Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Colour Laser Printers that work with OS4.1
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi Guys and Gals,

I?m looking for recommendations of which Colour Laser Printers (Networked) are known to work with Amiga OS4.1.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Trev Daley.

AmigaOneXE G4/800Mhz * 512Mb Ram * Radeon 9200SE * AOS4.1.1
Go to top
Re: Colour Laser Printers that work with OS4.1
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tldaley

I haven't tried any colour laser printers with the Amiga personally, but look for printers that understand postscript. Most postscript printers should work with the Amiga Postscrpit printer drivers, whereas the other printer drivers are mostly for old printers that are no longer available.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Hans wrote:
@tldaley

I haven't tried any colour laser printers with the Amiga personally, but look for printers that understand postscript. Most postscript printers should work with the Amiga Postscrpit printer drivers, whereas the other printer drivers are mostly for old printers that are no longer available.

Hans

@Hans

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the reply, yeah I got that much from the forums. The problem is that I haven?t found one manufacturer?s website that states if the printer is able to do postscript.

I was hoping that someone may have done all the hardwork for me and have one working.

Many thanks,
Trev Daley.

AmigaOneXE G4/800Mhz * 512Mb Ram * Radeon 9200SE * AOS4.1.1
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tldaley

Quote:

tldaley wrote:

Thanks for the reply, yeah I got that much from the forums. The problem is that I haven?t found one manufacturer?s website that states if the printer is able to do postscript.

Strange, I thought that they did. I know that most HP lasers do, and come with both PCL and PS drivers.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tldaley

I have a Lexmark C534DN. Great printer. I believe most of the Lexmark lasers (except possibly very low-end) support Postscript.

Unfortunately, I do not have an OS4.1 system to test it with.

If you are interested someone could always print the postscript to a file and send it to me. I could send it to the printer and look at the result. Just be sure to set it up for 8.5x11 paper size.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tldaley

hmm .. I only quickly checked HP and Kyocera pages and both DO state if the printer supports Postscript along with the usual PCL stuff..

E.g. the Kyocera FS-C5100DN is on my wishlist (actually the 5200, but it's basically the same printer), it supports Postscript (see Specification/Emulation on the website), but as I don't own it yet, I can't tell if it really works with AmigaOS.

Here's the australian website for you: http://www.kyoceramita.com.au/product ... cts/Pages/FS-C5100DN.aspx

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tldaley

My Xerox Phaser 8560 works great, albeit it's not a laser but a solid ink printer. I would hardly go back to laser, this thing has been cheeper, cleaner and more reliable for me.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tldaley

I have a HP Laserjet 2550LN.

As Hans states it is a postcript 3 printer, it can print in colour only via postscript. If you print via a laserjet driver it prints in greyscale.
It has parallel, usb, and ethernet connections. In fact my A1 is connected via parallel, and my Imac is connected via usb at the same time.
I understand the HP2820 is an updated version of the 2550, and uses the same media.
If I was you I would look at HP Printers site.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

Quote:
Strange, I thought that they did. I know that most HP lasers do, and come with both PCL and PS drivers.

Swoop has proven me wrong with one model of HP. But when I've looked into the market in the past (purchased a Konica-Minolta Magicolor 2450 and now a Xerox 6180 DN), MOST of the HP's I looked at at the time of those purchases actually came with a software emulation of Postscript which shipped in the printer box via a CD. "Windoze Only" for THAT kind of Postscript!

Both the Minolta and the Xerox have worked well, connected to the A1 via the LAN using ethernet.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Trev:

I bought a Samsung CLP-350N. It has Ethernet connection, so it sits on our LAN at home where all the PCs and the Amigas can use it. It understands Postscript and I simply use the Postscript driver in the Printer prefs.

I'm using lpr.device as the driver for the network printer, it's easy to set up once you get the files and I've never had a moment's trouble with it.

It cost only AU$400 (IIRC), and that's the same price that I paid for my first Epson 9-pin dot matrix printer 20+ years ago.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Paul

Quote:

Paul wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

Swoop has proven me wrong with one model of HP. But when I've looked into the market in the past (purchased a Konica-Minolta Magicolor 2450 and now a Xerox 6180 DN), MOST of the HP's I looked at at the time of those purchases actually came with a software emulation of Postscript which shipped in the printer box via a CD. "Windoze Only" for THAT kind of Postscript!

Both the Minolta and the Xerox have worked well, connected to the A1 via the LAN using ethernet.

Paul

That sounds rather fishy to me, because Windows printer drivers take graphics lib calls, and translate them to the printer's own language. Windows printer drivers don't take postscript as input directly, so there is no reason to emulate postscript. Possibly the postscript support is incomplete for some models (also sounds fishy to me)? I have used an HP 5050 PS printer driver to generate postscript and EPS files by capturing their output; Ghostscript never complained once that the postscript was wrong.

Hans

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I used a brother MFC 9450CDN coulor laser all in one, to make it short (tell me if you need detailed infos or search on other forums):

works as printer in colour using WB Postscript driver. Printout of Photos is a bit dark though, because WB PS driver has no Gamma or colour correction. I will get an Epson CX21nf next days/week I report on that one as well...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

Sorry for the mini thread hijack but how did you over come printing pdfs. I only ever get the first page then triangular warning light starts flashing amber.

@tldaley

As a side note it possible to use the parallel & usb only versions of the hp2550 (cheaper and easier to get used) with lpr.device and a dlink dp300u lan printer server if you want the printer in another room. The DP300U can be confiured using OWB.

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tldaley

Xerox Phaser 6180N, networked using lpr.device in socket mode (raw).
No issues.
Afair, already 2 yrs.

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The HP CP1514N works here, with lpr.device or netprinter.device, with LaserJet driver or Postscript. I use the Postscript driver.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Jack

I am also looking to get a Xerox Phaser 6180MFP. Some questions:

1. Is Photoprint also to dark ? (compared to e.g. windows print out)

@All
2. Anybody using a All-In-One colour laser here ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jurassicc

Quote:
Sorry for the mini thread hijack but how did you over come printing pdfs. I only ever get the first page then triangular warning light starts flashing amber.
Hey!! on page 97. RTFM. - I enjoyed that, I usually get it said to me.

When the attention light is flashing (triangle symbol) and the go light (green light above the big green button) is on the printer stops printing, and it actually means "ATTENTION with the ability to continue". ie, if you press the green button it will print the next page.
Unfortunatley you have to keep pressing the green button between pages until all pages have been printed.
Basically the printer is saying the print media is the wrong size, and pressing the go button tells it to continue.

From the Manual:
Quote:
Attention with Ability to Continue
The Attention light is blinking and the Go light is on. The printer stops printing.
The message appears in these situations:

Manual feed with pause. Someone sent a manual feed job and the printer
is waiting for the special print media. Load print media into tray 1, and if the
printer does not begin printing after the pages are reloaded, press (GO).
Or, just press (GO) to try to print from another tray.

Manual two-sided printing. The printer has finished printing the first side
of a manual duplex job, and the printer is waiting for someone to reload the
pages so it can print the second side. Press (GO) to continue printing.

Paper out in the selected tray. Someone is trying to print by Source (tray)
and no print media is in the selected tray. Add print media to that tray to
print from it. Or, press (GO) to try to print from another tray. The printer
continues printing.

Print media is the wrong size. The media type does not match the print
media that is in the tray. Load the correct size and press (GO). The
printer continues printing.

Continuable state. Press (GO) for the printer to attempt to recover
from the error and print whatever data it can. If successful, the printer
completes the job while the Ready light blinks. If unsuccessful, the

Attention with Ability to Continue message persists. Press (CANCEL JOB)
to cancel the print job. If the problem has been resolved, the printer returns
to the Ready state (Ready light on).

I Hope that helps.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jurassicc

Hi Carl,

Link to PDF User Manual

Cheers

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

LOL

Cheers buddy!!

A1XE, A1200T, X1000, X5020, CDTV, CD32 , A500+ A500
OS4.1b / OS3.2b
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@gerograph

Quote:

I am also looking to get a Xerox Phaser 6180MFP. Some questions:
1. Is Photoprint also to dark ? (compared to e.g. windows print out)

It isn't a photo printer. And printoutis fine on either, Linux/AOS4.1

Quote:

@All
2. Anybody using a All-In-One colour laser here ?

We have one at work.
It can scan to samba share or ftp server., and into email (didn't test this option, we use ftp only)

Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »