Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

considering Pagestream
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I am considering buying Pagestream for my OS4.1 AmigaONE.

I have been looking at Grasshoppers website and I have a few questions that I couldn't find answered.

If I buy Pagestream 5.0 for OS4 do I get 4.1 as well?

How well does 5.0 run on OS4.1?

Is it still being actively developed for OS4.1?

Hope you can help!

Morten

MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Re: considering Pagestream
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Skov

Quote:

If you buy PgS 5 for OS4, you also get an older release for this system (PgS 4.1.8.3). You should also be able to download PgS for 68K: version 4.1.5.6, and the non-functional 5.0.4.46 alpha. At least this was the case when I bought version 5 for OS4 earlier this year.

Quote:

It's nothing to write home about. The current OS4 version, 5.0.3.3, is more than three years old, and is nowhere near the current Windows version. You'd probably be better off using PgS 4.1.5.6 for 68K, which runs fine emulated on OS4.

Quote:

Yes, both Amiga versions (PPC and 68K) should now be in focus, at least that's what we were told. But the development takes ages because of certain life circumstances the programmer got into.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Skov

PS is perferctly usable under OS4.1. Of course there are problems but it is usable enough to create a paper magazine.
It is used by Murakami to build AmigaPower. Click on the 2 links at the top of the page. These are 2 pages of the magazine.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Elwood

nice site but I think it's time you update the Amiga 'history' section

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Skov

Quote:

Skov wrote:
I am considering buying Pagestream for my OS4.1 AmigaONE.

it's always a good idea to support amiga software!
pagestream itself is a great piece of software - but...Quote:

I have been looking at Grasshoppers website

you mean www.pagestream.org?
Quote:
and I have a few questions that I couldn't find answered.

afaik you also get the (working) 68k version. but it is *some* time ago i bought mine... not sure about the current condition. ask deronQuote:

... the current alpha(!) version for os4 is an alpha. it runs but has not all features implemented and also has its flaws.
Quote:

it is. but very slowly. this is because only one person (deron) working on it. and mainly on the other platforms.
Quote:

Hope you can help!

i run the older alpha (5.0.3.3 - 06/19/06) which actually *is* quite old but runs relatively well. the latest alpha (5.0.4.46 - 05/01/09) has huge problems and does not run at all.

please visit the pagestream mailinglist and ask deron directly about the current state and if/when an updated version will be released.
(at groups.yahoo.com - PageStreamAmigaBeta or PageStreamSupport)

all in all i *love* pagestream but would like to see more updates!

regards

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

Quote:

it's always a good idea to support amiga software!
pagestream itself is a great piece of software - but...

Yeah, I agree, but when it's not a bounty I really like the product to work, but I buy it.

It seems like I will be able to use Pagestream on my Amiga, so it'll go on the list!

Thank you all for your fast replys!

MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

...it's always a good idea to support amiga software!
I don't believe that! It's old Amiga software that "promises' a new version at a later date. Sorry, can't do business based on this philosophy. I read enough 'Dilbert' to know that!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

Snuffy wrote:
@MichaelMerkel

...it's always a good idea to support amiga software!
I don't believe that! It's old Amiga software that "promises' a new version at a later date. Sorry, can't do business based on this philosophy. I read enough 'Dilbert' to know that!

You are right. When buying PageStream for Amiga, you are currently buying an old version. But this is not so uncommon, see DiscreetFX's Aladdin 5 sales: similar thing (old version sold, new one promised in the future). The problem with PageStream is that no release dates are ever announced and even small fixes can take ages. Some people might say this has been going on for too long.

On the other hand, NOT supporting Amiga software does not improve the situation, either. So you choose (it's your money anyway): pay for the software and you may get a new version in the future; don't pay and the chances are high the development will stop.

FYI, I was crazy enough to support the developer and buy:
- PgS 4 for OS4 (also got 68K version as a freebie)
- upgrade to PgS 5 for OS4
- crossgrade to PgS 5 for Windows

I could (and should!) have received more bang for the buck, but the PgS 4 68K and PgS 5 Windows do the job fine so I don't complain. I've made much worse investments in the past

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Skov

Just a bit of a heads-up from the PageStream mailinglist (posted yesterday night by the author):

"I have been lax in putting out some new updates, only because of ongoing work on the Amiga. I'm trying to get all the platforms up to par by the end of December, and that time is coming up on me fast!"

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
So, to come to some kind of conclusion:

Which version of Pagestream should I use to work more or less productive on a OS4.1 SAM?

- 4.x 68k (= 4.1.5.6)
- 4.x PPC (= 4.1.8.3 beta)
- 5.x 68k (= 5.0.3.3 beta)
- 5.x PPC (= 5.0.3.3 beta)

Can someone give a hint???

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi guys,

I'm a bad, bad, bad, Amigan.

I'm using AOS4.0 Pre-Release 4.

I haven't bought AOS4.1 yet, and it has nothing to do with the court case not having been resolved until just recently (JUST KNEW they'd win, or effectively win, considering it was a settlement), it's just that I haven't been able to raise the money.

I keep talking about buying a NatAmi and the M.A.P., but that's because I'm putting off filing my tax returns and there's a bit there that can mostly cover it, plus borrowing a bit.

I've bought Aladdin 4D the PPC version almost a year ago.

Also Mindspace, 2 copies, even though I have one AmigaOne. 2nd, call a donation.

Have also bought Malibu and HollyWood 3. The most expensive one.

And have donated to Jahc for WookieChat as well.

I have never owned PageStream and have bought PageStream Profesional 5.0 PPC for my AmigaOne. I paid for it about 2 years ago, and if it takes another 2 years, I'll wait for it. Not concerned.

I would really like it if DiscreetFX would buy SuperBase. Version 5 was a while back (2+ years ago) being worked on by EvilRich, he mentioned it on AW.N. I think Mr. Hardware owns it. That I would buy for certain. I watched ART on Sunday and asked, and DiscreetFX said "I want to see the source code first". Good call.

Anyhow, I hope you buy it.

I'm doing as much as I'm able to, to support Amiga PPC generation. Not nearly enough, but I'm working on some projects that are so big, that if even ONE should succeed, Amiga will benefit beyond what anyone here thinks is remotely possible.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cha05e90

Quote:

Which version of Pagestream should I use to work more or less productive on a OS4.1 SAM?

PgS 4.1.5.6 for 68K, with JIT disabled in the Compatibility prefs program.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Quote:

trixie wrote:
@cha05e90

Quote:

yes. exactly my "fallback" version if the ppc version is not working as expected. but i don't have it listed as jit disabled? why should i?

i hope deron can deliver a much better working version end of the year. nice to see that he want's to keep all version at the same level.

thanks and regards
michael

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

Quote:

MichaelMerkel wrote:
@trixie

Quote:

trixie wrote:

yes. exactly my "fallback" version if the ppc version is not working as expected. but i don't have it listed as jit disabled? why should i?

Yes, for me, also only PgS 4.1.5.6 for 68K works on my SAM440ep. The PPC versions or PgS5 are in no way usable for me. However, I never regret that I bought PgS5, because it's still being developed and I think sooner or later we'll finally see a non-alpha version of PgS5. (EDIT: oh, and by the way, I also got PgS 4.1.5.6 for 68k for free as I bought PgS5 for PPC, if I remember correctly)

Meanwhile, i can't complain anyway. PgS 4.1.5.6 for 68k works like a charm and is very fast (much faster than on my former A4000 060/PPC 233/50 MHz).

JIT doesn't need to be disabled. PgS4 works extremely fine with JIT enabled.

nexus

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MichaelMerkel & nexus

You are both right, PgS 4.1.5.6 runs fine with JIT enabled. I was mistaken.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Aaaaaaalright then.

I installed PGS 4.1.5.6 (68k) on my SAM. The installation were done manually, 'cos the installer script searches for bullet outline stuff that isn't present on OS4.1. No problem here.

Doing some initial setup work I found it quite annoying that - despite the screen font is set to Deja Vu something - most dialogs are still with the famous topaz.8 font. Is there anything I can do about this? Or is there a hidden option?

Next one is PageLiner: This always shows a grim when quitted. With or without JIT - lost software then?

@MichaelMerkel

BTW: The buttons are not very stylish (and very tiny) here in 4.1.5.6 - are there alternatives?

EDIT: BTW

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@cha05e90

It's an old piece software so yes, the user interface is topaz-ish and no, it can't be changed. As far as I understand, the UI stuff was pretty much hardcoded back then, that's why Deron went with MUI in the subsequent Amiga versions.

I have PgS 5.0.3.3 for OS4 installed here, it sort of works so you can give it a try and have a look (if you've bought PgS for AmigaPPC, it should be in your downloads section).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixie

Thanks for your remarks - I'm still in the process of configuring my PGS4 enviroment. After that I'll give the PPC-Version - which is already residing in my download folder - a try.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Skov

Pagestream is an awesome application! It's a recommended buy.

Go to top

Register To Post