Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

kas1e, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Quickfix trouble
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Vacation time! And I just got around installing the latest quickfix on the AmigaONE.

However, this has given me a bit of trouble. The installation went smoothly. But afterwards the Amiga seems to have problems completing the boot process.

It always gets to the AmigaOS 4.1 screen but then it goes right to a blank workbench screen. This happens 3 out of 5 times from cold boot and always from soft reboot.

Those times went it boots probably there is no trouble at all...

Now, could this be battery related or should I look elsewhere?

MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Re: Quickfix trouble
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Skov

After applying the latest quickfix for SAM, I've also experienced what you're describing: the boot progresses normally but ends up in an grey-ish screen with the Workbench screen bar but otherwise blank. However, it happens rarely, definitely not 3 times out of 5.

(SAM 440ep, 667 MHz, 512 MB RAM, KS 53.8)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Skov

You might want to try putting a "set echo on" at the top of startup-sequence to see where it actually hangs.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

From the descriptions you both gave I would guess that the offender is IPrefs. If possible, watch for the serial output, or try a debug kernel and see if there is any output in the memory buffer.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
On my Flex 800/1go, i've got the same problem : most of the warm reboot come now to an empty grey workbench.

I wil try the "set echo on" tonight.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@shadowsun

After installing the fix everything works as normal.
But my psu broke down.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Skov

With the hot fix on my sam440ep 667 I have the same problem soft resets always result in the problem you are describing.

But as I also get graphics corruption with the hotfix on a cold boot that normally always results in a system lockup if I open more than a few draws under workbench.

I have even tried backing up my existing install and doing a fresh install then just applying the hot fix with the same result so it looks like a problem with one of the core components of OS4.1.

Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
blank workbench screen

I got this (blank screen with moveable mouse pointer and nothing else, no title bars or anything) 2-3 times in a row at one night (after both cold and warm boots, if I can remember) and after that everything has been working correctly again. (Actually booting without s-s worked but as soon as I run s-s this happened. If I loaded WB without running s-s no problems.) I couldn't find a reason for that. (Unfortunately I had debug buffer directed to a serial port and I didn't have my another computer on at that moment. And I haven't gotten that problem ever since.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ All
Have a look at http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... pic.php?_id29096&forum=14 this has a large number of post on this matter.

clint

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@clint

Your link doesn't work: "ERROR: topic not selected".

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I love the quick fix

I never have any problems with the SAM Flex, the other SAM lives in a static bag now so don't know about that one

The system is sound and robust and I never get any GRs

And I can compile happily too it seems...

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

Try this way, select Recent Topics and scroll down to Problems with OS4.1 Quickfix. There are 106 replies.

clint

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I think that the grey Os 4 Workbench warm reboot problem come from the usb stack (because with a usb key plug in, it doesn't happen).

I will investigate.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rogue

I have the same problem with my micro, random. I have the "run" command in my network s-s line. I was told to remove it to see if it was messing up IPrefs. Problem is, my micro is hardwired to the router in another room, so I can't tell when the network is ready. I crash if I start some network apps to soon. This doesn't happen if I have the "run" command in the line. Anyway, removing the "run" command didn't stop the problem. I now have a "c:wait 1" line right after "C:IPrefs", give IPrefs one more second to do its thing. Only been a few days, but I boot into WB every time now. Could just be lucky, time will tell.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@shadowsun
Quote:

shadowsun wrote:
I think that the grey Os 4 Workbench warm reboot problem come from the usb stack (because with a usb key plug in, it doesn't happen).

I have gone back to using a debug kernel on my sam440ep (non flex) and that seems to have fixed both my warm boot and graphics corruption issues.

But it could still be some sort of interaction between the USB system and the kernel that was causing the warm boot failure.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
It's really an USB problem,
I don't understand why but when the problem of the grey workbench appear,
when i warm reboot with the mouse deceonnected,
it's OK.

(when i pu the set echo on, it's OK too, that bypass the problem)

Sam Flex 800 / 1 Go

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@shadowsun

I think that it may be interaction using USB that triggers the problems.

For example the screen corruption under workbench to windows backdrops happens to already open windows that have not changed after a number of mouse clicks to open more drawer windows.

I can also consistently crash my sam440ep (non flex) under the non debug kernel (of the quick fix) when restoring backups of my system using directory DOPUS4 if I set it to confirm each file it over rights and restore a backup copy of my system: drive or my programs: from my work partition.

I keep backups of my partitions by just making a copy of all the files each partition to a directory on my work partition. I then lha up the folders with my backups and copy the lha files to another computer on my network using ftp. But I also keep the last none compressed copy on my work partition to allow me to easily restore any files I delete or override by mistake without needing to transfer the lha files back and extract them.

I normally do the backup and restore from inside dopus4 and if I try to restore a complete partition by coping the files back and confirming each file to be replaced 1 at a time under the quick fix non debug kernel my system always crashes in an interesting way, here is what happens with the new non debug kernel:

After clicking on the button to confirm overriding each file one as a time after doing this a few hundred times I get the same screen corruption on my dopus screen and the mouse and keyboard stop responding but the clock on the bottom of the status bar continues to update so the system has not crashed completely. If I try the same thing again under but select the option to override all files rather than confirming them one at a time the file copy operation always completes without problems.

Now I have returned to using the debug kernel I can restore an older backup confirming all files as they are to be copied over without problems.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Dwyloc @All

I suspect some sort of USB related problem with the latest quickfix, too!

I expirience the so-called "vertical copper effect-freeze" and the "red-lines-in-WB-window" effects on my sam no-flex. After doing some voodoo with my mouse and keyboard(s), i.e. changing the USB ports etc. pp. I can provoke the problems almost for 100% - sadly not in all circumstances immidiatly. The system runs stable when you not use mouse or keyboard - which is nice to know, but not really practical (errrm...isn't there a thread about voice recognition?).

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Skov @All
I have been getting the Grey Screen with the workbench title and movable mouse pointer on my G3 A1. I was able to reboot and dump the debug buffer which shows diskimage.device has crashed
http://crashlog.os4depot.net/?function=view&crashlogid=237
Rex

Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@all

It's surely a problem with USBCTRL. I had this grey workbench screen problem on my mA1 the 9 times of almost 10 warm reboots. When I had a usb flash stick attached to the computer, no problem came up. When I didn't have it attached, there was the grey workbench screen.

So I disabled USBCTRL command at SS and no problem at all. Then I run it with:
Run >NIL: C:USBCTRL
and everything was ine again, and my USB ports enabled rom the beginning.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »