Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 128

Hypex, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
RunInUAE released - easily run old Amiga games on OS4!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I am very pleased to announce that RunInUAE has finally been released.

RunInUAE is designed to make it incredibly easy to run old Amiga games on Amiga OS4, and it comes with an easy installer, so that you can:

* Run almost any ADF or HD installed game or program in E-UAE, by simply dragging & dropping it onto RunInUAE's icon in AmiDock!

* Run WHDLoad & JOTD JST installed games directly, by just double-clicking on them!

* Run ADF games by double-clicking them. (Needs a little bit of manual set-up.)

* The installer can set-up E-UAE with full-speed Sam-optimised settings. But it can also use your existing E-UAE settings if you want.

* The installer will copy the necessary Kickstart ROMs off an Amiga Forever CD, if you don't already have them installed.

* You do not need to set-up any assignments, nor create or edit any cryptic scripts or config files, for it to work! (Unlike alternative 'solutions'.) However, it is fairly easy to customise it, if you really need to.

You can download it here:
http://cshandley.co.uk/runinuae/RunInUAE_r1.lha

Notes:
* I forgot to mention in the README what keys are used for the joystick. They are the arrow keys for movement + the Right Alt key for fire.

* On a 667MHz Sam, you will get best results by using ADFs, since this uses an emulated A500. Games run using WHDLoad/etc will have the overhead of emulating an AGA Amiga, and this can cause a subtle jerkiness for some games. Adding gfx_framerate=2 to .uaerc_RunInUAE can help some games (and make others worse).

Edited by ChrisH on 2009/12/24 13:59:29
Edited by ChrisH on 2009/12/24 17:18:09
Edited by ChrisH on 2009/12/24 19:17:02
Edited by ChrisH on 2009/12/24 19:19:06
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: RunInUAE released - easily run old Amiga games on OS4!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

WOW ! sounds great..can't wait to try it as I have had no luck with the new GUI or the Sam configured E-UAE so far

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

I already use GLUAE, does it go in conflict with GLUAE ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks!!!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Already tryed : works fine.

Just our UAE itself one big piece of crap :(

Can anyone post the config, where all the games will be in full-screen mode (And will be on all the screen, not per vertical too much, or per horisontal). Just full screen without those big black areas around.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @nubechecorre

GLUAE
Glad you brought that up! >rolling sleeves up<
GLUAE worked fine in OS4, but since OS4.1 things don't work the same. I can't start EUAE from a shell without a GR. I click a GLUAE icon, I get a GR. Now the hard part- those cryptic scripts ! I did fresh installs and it changed nothing. Is this program better glue? OK, I'll check it out!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nubechecorre
I don't use GLUAE, but I don't see how it could conflict.

@kas1e Quote:
Can anyone post the config, where all the games will be in full-screen mode

RunInUAE *comes* with such a config

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH
Great new :)
I Will try it soonly (when I'll be back at home) :)

Regards,
Freddix / AmiDARK

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

For me with your config it looks like that:

Resized Image

And all the size which i tryes (640x480, or anything else), with or without resize, with or without gfx_centered options, always give me bad result. In most case uncentered (like these options inside config just does not works). I just want to see picture on full screen, without that black areas. Did you have your screens without that black areas, and in _real fullscreen_ ?

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
When installing RunInUAE, if it asks about replacing the ".uaerc" config file with it's own Sam-optimised one, make sure to say YES! This will make E-UAE use a 320x256 screenmode.

Second, make sure to follow the installation instructions in the README_FIRST. In particular, make sure to add a 320x256 screenmode to your Monitor tooltype.

If that does not work, then I need more info, like what monitor you have, and especially what it's native screen size is, what version of E-UAE, what Amiga you are using, what screen connector you are using (VGA or DVI?), what game(s) you have tried, whether you have tried just booting into Workbench (run RunInUAE on it's own), etc.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Snuffy

GLUAE runs fine here.. at the beginning it didn' t start even here on aos 4.1 that's why in deficons there wasn't adf typedef.. check it

@Chris

i was impressed by your work !! congratulations ^_^

Just one thing.. i do not understand a thing.. when you speak about whdload, you say that a user can runs a game dragging the icon over runinuae, but the game must be installed ( using whdload ) under amiga os 4.0/4.1 or under emulated amiga os 3.1 ??

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
If you still have problems, please post a copy of your Monitor's tooltypes. Which is the box where you are told to add 320x256@60 .

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nubechecorre Quote:
the game must be installed ( using whdload ) under amiga os 4.0/4.1 or under emulated amiga os 3.1 ??

Ah, sorry, I forgot to make that clear in the manual, since I assumed the reader knows about how WHDLoad works.....

WHDLoad games must have been installed on a real Classic Amiga, and then copied over to your OS4 machine. I have a load of WHDLoad games I installed from the late 1990s to early 2000s, which are now sitting on my Sam440's HD.

IIRC, You can find some *legally* downloadable WHDLoad installed games, so a Classic Amiga is not required in all situations.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

You was right about Tooltype ! Uhm .. For me that looks unlogical, you have working screenmode in system (320x256x8), but not have it in tooltype ! (why the hell, why it's not writes here automatically if system need it).

So, for now have normal full screen in 320x256 ! Will try 640x512 later too :)
I also setup FDD speed to 800, so for now it's almost as from HDD.

For now i played in ruff&thumble with your config, but for example Alladin AGA, ChaosEngine2 - crashes with red windowses after the cractros. Did you have maybe some configs for that games ? Will try more games now with your config and will write there which works and how speed is (tested all on uae 0.8.28 on peg2/1ghz).

- Ruff&Thumble - works nice with music and alt and full speed, but if you have running OWB in backgorund that slowing down UAE a lot.

ps. Btw, When i drag&drop disk1 of some game on the Amidock's runinuae icon, then after loading, game ask me for the Disk2. What to do ? I trying put disk 2 again on it, but have crashes.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Thanks for the infos

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

GLUAE worked fine in OS4, but since OS4.1 things don't work the same. I can't start EUAE from a shell without a GR. I click a GLUAE icon, I get a GR. !

I had that problem, not sure which update but I remember it well.

E_UAE needs a large stack, which is set when running from Workbench but not whe run from a script.

What I found out wa that during the update, the Process Stack Size in DOS Prefs, had been reduced back to its default value which was not enough for E-UAE to run. Increase this value in the DOS Prefs and you should get GL-UAE to work again.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e Quote:
I also setup FDD speed to 800, so for now it's almost as from HDD.

Beware that this can cause some (many?) games to not load. So while testing compatibility, I recommend keeping it at 100. Once you know which games works, try increasing the speed, and see if they still work.

Quote:
Alladin AGA, ChaosEngine2 - crashes with red windowses after the cractros.

The .uaerc file is configured for speed not compatibilty, so you might find it causes problems with a few games (I didn't notice any problems). Try setting cpu_compatible=true, to see if that helps, but beware it will slow E-UAE down.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

I get a guru right away??..the installation went smooth with no errors.

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

But what about that "insert disk2/3/4" stuff ? Possible add to runinuae somehow understanding that i put then next disk, not the first one ?

I mean when you run the game by drag&drop on icon, and game ask disk2 - then drag&drop and easy-for-use stops here ?:)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Been looking forward to this.
Many thanks Chris.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »