Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Cyrus+
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Audio on cyrus
It can be done via RadeonHD (would cost no extra) or via PrismaMegamix or via xena (+minimal xorro card) or via some other pcie or usb device.

some infos about CPUs:

X1000 cpu:PA6T (~8000 MIPS if both cores used)

Cyrus+ options:
P3041 (~14000MIPS if all cores used)
P5020 (~12000MIPS if both cores used)

P5040 (not widely available yet?)
(~28000MIPS if all cores used)

For me Cyrus might end up being too pricey. I would only need one PCIe for GPU (RadeonHD with built in audio)... and I have not find any big use for CPU performance above 8000MIPS ...

IF we had AOS that supports 16GB RAM and multicore... then perhaps. And if AOS would also have memory protection, then surely I would get cyrus bbased system.

Some interesting pdf about PA6T.

"We observed a full 2X improvement over 1-core operation" etc...
I'm sure PA Semi had the world's most talented HW team, too bad Apple had to kill it. (perhaps intel told them to do so)

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@billt

Does the T4240 altivec cpu has the same 1295 BGA socket as the T5040 for an upgrade ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@KimmoK

just for understand and make a simple comparing
if i compare a Cyrus+ P5040 with a Ps4 of much will be the computing difference?
I probably bad understand but the Ps4 is capable of 5500 mflops ...

my peggy2 did 140 mflops
my xe 109 mflops

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tlosm

>just for understand and make a simple comparing

8-o

>if i compare a Cyrus+ P5040 with a Ps4 of much will be the computing difference?

I think P5040 has similar processing capability than xbox360 and most likely higher than PS3. (+the future possibility of GP-GPU processing)
CORRECTION: 5020 2Ghz should perform like xbox360 CPU, 5040 @2.5Ghz should be almost 2x faster.

So... below 1/2 of PS4 CPU performance??? (1/4 ??)
CORRECTION: that was for 5020 version

>I probably bad understand but the Ps4 is capable of 5500 mflops ...
>my peggy2 did 140 mflops
>my xe 109 mflops

I do not have gflops info at hand. Previously I failed to find reliable gflops info.

(I think from synthetic tests (or simulation) T4240 should deliver 192 GFLOPs, for SAM460 3Gflops?, and G4 1Ghz 7Gflops?? but these gflops are not the same as yours I think... )

5040 should deliver a little better gflops/mhz than PPC460 (or G3) per core...

Edited by KimmoK on 2013/12/13 15:57:33
- Kimmo
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
So looks like Cyrus+ could be the machine to get considering how many mips it is delivering?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Although few AmigaOS4 *programs* may be Altivec optimised, I believe the OS *itself* uses Altivec in many different ways (possibly even graphics in certain situations), and so more programs should benefit (but it will depend on whether the OS functions they heavily use are Altivec optimised).

As for whether to buy a Cyrus+ or X1000, I believe the intention is that the Cyrus+ will REPLACE the X1000 (and that it will be of a similar price). So you either buy an X1000 soon, or wait until Cyrus+ becomes available some distant future (I recall Trevor publically saying at least a year or two).

IMHO, if you want & can afford a powerful & expensive AmigaOS4 machine right now, then get the X1000 now, rather than waiting for some (quite possibly delayed) future machine. You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it during the time you would otherwise have been waiting & waiting & waiting.

And given how long it has taken for the X1000 to get driver support for it's hardware, I wonder whether the Cyrus+ will have full driver support upon first release (or if Trevor will delay it's release until the drivers are ready).

Also, I suspect that between the last X1000 being manufactured, and the Cyrus+ being available, there will be a gap where neither is available to buy. At least the X1000 is manufactured in batches, and I doubt they'll want to manufacture a new (and very expensive) batch of X1000, if they don't think they'll be able to sell them all before the Cyrus+ is available. Even the much-cheaper-to-make Sam440 suffered a similar problem, before the Sam460 became available (IIRC).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Exactly. "Buy what's available to you" has proved to be a wise strategy as regards NG Amiga hardware.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@benny

No such luck on same socket. the t4240 is almost 2000 pin bga. i don't know that t208x is, but do not think it is same either.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Thanks for your summary, at the moment I am in no hurry as I already own a Pegasos 2 but I would like to use something a bit more powerful that supports newer versions of linux and more modern graphics cards. I know that the X1000 fits the requirements but I am willing to wait for Cyrus if it is going to be better.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@KimmoK

thanks for the info Kimmok
have a machine 2x cpu powerful compared with a Xbox360 will be a great advance for our community, gaming and 3d application (like blender) will have a great speed up thanks for the faster cpu and hope future implementation of fastest gpu.

About the mflops test i use Flops program on Os4 depot for count it.

Hope the next future will be better for our platform

About mips: Sysmon geve me with my peggy 1266mhz 3800 mips, 2050 on my Sam 460ex 1017 and 2800 on my Xe 933 mhz :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Fairdinkem

IMHO: We need multicore support. Then also I become more interested in investing beyond SAM460.

But as the situation is now (single core, PCIe supported, SATA), SAM460 is the best buy in AmigaLand. (unless cheaper second hand apple HW is taken into account)

- Kimmo
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@KimmoK
Quote:
@Audio on cyrus
It can be done via RadeonHD (would cost no extra) or via PrismaMegamix or via xena (+minimal xorro card) or via some other pcie or usb device.

There is currently no support for Radeon HD card's HDMI audio out.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans
Have amd released the docs for the sound on the gfx cards?

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

Quote:
@Hans
Have amd released the docs for the sound on the gfx cards?

Not really. They've released a document fragment which needs to be read together with the HD audio codec specification. That's for the audio driver part of the system. The graphics driver has to enable the audio output, and I've never seen documentation for that. They did release open-source code for it, though.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Kimmok

Even in an ideal case (gfx driver hooks provided, audio driver written, missing documents found etc) then the sound would only work for end-users who are connected by HDMI, as the DVI and XVGA connections have no audio terminals.

That's all that SOME people would need, but certainly not a solution for everyone.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Since this thread seems to be detailing the differences between X1000 and Cyrus boards, one other thought just occurred to me.

I believe (I am never sure of anything) that Nemo is the only NG Amiga that uses CFE instead of UBOOT.

Not that big of a difference, but CFE does make choosing from multiple Workbench and Linux partitions really easy. I have not had much experience with multibooting my micro with UBOOT.

I also want to make clear, it's not my intent to claim either board is better than the other, just pointing out the differences as far as we can tell.

I am truly impressed with the current state of the market.

I bought one of the last micro-AOnes, and that was followed by a fairly long dry spell, when it was hard to tell if there would ever be ANY new NG hardware coming. Today we are absolutely spoiled.

The current offerings from ACube and A-EON define a wide range of price/performance choices. Now we may even see more choices from their combined effort.

Not bad at all, in my opinion.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LyleHaze

"Nemo is the only NG Amiga that uses CFE instead of UBOOT"

So Cyrus+ uses UBOOT ?
Cyrus+ at least would seem to have SD card slot (unless I'm mistaken), I thought it is used for boot bios, is it?

(sidestepping: I would love a system where kickstart is loaded from flash before HDD has spun up, we might get 2x faster cold bootings? Anyone studying that kind of solution?

ashamed: annoying how fast win7 boots nowdays @work, none of my Amigas can beat it any more ... together with memory protection windows is almost bareable ... insane if it took "only" three decades for M$ to catch us ...)

Almost related:
I'm happy that we start using PPC SoC from manufacturer that still develops PPC, IMHO there now will be 1% chance that someone at freescale/power.org gets interested in us and gives more support. :-/

- Kimmo
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Lyle
But indeed, if CF slot will be used for boot, then boot speed can be faster in compare with nemo (imho)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

"But indeed, if CF slot will be used for boot, then boot speed can be faster in compare with nemo (imho)"

The CF slot on Nemo IS used for boot. it holds amigaboot.of, which can also be loaded from the first partition of the HD.

The Cyrus shown at AmiWest had a SD slot, but it's exact purpose has not yet been confirmed.

As with most of the differences discussed, the two appear very close, but final details are not yet available.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
So, by quite a wide margin, the 5040 is the fastest?

Well, I plan to get a Cyrus, only if I can afford that one.

You know, CPU advancement has slowed down quite a bit.

http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/Intel/Core_i7-2600.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_second

In the first link, you can see that the i7 4770K is 8.7%, 14.6% and 15.2% faster than the i7 2600 at 3.4 GHz. BIG YAWN! And win-dross 7 is SUCH the useless junk, that at 3.4 GHz it does NOT impress me ONE BIT, thus a 15% increase in speed equates to ZERO. In the case of win-dross, wake me up when CPUs are running at 30 (THIRTY) GigaHertz, and then MAYBE we could talk turkey. (Even the 12 GB RAM disk that I use on the windross 7 is a JOKE!)

The 5040 and RAM over 2 GB (I want 16, minimum) is close enough to an i7 2600 because when you combine the sleek and FUN TO USE AOS 4.2 ( .2,<-- hehe) it will FINALLY be "on-par" I would say, for even up to 3 years from now!!!!

Anyhow, bottom line is, I think I will have enough for the Cyrus 5040 in November on of this year, that being 2014.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »