free keyfile mentioned here?

http://web.archive.org/web/2007122611 ... -snakepit.co.uk/projects/

Edited by jbni on 2010/1/12 13:35:09
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

For ICQ you can use WookieChat..For me the best "chat" client on AOS..Using it for ICQ,IRC and GoogleTalk...

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich

Warp - Croatian Amiga portal
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jbni

Quote:

jbni wrote:
@Chris

Jabberwocky is a Jabber client. While it's theoretically possible to connect to other IMs using Jabber, you have to give your username and password to a third party.

I found Epistula on OS4Depot and Aminet which claims to be a plugin-based IM client for AIM/ICQ/etc... but it doesn't actually come with any plugins, and I can't find any to download anywhere.

AFAIK Epistula is dead, the author wrote it here or on AW.net I hope I did not get that wrong, correct me if.

I had a look at the old fring source code and it was already to much for my coding skills. Anyway I requested a port to the fring developers, let's see if I get a reply. Maybe we should send them more emails..

edit: www.fring.com

edit2: or make a bounty and ask/pay jahc if he can improve the fantastic WookieChat or SabreMSN (which is my personal prefered option)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Voodoo
WookieChat for icq ? It's not only IRC client ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Yeah..You need register to Bitlbee server and after that..you can using ICQ,GoogleTalk..

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich

Warp - Croatian Amiga portal
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@VooDoo

Again, this involves giving your username and passwords to a third party. I've been using computers for a long, long time and one of the things drilled into me very early on was to never give a password to /anyone/. ;)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Amigo1

You are correct, unfortunately Epistula has been scrapped, and instead of re-writing everything here I'll just post a link to the AW.net explanation:

Why Epistula Died

It is unfortunate as I had, on my system at least, working MSN and ICQ/AIM (which used the same protocol) plugins for it.

I even released the source code for the plugins and the SDK for writing plugins but they never got used or expanded on by anyone but myself.

From my experience of writing this over the years, most people wanted MSN compatibility and nothing else, hence a dedicated MSN client like SabreMSN was born.

I can probably dig everything (no source code though) out for interested people and send them across to see if they work for you. However, the AIM/ICQ protocol has probably changed since I last worked on them so they might not be any good anyway.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slash

I understand why you stopped working on it, but I'd love to give the existing files a try, if you don't mind sharing them!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I will in interest too to try Epistulla with ICQ plugin :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
CLIMM is very portable, and has a 68K version already. If somebody makes it compile in GCC/CubicIDE and work under OS4, I'll happily write a GUI for it, just like I did with the WordNet dictionary.

www.climm.org

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Slash

I read the story and that's truly very sad..

edit: maybe someone reads this and Hyperion will take you back in the beta-tester boat.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

jbni wrote:
My Google-fu is failing me. I can't find an ICQ, AIM, or Y! client for AmigaOS 4.1. --jbni

For AIM try AmigAIM found HERE!
It's 68K but should run on AmigaOS4 just fine. At least a few revs older version runs fine on OS4 for me on a uA1.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Slash

I'd missed that thread.
I'm sorry to hear things have ended they way they did.
It was looking really promising.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ktadd

Well, AmigAIM logs into AIM okay, and if I add contacts I can see they're online, and I show as online to them, but I can't open a window to send messages, and if someone messages me I don't get it.

Perhaps I need to update the external .mcc files it uses. I'll try to track those down.

--jbni

Edit: Aha! I disabled JIT CPU mode for AmigAIM and it works!

Thanks!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jbni
Quote:
Again, this involves giving your username and passwords to a third party. I've been using computers for a long, long time and one of the things drilled into me very early on was to never give a password to /anyone/. ;)

Every IM system I have accounts on requires a password (AIM, MSN, ICQ, Jabber) so I would guess that you don't use any of those instant messaging systems. What IM do you use?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Amigo1

Quote:

Amigo1 wrote:
@Slash

I read the story and that's truly very sad..

edit: maybe someone reads this and Hyperion will take you back in the beta-tester boat.

While I don't know what happened after Slash got the you-are-kicked-mail, but I know that mentioned "betatest coordinator" a bit and I'm absolutely sure that IF Slash would have really wanted to stay, then some little mail exchange explaining that it was clear from the start why he is in betatesting etc. would have solved the issue.

We have to do clean outs in the betateam every now and then because there simply are (or were before) far too many people just in the team to get access to the newest developments and which didn't do what they originally joined for.
Slash felt in that category simply because we can only judge based on every testers activity on the mailing lists and the bugtracker, and obviously because the "betatest coordinator" didn't know about the initial agreement between Slash and the old coordinator.

Shifting the whole blame to us or the "betatest coordinator" is of course the easiest excuse, but IMO this would have been easily solvable with minimal effort..

(Disclaimer: As I stated at the beginning, I don't know what actually happened or not happened after the kick.. so maybe the efforts were taken but the problem couldn't get solved for some weird reason.)

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

All my IM accounts have a password, of course.

If I want to use AIM, I have to have my password, and I have to give it to AOL; this makes lots of sense, since AOL wants to make sure I'm me, and I don't want anyone to be able to pretend to be me to AOL.

But using Jabber to access AIM means I have to give my AIM password to Big Bob's Jabber to AIM Gateway Service. Big Bob now has my AIM password, and could log in as me to AIM all day long without me knowing it.

(There's really not much one could do with an AIM password except pretend to be the legit user, but MSN passwords are often linked to Xbox Live accounts, and you can do some ugly, costly things with those.)

Only two entities should have my password: me, and the service I'm logging in to.

I'm not a-givin' my passwords to Big Bob, nope nope.

--jbni

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »