Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
174 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Some observations for Transmission v1.0 w/GUI
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I use SFS on all my partitions & Transmission is very unstable for me. I decided to convert 1 partition back to FFS2 to see if anything changed, stability wise.

I have Transmission & the torrent files on the FFS2 partition now & it's very stable so far. I also download to the FFS2 partition, so SFS is totally out of the picture.

This is on a micro with a GX G3, 512Mb ram, & July update.
SFS v1.279
diskcache lib v3.16
FFS2 v52.2
dos lib v52.12
exec lib v52.8

I also noticed that threads.library v1.5 is used. I'm assuming this is an older version of pthreads.library?

I also tested with SFS from update #4, SFS v1.252 & diskcache v3.9, but stability was still bad.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Re: Some observations for Transmission v1.0 w/GUI
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@sundown

Thanks for habing tested this, this explians why Transmission is so unstable here (all may partitions are SFS).

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@K-L

Wish I could be sure that was the answer, try it & post your observations here.

I'm doing one more test now, back on sfs, downloading, but uploading is set at zero Kb/s.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@sundown

your avatar rocks!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@sundown

I'm pretty sure that's the problem, it's been discussed at aw.net as well when the program was released.

I'm allmost allways downloading to a partition with FFS2 and Transmission is very stable then. I got the same problems when I use SFS. I haven't seen any reports about the reason for the problem (transmissions or sfs).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@hotrod

Just in case this also applies:
One of the requirements for transmission is "threads.library".

Version 1.4 here, which people were told to download for older versions of MPlayer and Transmission.

Newer V1.5 exists on the SDK, which likely not all people are using.

It might be best to report the version# everyone is using, if you want to nail down this issue, in case it's "threads.library" and not sfs.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@number6

I'm using version 1.5 and I seem to recall that it became stable at one point, maybe that's the solution then. I'm downloading to a SFS partition right now and it's been going on for a while... so far so good .

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@hotrod

Where can I get v1.5 from? Only v1.4 is available on OS4depot.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amipal

Please read what people says. 1.5 is in os4 SDK

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sundown

Excellent observation sundown!
I've also experienced stability issues with Transmission (both GUI and GUI-less versions). It used to just stop down/uploading and becoming unresponsive after a varying amount of time.
Based on your advice I created an FFS2 partition and used that as a download partition for Transmission for some heavy testing. And lo and behold: Not a single interrupted download! I've tested with filesizes of several houndred MBs and also multiple downloads. Stable as heck! I also get very good speed out of it (peaked at 250 KB/s on my 4Mb/s ADSL line).

That said, I've always found SFS to be reliable and stable so I doubt this is SFS's fault (unqualified guess).

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Edit: Tried with an SFS2 partition as well. Unfortunately the same problem as SFS.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@sundown

Crap, it stops responding as usual. This time I couldn't even move the mousepointer and the keyboards stopped responding . Works really well on the FFS2 partition though.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@hotrod

It seems that a lib, or something Transmission uses has a conflict with SFS. There is the pthreads.lha on OS4 Depot which is really the threads.library v1.4. The SDK has v1.5 of the threads lib, & I've tried both, but stability is still not there. Now we have a new pthreads.library that came with the July 07' update & I'm wondering if thats intended to be a replacement for the threads lib.

So the question I have, is the threads.library in conflict somehow with SFS?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@hotrod

In my case the problem is Transmission cause it locks up the machine several times a day specially when I open other applications such MakeCD or OWB.

Well sometimes it locks the Amiga and sometimes it locks the program itself.
For me is very unstable now

EDIT:Maybe I have to download threads library to see what happens?

Amiga 500 1MB Chip RAM with ACA 500+ACA1232,CD32,Amiga 1300 030/50 Mhz,32MB (now on my hands at least)and Amiga One G3 XE PPC 800 Mhz,ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB,256 MB RAM,Seagate 200 GB HD,2 working DVD drives,X-Arcade double for MAME,Sil0680,4 USB ports,LG
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@MamePPCA1

You must have threads.library installed already or Transmission won't run. Are you downloading to an FFS2 partition or SFS? Downloading to SFS seems to cause problems, FFS2 download is stable for me. I did take the v1.5 threads.library from the SDK & installed that into Libs:.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@sundown

Good question, I wonder who could answer that question? I've had some problems downloading to FFS2 as well lately and yesterday I got a requester telling me that I got a read error on that partition and it locked up AOS making it impossible to move the mousepointer or using the keyboard. Maybe the size of the file was too big, I can't remember what the limit is for FFS2 is.

Another thing to mention is that transmissioncli works great with SFS partitions on a PATA harddrive but on a SATA harddrive it doesn't work at all, it just stops after a short while. I haven't tried with FFS2 on a SATA harddrive though.

Go to top

Register To Post