Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 90

LiveForIt, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Support SimpleMail - give feedback!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
SimpleMail is a fantastic email program, and probably the best one for OS4 in my opinion. But it seems the authors are under the impression that no-one is using it, so it only gets updated very slowly.

I think they may be wrong, now that we have a lot of new OS4 users thanks to the Sam440. So please help change their perception by adding Feature Requests or Bug Reports using their official Tracker system (no registration required!) :

SimpleMail - Feature Requests
SimpleMail - Bug Reports

Before adding a new item, please check that it doesn't duplicate one that was added in the last couple of years (say since 2007). Instead of duplicating existing items, please add a comment to that item instead.

I'm sure that Sebastian Bauer, Bernd Gollesch & the rest of the SimpleMail team would also appreciate emails (their addresses can be found in SimpleMail's Addressbook). But please note that they wish Feature Requests & Bug Reports to be made using the official Tracker system.

P.S. I have been unable to post any Feature Requests using OWB 3.15, although Comments were added fine. I suggest trying IBrowse or a non-Amiga machine.

Edited by ChrisH on 2009/8/9 10:26:16
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Support SimpleMail - give feedback!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I forgot to mention SimpleMail's homepage, which is the only place you can download the latest version of SimpleMail (v0.33)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

You're absolutley right: SimpleMail is really nice program. But - like me - most users (I know) already use YAM and are somewhat withdrawn from playing around with a new e-mail software (call it "behavioural gravitation" ).
Futhermore there's Claws-Mail (i.e.) for AmiCygnix and so on...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cha05e90
If you don't try SimpleMail then you won't know what you are missing!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

I can't think of much I'd really like at this point. Amiga clip board support might be improved.

I've been using SimpleMail ever since the days of the time-restricted YAM PPC updates. I seemed to find myself needing to get a newer version too often when I didn't have time to mess around with it.

If anything, it's getting things like GetURL to work with it that I find frustrating. Sometimes it works fine. But more often, it only takes me to a site's home page, rather than the actual URL.

But that's certainly not SImpleMail's fault. (is it?)

Good of you to point out this great program and play it up, though.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH
Sorry to digress for a moment if you would indulge me. I commented on your post re this subject on AW and I agree Simplemail is a beaut program and i look forward to the Christmas updates which have become a little bit of tradition.

Your post got me thinking about Amiga software and where there are duplicate solutions for a need. For instance I really enjoy watching Tunenet develop and flourish, it is an exciting program heading to be the Amarok for OS4x, of course Amarok now has some fierce compitition in the Linux world. Indeed Tunenet has a way to go but it is incredible this is being done by one main coder and some helpers (no offence Fuzion etc).

On the other hand I was stoked (very happy) to see a new update to AmigAMP, we should recognise the long term contribution to the AOS scene of the authors of this program and associated projects. Just the other night I spent hours listening to music on the new AmigaAMP.

Choice drives competition, competition drives innovation, we are very lucky that in email clients and music programs (there are others like Simpleplay etc) we have active developers, not in cut throat competition but developing differently, that is healthy.

Cheers
ace

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Chris H

That gives me an Idea!

See Polls in a little while.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I use simple mail everyday with my sam and i'd really like to have an update with new features

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Dont using SimpleMail here (Yam user since `97) ..but here is my vote for new SM version!!Who knows maybe one day I wil jump from Yam to SM!

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich

Warp - Croatian Amiga portal
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Paul
Clicking on web links within SimpleMail works fine here. Perhaps OpenURL is wrongly configured? (I assume it uses OpenURL!) Or maybe the browser version you are using has problems? (OWB 3.15 here)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
Perhaps OpenURL is wrongly configured? (I assume it uses OpenURL!) Or maybe the browser version you are using has problems? (OWB 3.15 here)

Same version of OWB here.

But I goofed. Yes, I have OpenURL here, not geturl. But I never have been sure about properly configuring the prefs strings for OpenURL. Some URL's within SimpleMail seem to work just fine. Others never get beyond opening OWB on the designated home page.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Paul
Look at these posts for how I got OWB working with OpenURL:
post #7
post #13
post #30

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Paul
Look at these posts for how I got OWB working with OpenURL:
post #7
post #13
post #30

thanks for the help on getting SimpleMail to work with URL's with my OWB I just started using SimpleMail for the first time on my Sam & I like it

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH
Greets from yet another SimpleMail user.
Quote:
I'm sure that Sebastian Bauer, Bernd Gollesch & the rest of the SimpleMail team would also appreciate emails (their addresses can be found in SimpleMail's Addressbook). But please note that they wish Feature Requests & Bug Reports to be made using the official Tracker system.

And what makes you so sure of it? My mails have been ignored and same goes for most bugs/feature requests on SourceForge, submitted by most SM users.
As you can see, they are either remain unanswered or commented by other users. This is not the case with YAM, even when the developer doesn't agree with the requests...

Quote:
If you don't try SimpleMail then you won't know what you are missing!

Is there a single feature of SimpleMail that is not supported by YAM? I still use SM because it's more "lite" and perhaps because i'm lazy migrating to YAM.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
So...I played a littlebit with SM. Something I would like to see on my OS4.1 machine is support for AISS - looking at the 8bit gadget icons, hmm...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top

Register To Post