Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
44 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 43

Georg, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Where is AmigaOS 4.1 update 3?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
My bet is USB2 and thumbnail picture icons in Workbench. The latter was shown in screengrabs almost a year ago in AmiWest.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kicko

Quote:

Then there is wait for the arteffect native

It will never happen. Stefan Robl (who was to make the PPC version) apparently lost interest and left.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

trixie wrote:
Quote:

It will never happen. Stefan Robl (who was to make the PPC version) apparently lost interest and left.

He had a working version showing before he left. Shame he didn't hand that over to somebody else to finish off.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Trixie

He lost interest in ArtEffect or in AmigaOS4 ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Isn't he the Amidock author?

A1XE G4 800mhz,512mb,Radeon9200,SonyDRU-510A and 800a, Esi Juli@,Sil680,WiFi.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:
Quote:

that's a real shame. i would have paid a good amount of money for an updated arteffect.

-- eliyahu

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Curty

Yes he is, i really hope he doesn't lost interest in AmigaOS for real, Stefan Robl is an excellent programmer

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Last time i heard it was still developed. who knows really

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Trixie:

AFAIK Alinea Computer aquired the source code and the distribution rights for ArtEffect (among other products of Haage&Partner). Stefan Robl did a huge work to make it run at on PPC at least (and make it compilable with a non-Storm-gcc), but there is far more work required to make it usable actually.

Last time I heard of it, Alinea Computer searched for some coder to make it work without the internal VMEM facility, which is overall messy and broken (I saw the source code of the 68k version. Very ugly...).

It may take a long time until ArtEffect is released as OS4.x native version, but I wouldnt say that this would never happen.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@whose

Quote:

Last time I heard of it, Alinea Computer searched for some coder to make it work without the internal VMEM facility, which is overall messy and broken (I saw the source code of the 68k version. Very ugly...).

It may take a long time until ArtEffect is released as OS4.x native version, but I wouldnt say that this would never happen.

Hope dies last they say but let's be realistic. All coders for OS4 hang around here, OS4coding.net, or the Hyperion forums; now have you ever seen Alinea advertise looking for a programmer there? Go figure...

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
If we have to pay for AmigaOS4.2 the next major release and we don't have USB2 in update 3, AmigaOS4.2 will have to be a whole heap special with bells and whistles, features and whole lot of eye candy with some cool software and Timberwolf etc etc etc for me to part with more money.

What i'm afraid of is that i'm a completely new os4 customer and I want to buy os4 for my peg2 when update3 comes out. However, does this mean I will have to purchase os4 again when "4.2" comes out?? i really cant pay $300 in a 6month period for os4 :(

I've been waiting for things to mature, and it looks like they have and have been dying to run os4 on my peg2 for some years now. I would really appreciate an official word on this from Hyperion please..

thx

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@magnetic

Yes, you will have to pay for 4.2 when that comes out. No idea when though! If you can't afford so much money i sugest you wait for 4.2. If you can afford it buy 4.1 now and support hyperion with your money and buy 4.2 when it comes.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@magnetic

Be aware of the fact that AmigaOS uses a different version.revision scheme than MorphOS! The *big* steps in AmigaOS are mostly done by bumping the *revision*. There is real huge step from OS4.0 to OS4.1. I would compare it to the MorphOS-1.x- to MorphOS-2.x-"Update". (I did all the steps from MorphOS 2.1 to 2.7 as well - and it felt mostly like "MorphOS 2.0 Update 1" up to "Update 7" corresponding to an AmigaOS-like version system... )

I suppose the next step from AmigaOS4.1 to AmigaOS4.2 will be
- another rather substantial step regarding the OS and
- given the last years we will see some time for OS4.2 to develop.

Nevertheless we are already at Update 3 for OS4.1 - so you might be true with your "6 months". But I wouldn't bet on this - I would assume more a year or so...
Of course you can wait and wait and wait and - oops - new OS version! Damn!

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Trixie:

No, I have never seen them advertising for help on ArtEffect code. Neither did I for any project they searched help for (and they did this also for projects that actually were released). Go figure...

You should take into account that they aquired certain rights from H&P, but I dont believe in these rights being free from any restrictions regarding 3rd party developers. Maybe thats the reason why they never advertised for help on ex-H&P-projects (like StormC and others).

Just let them work (or not work), we will see, if and when "AE OS4 native" will hit the market. Actually, there is enough replacement of similar quality available, so that we dont need AE that badly. Its a "nice to have", but not a must.

Maybe Update 3 (or 4.2) gives more drive to the market, so that theres more need for something like "AE OS4 native" and Alinea gives more strength to this project.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:
Just let them work (or not work), we will see, if and when "AE OS4 native" will hit the market. Actually, there is enough replacement of similar quality available, so that we dont need AE thatbadly. Its a "nice to have", but not a must.

True, but there are no OS4 *native* graphics apps that I am aware of, only ones that work on OS4 through the 68k emulation.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH:

You missed "gimp" Ok, depending on personal view this one isnt native, too, but its there and it works.

Youre right in saying that we should get some more native applications, but this is often a question of time and even more money.

I would really like to do some applications in the range of AE, Wordworth, Turbocalc, Cinema, DynaCADD etc. etc. But for me, as the only coder of Insane-Software, this is too much work, and atm. it would be without any insurance that it will pay even our daily needs (or cure the not-Amiga-related troubles I experienced since Amijeweled release back in 2007).

We have to wait, as usual

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@magnetic
As others have said, AmigaOS4.2 is likely to be a BIG leap from AmigaOS4.1, as that is how Hyperion does the version numbers.

I'd say go for OS4.1 if (a) it does enough of what you need, and (b) at the time you can can afford it OS4.2 is not expect for release shortly. IMHO that applies to pretty much any major computer expense, be it a new computer system (e.g. Sam440 vs Sam460 or Sam460 vs A1-X1000) or OS or expensive software or whatever. (And anyway, in OS4.2's case you don't have to upgrade as soon as it is released, if you can't afford it.)

(a) It sounds like it does meet your needs!
(b) From what Hyperion say, "AmigaOS 4.2 ... is currently planned for release along with the powerful AmigaOne X1000". The release of the X1000 is a bit unclear, but A-Eon seem to be making some progress as "full production of boards destined for the AmigaOne X1000 betatest team is now underway".

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)