Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

Maijestro, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Thunderbird possible after Timberwolf/Firefox?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I remember recently someone suggesting Thunderbird might be possible after Firefox was ported... is this likely? Does Thunderbird use much of the same code as Firefox?

At the time I questioned why we'd need Thunderbird when we have SimpleMail (and YAM). While I use POP3, I've since come to realise that I *need* a full-blown IMAP implementation, because having two separate email systems (SimpleMail on Amiga & GMail on phone+PC) for the same email address is getting too much to handle (I have to file/organise the same email twice!). IMAP would allow a single unified email system.

While SimpleMail's IMAP implementation comes very close to doing what I need, it's not quite there, and I don't know if it ever will be. Thunderbird has a very nice (and well tested) IMAP implementation, so I'd love it if we did get Thunderbird ported. If we don't get it, then I can see a time coming when I'll have to stop reading emails on my Amiga

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Thunderbird possible after Timberwolf/Firefox?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Why not use gmail on your amiga aswell????

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Have you tried sylpheed for amicygnix?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
Why not use gmail on your amiga aswell????

1. Not quite fast enough to be my primary email system.
2. It doesn't store emails on my harddisk (incase GMail emails get deleted/destroyed/lost). If I didn't need this then I could already use SimpleMail's IMAP (which only stores the headers on my harddisk).

Quote:
Have you tried sylpheed for amicygnix?

No!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I would imagine so, after all isn't that the point of TimberWolf? for 'the technology' behind it & not just for the browser

Edited by 328gts on 2011/5/10 0:48:16
mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
While SimpleMail's IMAP implementation comes very close to doing what I need, it's not quite there, and I don't know if it ever will be.

While I certainly hope that Thunderbird will be ported, I suggest that you send an email to the SimpleMail maintainers about what the shortcomings are in their IMAP implementation.

The biggest shortcoming in SimpleMail and YAM for me is the lack of complete modern HTML support. These days HTML emails are commonplace, and so not having HTML support is a problem. Yes, SimpleMail has SimpleHTML, but:
- SimpleHTML is read-only (i.e., no writing of HTML emails)
- SimpleHTML is very dated (e.g., no CSS)

I currently use Thunderbird on my PC, so a port would deliver everything that I need.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans

+1

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hans Quote:
While I certainly hope that Thunderbird will be ported, I suggest that you send an email to the SimpleMail maintainers about what the shortcomings are in their IMAP implementation.

I've already added a feature request on the SourceForge site, since this is their preferred way. But I may also send an email at some point.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

The biggest shortcoming in SimpleMail and YAM for me is the lack of complete modern HTML support. These days HTML emails are commonplace, and so not having HTML support is a problem. Yes, SimpleMail has SimpleHTML, but:
- SimpleHTML is read-only (i.e., no writing of HTML emails)
- SimpleHTML is very dated (e.g., no CSS)

Regarding YAM, for me it's the opposite, I prefer it to other mailers for being text-mails oriented, and especially for its good on the fly HTML-to-text conversion. As far as I have seen, email clients which support both HTML and text messages have usually poor support for the latter. I remember I needed quite some time to configure Thunderbird to display all the text to one specific font and size, and still occasionally some text would have been displayed differently.

Varthall

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
reminds me of the usual discussions about programming IDEs a while back:

User n.1: we need something like visual studio!

User n.2: No! Visual studio is for lamers! The real pro use a crude text editor!

Give us Thunderbird I say, then anyone who doesn't like it, is free to use anything they like ;)

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@DAX
Better if for begining firefox port will be done, and will be stable :) To early to worring about anything else than normal FF port (imho).

But related to topic, i am personally trying to use YAM and SimpleMail, both works wrong with russian cp1251, save options sometime not works, sometime both crashes, so for me the best way in end : owb + web-access to my mail box.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

.. so why you didn't report such issues on bugtracker ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79
Because i alredy filled Thore by mui-related stuff :) And for making normal bug-reports need testing-time, etc.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
YAM is not developed by me alone, although I did most of the recent stuff. There are other developers who might have fixed such bugs in the meantime. And even if bugs don't get fixed immediately the bug tracker will not forget about them (in contrast to you or any other human).

So please, use YAM's bug tracker. Preferrably non-anonymous to let us ask further questions and to let you be notified about the progress.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
FWIW, SimpleMail's bug tracker is here. (Ignore the spam at the top, which has been "closed" but not deleted for some reason.)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@DAX Quote:
reminds me of the usual discussions about programming IDEs a while back:

User n.1: we need something like visual studio!

User n.2: No! Visual studio is for lamers! The real pro use a crude text editor!

3: Use a programming language that doesn't need an IDE to make it half-usable!

Go to top

Register To Post