Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 »
Re: My AmigaOne X5000 twins - I need some help and advice.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Magic

It goes without a question that for a $2500 product, the dealer service must be top notch. Holiday time or not, there's no excuse for what your dealer is doing to you: the company is simply being dishonest. I strongly suggest that you contact your bank and try to get your money back. And if the dealer keeps playing dead, contact the respective local business authorities and file a written complaint with them.

The price of OS4 hardware is very high, considering the alternatives available today. People can live with such high prices only if they can rest assured that should something happen to their expensive machine, it will be repaired (or replaced under acceptable conditions). This includes in-warranty as well as post-warranty service. Otherwise no-one with a sane mind will invest in such a product, and the OS4 userbase will continue to diminish.

Putting various pieces together, I believe that the problem is wider and not associated with just one particular dealer. I'm beginning to suspect that no hardware repairs programme for AmigaOne machines actually exists. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I personally haven't heard of anyone who actually got their machine repaired when it malfunctioned. But I have heard, instead, several stories of people who were told (in the better case) that no repair was possible, or (worse) received similar treatment to what Magic is describing.

I find this extremely disturbing. We have been repeatedly hinted that the biggest threat to the future of AmigaOS4 is Hyperion and the seemingly never-ending law suit(s). I no longer think the situation is so clear-cut.

"Houston, we have a hardware problem!"

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Does everyone on here have a backup of the X5000 sd card? I realise that I do not.

Let's say something goes wrong, where do I download the image?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Magic

Quote:
The normal 2 LEDs are lit on the motherboard but that is all the system does now. No serial port data at all and I know my set-up works fine. The fans won't spin-up and the optical drive no longer initializes. There is no response to pressing the power button whatsoever. I did try swapping the power supply with a brand new Corsair RM750 that made no difference.

I managed to find my copy of the manual. If the two LEDs you speak of are the SB-PWR (standby power, green) and STANDBY (red), then that's the correct state when it's off. As with your X5000/20, the following LEDs should come on after pressing the on button:
- PLAT (platform voltage power good)
- C-A (CPU core A power voltage good)
- C-B (CPU code B power voltage good)
- DDR3 (DDR 3 voltages good)
- IO (IO voltages power good)

If that doesn't happen, then power to the CPU & other parts aren't being switched on. This means there's a problem with the power controller (or whatever it's called) that's supposed to power up the board when you push the button.** The sd-card containing the ROM may be perfectly fine; it'll never be read if the CPU never gets power.

Fault-finding beyond this point isn't what you'd expect the average user to do. It really should be looked at by a technician.

I'm a bit shocked that they still haven't helped you get it fixed yet.

Hans

** Or, there's a small chance that the power switch or cable is broken/disconnected, which I highly doubt but is always worth checking.

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@rjd324

Quote:
Does everyone on here have a backup of the X5000 sd card? I realise that I do not.

I do, but it's a beta version so I can't share it. The latest release should be obtained from A-EON directly.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Edited by Magic on 2023/11/25 19:49:33
Edited by Magic on 2023/12/5 6:12:38
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Can the x5000 sd card image be downloaded anywhere?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Edited by Magic on 2022/8/14 23:48:21
Edited by Magic on 2022/8/14 23:48:55
Edited by Magic on 2022/8/15 1:45:30
Edited by Magic on 2023/11/25 19:50:31
Edited by Magic on 2023/12/5 6:13:04
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Magic

Quote:
It is not the power switch as this too has been tested.

As expected. That's as close as you can get to confirming that it's the auxiliary MCU that's responsible for powering up (and down) the board. There is a way to debug that further, but doing it yourself might void the warranty (and you need the right serial adaptor to plug into its debug port).

@Amedia
Come on guys, you have a customer that needs support. I don't see any sign on your website that you've gone on an off-grid vacation or something.

@rjd324
The status LEDs say that the CPU isn't even switching on, so reflashing the sdcard is highly unlikely to do anything. As I said earlier, ask A-EON directly if you need the ROM.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MagicQuote:
Beware before spending thousands of dollars on one of these motherboards as there doesn't seem to be any after sales support. I am beginning to think this is an old 2016 board that someone had put away.

P 5040
MCU 2.5
CPLD 2.2.1.0
Serial # xxx00097

Those parameters are identical to the Beta boards, as well as the revision (2.2) and the UBoot version (molsen-2018-10-05). Amedia confirmed a few days ago that there has not been a new production run for the quadcore Cyrus but these "new" boards were produced already some years ago, but they should be unused and not refurbished.

An educated guess: A-Eon made originally a production run of at least a hundred boards (the serial numbers suggest that), primarily for testing purposes. A part of them were delivered to Beta testers, the rest of them stored as a reserve. Now when the dualcore bords are outsold, they decided to distribute these boards they still have left.

What comes to Amedia, I guess they are currently on vacation and do not read their email... It is the same with Relec, I got yesterday confrimation from their former director.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Edited by Magic on 2023/11/25 19:51:01
Edited by Magic on 2023/12/5 6:14:22
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Edited by Magic on 2023/11/25 19:50:00
Edited by Magic on 2023/12/5 6:16:17
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Magic

Quote:
I am open to suggestions, what should I do next?

Keep bugging your dealer until they realize they either grow up and start acting professional, or pack up their business and go.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Edited by Magic on 2022/8/22 2:33:51
Edited by Magic on 2022/8/22 14:10:04
Edited by Magic on 2023/11/25 19:51:29
Edited by Magic on 2023/12/5 6:16:40
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have had similar problems with Amedia I purchased a new board in January which would not display even the boot animation so I contacted them and after many photos sent and even buying new ram and another video card with no results I sent the board back to them at my expense only to be told it would be sent to A-Eon for repair. I have sent two emails since with no reply woeful support
So I Saved up again and bought another board from Amigakit and guess what exactly the same problem as the previous board from Amedia. Stupid me I have the day off this Friday and will try to get it working again to say I'm unhappy is an understatement I've never had problems like this before anyway I'll try again but I'm not getting my hopes up.
cheers

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have had similar problems with Amedia I purchased a new board in January which would not display even the boot animation so I contacted them and after many photos sent and even buying new ram and another video card with no results I sent the board back to them at my expense only to be told it would be sent to A-Eon for repair. I have sent two emails since with no reply woeful support
So I Saved up again and bought another board from Amigakit and guess what exactly the same problem as the previous board from Amedia. Stupid me I have the day off this Friday and will try to get it working again to say I'm unhappy is an understatement I've never had problems like this before anyway I'll try again but I'm not getting my hopes up.
cheers

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@bigmac

Sounds unusual for a newly received motherboard from Amigakit.
They are supposed to run each board hard for some days before shipping .

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Bigmac
If 2 different motherboards which you got from different dealers acts the same, my bet is not motherboards, but something else (everything which you have connected to motherboard, case itself and PSU included).

If you have a little bit expirience with hardware and stuff, imho better to build it on the table first : i.e. motherboard on table, then just PSU , and FAN on CPU + RAM for basic boot.

Then, if FAN spins, you can start from serial debugging first. You build nullmodem cable, use some terminal (PC with putty and serial-to-usb adapter), and see if motherboard throw anything on serial. That will be a start to see wtf happens.

If nothing, then, you will be in needs to build another cable, called MCU cable, which is more lowlevel for x5k , and you can see more low level things so to know what errors are (if any).

By all this, you will know yourself what wrong (if anytihng, because 2 boards act the same tells) without needs to send it to anyone for no reasson.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
If 2 different motherboards which you got from different dealers acts the same

Unless it's the same board

The Rear Window blog

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e Hi! thanks for your reply I ran the latest board on the bench taking all anti static precautions maybe it is me which I doubt anyway I will try again on thursday when I'm off work hopefully a positive result.
cheers

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Edited by Magic on 2022/8/24 5:25:12
Edited by Magic on 2022/8/24 5:27:43
Edited by Magic on 2023/11/25 19:52:08
Edited by Magic on 2023/12/5 6:17:05
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 »