Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 116

skynet, flash, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Finally out of the dark ages !
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yes, I've finally convinced 'er inside the doors its worthwhile getting broadband, and I also got round to booking the Engineer to come and drill holes, and tack cables.

now - is there anything I should watch out for ? my primary machine will be the A1 - from AOS4, and debian (should I ever get that to work again).

I only ask as I seem to recall problems using the internal ethernet with the internal IDE Port - am I ok with this, or will I be better off upgrading either the ethernet, or the IDE ?

Will I need an external firewall with OS4, or is anonymity safe enough ?

Cheers all, and a Happy New Year !

Avatar: Avro Vulcan - XH558 needs YOU !!
Go to top
Re: Finally out of the dark ages !
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@agafaster

There was a problem for the DMA and Ethernet but that problem was solved with an hardware fix.. for doing that ask to acube..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

Quote:

nubechecorre wrote:
@agafaster

There was a problem for the DMA and Ethernet but that problem was solved with an hardware fix.. for doing that ask to acube..

I thought so. might just bite the bullet and get an IDE card.

can you remember the symptoms or how drastic the problem was ?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@agafaster

Hmm, Better hope your Internet modem does not connect via USB. It won't work on OS4. Ethernet connection only am afraid.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@agafaster

Most Uk broadband packages ( New customers only) come with Routers these days.

I never had a single problem running my A1 over ethernet even before I installed the sii card.

All that streaming on AwR was done on my unfixed A1 on ethernet.

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@agafaster

I'm still using ethernet on my unfixed A1 to connect to a router for my broadband. Works a treat. Can't do it with a USB modem, though.
Most routers have a built-in firewall, too

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Outcast
I have a similar feeling with you!
That's that I am using ethernet for more than a year (when my machine was repaired not fixed) and never have problems of magnitude really.Ibrowse and Aweb do it the work for me so well!

Sorry but can't help to the problem of first poster.

Maybe ACube Systems have the answer?

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@agafaster

Why not use a sil controller?

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique
Quote:

Antique wrote:
@agafaster

Why not use a sil controller?

cash basically !

@all

Thanks for all the responses - no worries on the USB front, its not actually ADSL, but fibre optic into the house, as its being provided by Virgin Media, alongside Cable Telly, and the phone link.
its just an Ethernet cable into the back of the set-top box, through the walls, etc to my room.

I guess the answer is 'suck it and see' - I dont think a router is provided, unless thats internal to the cable box - the connection charge is for the guy to 'do the plumbing' as it were.

--edit--

just a quick question - of the Brits here, who is your BB provider, and is it ADSL over phone lines, or cable over er cable ?

Edited by agafaster on 2008/1/4 11:49:32
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@agafaster

My ISP is also Virgin (ex-NTL)...
The ethernet cable coming from the set-up box had also an Adapter from Ethernet to USB... But you don't have to use it...

Jerry

Defender of my A1XE-G4 / AOS4 Final Update !
Looking for a new toy ? Then try a GP2X...
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@agafaster

I'm on cable. You don't get a router by default (although VM were trialling wireless routers recently - don't know what the outcome of that was), if you only have one computer to plug in that's not a problem though as the cable modem has an ethernet connection anyway.

If you buy your own router, just make sure you get a cable one and not ADSL

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmiGame and Chris,

They did mention they would supply a 'splitter' - I presume this could be the usb adaptor or ethernet connection to the box - and not the Popular Front of Judea...

heh - I'll probably just buy an ethernet router

any hints on setting up Roadshow for security ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@agafaster

It will be quite funny, the Installation guy will want to install
some bogus software on your " PC ".
And tell you that it won`t work without Windows and their software,

comments such as these :

" You have to use our software or it won`t work "
" What do you mean our software won`t work on your computer, why not ? "

Then if he is a really bright guy, he will say :
"Oh, it must be a Mac then, we have software for one of those"

But most likley reply with:

" An Amiga, what`s one of those, I`m affraid I cannot install the equiptment and will take it back with me "

Just tell the Installation guy, to install it, test it then GO AWAY !

Wol..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Wol

That was funny, it made me larf !

actually, they specifically stated that the guy is only there to route the cable from the cable TV box to where I want the terminal to be - they offered to send just the cable (25m worth) and a 'splitter' to do it meself and waive the 30 quid fee, but since my A1 is upstairs and along a bit (in a cartesian coordinates sense) I thought best get the guy in to discuss and route. I dont think for a minute he'll want to go on the computer !

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@agafaster Quote:
I also got round to booking the Engineer to come and drill holes, and tack cables.

A small correction: You should have said Technician not Engineer. Engineers design & build things, while Technicians just fix & install them. Unfortunately this is a common mistake in England, and it devalues the perceived importance of real engineers

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@agafaster

Welcome to the light.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@agafaster Quote:
I also got round to booking the Engineer to come and drill holes, and tack cables.

A small correction: You should have said Technician not Engineer. Engineers design & build things, while Technicians just fix & install them. Unfortunately this is a common mistake in England, and it devalues the perceived importance of real engineers

you are quite right of course, and I sit corrected.
That was just how the lass on the end of the phone referred to the fellow while I was making the appointment - blame her !
probably just easier if we refer to 'em as 'the chap' - but then someone will point out that it could be a lass...!

@Meega

Ta ! although it isnt in yet.

Update: Virgin provide a Cable modem if their chap comes round - the splitter thing was a confusion - they send one of those if you waive the 30 quid fee. The missus is after a wireless network now - I have permission to buy toys !!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@agafaster

If/When you get a wireless router, please be sure to set it up securely. I have one here that is not connected (we have CAT 5 throughout the house) and I won't turn on the wireless router until I find out how to secure it.

For example, my daughter has just moved back home after two years working as a dev for The Evil Empire in Seattle. When she went out and bought a new laptop the other day, she turned it on (Vista) and it found and logged into one of two wireless networks owned by unknown neighbours. She had downloaded 700 MB of development stuff from MS before she realised that she wasn't using our cable modem/ethernet feed at all, but one of the neighbours' wireless modems!!

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

thanks for that, I've been hearing similar tales in conversations at work !
did the neighbours find out ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

Thats not so bad an issue here in uk because ... (security issues asside)

for those on capped accounts we don't get charged extra if we go over the limit.

The throttle is throttled instead.

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »