I see it positive when there would be more cooperation between the camps than before. Finally potentially all could benefit of it and no longer would everyone recreate every wheel
In addition to the kernel project, I'm also hugely excited about the new drivers, especially the graphics drivers. Hopefully more details will be released soon on a release timeline, price, functionality, etc. And the NVMe driver looks pretty sweet, too!
It really is amazing what people have accomplished over the past few months. Hopefully other corners of the AmigaOS space that have been silent on progress will enlighten us soon with their plans.
-- eliyahu
"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
@ all congrats to everyone involved, as an end user announcements like this give me a lot of hope for future of our beloved systems. truly much gratitude and respect for all your hard work.
All machines should be included. But at moment I have only an X5000/040 (that should cover also 020), a Sam460 and a Tabor. I think I can have also my 440 back and a borrowed X1000. For the Pegasos2 and A1 I don't know how to implement and test it
For the Pegasos2 and A1 I don't know how to implement and test it
QEmu. Not enough to make it work on real hardware as it doesn't emulate everything and you'll need beta testers with real hardware, but should be enough for a start.
@Afxgroup To add to what Joerg says: i have working real pegasos2 too, even with pci2pcie bridge, and you know how i can beta-test things in time, so that no problems.
but Andrea Palmaté, of AmigaLabs fame, has developed an ExecSG interface-compatible kernel
Complete kernel incl. expansion.library with PCI(e) and Zorro II/III support, utility.library (don't use any AROS code for that!), performance monitor resource, etc., or "just" exec.library?
1) expansion.library with PCI(e) - NO CLASSIC SUPPORT and honestly I don't know if it will be planned 2) custom utility.library tested of course with all progeams
Performance monitor is not supported at moment but i plan to implement it in all machines when possible Also ExtMem is in progress now and I'm will be implement it also in clib4 where possible
Meanwhile, over in IRC, we're getting more tidbits of information, and it just keeps getting better. For a start Petunia is to be replaced with Musashi as the 68K emulation layer with the new multi-core kernel. And that an AmigaOS build of PowerFox is coming as well!
This is what happens when motivated, creative people ignore naysayers, politics, lawsuits, and just plow ahead. Superb!!
-- eliyahu
"Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. When the laws do not operate, there is no reality. All of this is unreal."
eliyahu wrote:@thread For a start Petunia is to be replaced with Musashi as the 68K emulation layer with the new multi-core kernel.
The author of Petunia has later released the same JIT compiler (even with some improvements) under open source licence in UAE (in EUAEPPCJIT branch) so you can just take it from there and use it for the open source reimplementation of Petunia in AOS4. It should be better than Musashi and actually the same or very close to what it wants to replace. You just need to find how to interface it to the kernel.