Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

gnash plugin on the Sam460ex ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
anyone tried it yet? if so, is it useable?

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Re: gnash plugin on the Sam460ex ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Is there a plugin?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Gnash isn't a plugin, it's a standalone program. Tried with a few SWF files and played ok though.

To Be A True Adventurer, You Ought To Play Real Text Adventures
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yes is there but not pubblic or tested ...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Wasn't this because it was to slow and the plugin api for owb was not added or something?

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Samo79

I wrote an article about Gnash (+ my game choice) and Sam440 800Mhz: here
(google translation)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Antique

Yep more or less the reason is that i think, in Gnash's ML i've read that plugin was succefully compiled (based on Gnash 0.8.9 WIP) but actually there are no browser for test it and also main bug about CPU 100% still ...

@Radov

Thanks, seems quite interesting to read !

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Btw, i see that 10 days ago gnash 0.8.9 was released. And i read that there:
Quote:

Gnash is used as a plugin, starting with Firefox 4.0 (GTK GUI).

* NPAPI plugin: fix relative urls resolution in presence of <base> tag and "base" parameter; improved robustness and compatibility with chromium browser. Avoid blocking the parent process.

And among with all the other changes since our last version, i think it should be more or less "fine" version already. Maybe Afxgroup can merge his code with latest source ..

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Antique wrote:
Wasn't this because it was to slow and the plugin api for owb was not added or something?

IIRC, it was more than that. Gnash's code was not reentrant/thread-safe, which means that every new instance needs to be run in a separate Unix style process. This was a problem for being used as a plugin. As of a few days ago, this has been fixed. However, there's still the problems that you mentioned.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e

The real problem is that Andrea is actually busy with personal things and to be honest i don't know when he can look at it

But, (good news) all source still there (in Gnash repository), maybe time permitted you can try to compile it, of course first we need a browser with NPAPI support (MUI OWB for instance)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Just tried it. It works.
I tried it with a big .swf and it's pretty slow of course, as Flash is slow on a big PC box too
Anyway I think a gnash plugin will be wonderful inside a browser. It will allow to browse (bad) sites that use Flash with no problem at all.

Edited by Elwood on 2011/3/31 20:34:22
Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ Elwood

thanks for testing and great to hear..looks like TimberWolf & gnash on the X1000 might be a good combo

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Well the Sam460 will do too.
I tried a big Flash file and the Flash used on websites are much smaller so I believe they will run at full speed.
We need the browser now

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Elwood wrote:
Well the Sam460 will do too.
I tried a big Flash file and the Flash used on websites are much smaller so I believe they will run at full speed.
We need the browser now
I still don't understand the apparent reluctance of making a Gnash NPAPI plugin for IBrowse 2.4 - we've had this browser for years. All the stuff about GPL doesn't make a lot of sense to me either - if that argument is to be believed, OS4 must be made GPL because what's to stop people installing free libraries, datatypes, etc, that contain GPL'd code?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Actually i have zero time to develop something for Amiga since i've changed my work.. and my days are really too busy to understand something when i go back at home..

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@afxgroup
if by the time Timberwolf is released as a (quite) stable beta, you'll still have no time at all, I would suggest to hand the job to others (by then I mean).
Seems quite an important development IMHO specially considering that GNASH is progressing on Linux (ie shows promise)...

My 2c

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Gnash can be very usefull also for MUI-OWB, when completed of course ...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Futaura

I could actually port my swfdec plugin for Ibrowse 2.4, especially since I took inspiration from IBrowse flash plugin sources(in its morphos version, from Piru).

Though I changed some browser methods (redrawing) and got rid of unnecessary things for me, but that's not a big deal anyway.

The only trouble is that the plugin library base has to be relative, since like most unix stuff, swfdec (or rather the underlying libraries like cairo, glib and so on) rely on many globals.

And while i know how to do that with MorphOS, i have no clue how to deal with several openers and relative globals on OS3.x or OS4.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Fab

I'm not sure if it is relevant or not as far as Gnash goes, but although NPAPI plugins for IBrowse revolve around a normal AmigaOS shared library implementation, it is pretty much guaranteed that the library will only be opened once and calls to the plugin will come via a single context/task. So, you don't have to worry too much about fully re-entrant code as you normally would have to with a shared library. Of course, if the flash code relies on globals then this could be problematic if it is not able to work with multiple streams concurrently.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Anyway, Gnash is truly progressing at good pace, they are releasing major updates every 6 months now, people can use 0.8.9 with FireFox 4.0 (release notes of latest version below)

http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=6759

so I think it would be great if someone with time could make a commitment in this regard, in order for us to use it too... (probably ver. 0.9.0 by the time TW comes out).

SamFlex Complete System + AmigaOS4.1 Update 4
Amiga 2000 GVP GForce-040 Picasso II AmigaOS3.9 BB2
Amiga CD-32
Go to top

Register To Post