Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 126

emeck, kas1e, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
Amiga fails to deliver cash, loses naming rights to Kent arena
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information

Go to top
Re: Amiga fails to deliver cash, loses naming rights to Kent arena
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Who is weeping?

I'm not, it comes as no surprise to me.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C
Not I but it just makes it all so much harder for the brand/name Amiga to regain respectability.

ace

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@acefnq

Sadly, I fear we lost respectability years ago, when Eyetech folded and no new hardware appeared. We are up the proverbial sh*t creek without the paddle as it is.

Forget respectability, forget brand name impact. Thats gotta be rebuilt from scratch. What we urgently need more than anything is the expansion of the OS4 userbase, through classic hardware with PPC accelerators and with brand new hardware.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C
Eyetech did not fold, it pulled out of the market, probably for good reasons of which we are not privy. My words were "regain" respectability because it was lost some time ago but amateur episodes like this just don't help. Who in their right mind as a startup would commit $10M US? From my perspective it looks like that commitment was based on personal choices of one individual who happens to live in the Kent area and supports the sporting team included in the discussions. Did the investors get any say?

I am not sure banking on the classic line as a way forward is the right way to go (sure they should be included). I have a suspicion that things may work out quicker than people expect and that HW will flow sooner than later.

My 5 cents.

ace

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Given the timing of the revelations (to the media, not to us) of past troubles, I am wondering who it was that tapped brunner on the shoulder and whispered in that ear, ?Hey! I got some juicy dirt for ya!? I can only imagine that it is someone who hates Amiga and wants them to fail; and since they likely have zero exposure to those who actually own Amiga, it must be someone who hates Bill McEwen, and who has the media's ear.

I wonder who that could be.

So the saga of hateful obsession goes on. Whenever he tries to succeed, this person is there to stamp it out, as though it were a fire threatening their interests.

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

Quote:

Billsey wrote:
@ChrisH

Given the timing of the revelations (to the media, not to us) of past troubles, I am wondering who it was that tapped brunner on the shoulder and whispered in that ear, ?Hey! I got some juicy dirt for ya!? I can only imagine that it is someone who hates Amiga and wants them to fail; and since they likely have zero exposure to those who actually own Amiga, it must be someone who hates Bill McEwen, and who has the media's ear.

I wonder who that could be.

So the saga of hateful obsession goes on. Whenever he tries to succeed, this person is there to stamp it out, as though it were a fire threatening their interests.

Nice try. You leave out a couple of important facts. First that Kent was totally willing to still go through with the deal despite all the bad press. All they cared about was if Amiga could pay. They tried to get the money early and when Amiga refused they let it go to the original promised timing. The only thing that blew this deal was Amiga not paying. They even let Amiga negotiate down from the original $5 million intial payment to $2.5 million.

http://tinyurl.com/3d99aq

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@fairlanefastbck

I haven't left anything out. The facts of the matter are well known---all except the motivations of those who pointed brunner to those past difficulties, and it is those motivations that I am questioning. No thread needs every poster to re-invent the wheel in every post. The facts are well known. Failing to recount every juicy little tidbit does not equate to an attempt at cover-up---no matter how desparately some might wish that it did.

For those who are brave enough to want to know me better, visit
my Home Page, my Storefront, and blogsey
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

Except you said:

Quote:

Billsey wrote:
Whenever he tries to succeed, this person is there to stamp it out, as though it were a fire threatening their interests..

The deal was not stamped out by what anyone said but what Amiga did, which was not pay.

So you were not merely commenting on the motivations of those that let the media in on publicly available info. And besides, if Kent had done due diligence it would have been found out anyway. Either way its not what killed the deal. Not paying is all that it came down to in the end, something totally and solely controlled by Amiga.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Mikey_C who said Quote:
Who is weeping?

I'm not, it comes as no surprise to me.

I was very much expecting it, but hoping to be wrong, because it seems to signal that Amiga Inc may be loosing interest in OS4. That's good if Hyperion win, but bad if Amiga Inc win (but then fold & sell on the OS4 IP for someone to sit on).

edit: Plus, some people still seem to favour Amiga Inc over Hyperion, and I don't want to rub it in.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@fairlanefastbck
Quote:
...if Kent had done due diligence...

That does seem to be the case.

Quote:
City officials said they were generally aware of the company's past woes but believed it had new investors and was poised for a bright future.

Billsey does raise an interesting point and Amiga Inc. hardly needs any help failing. I think questioning the motives and actions behind those involved is quite appropriate.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Mikey_C wrote:

@acefnq

Sadly, I fear we lost respectability years ago, when Eyetech folded and no new hardware appeared. We are up the proverbial sh*t creek without the paddle as it is.

Forget respectability, forget brand name impact. Thats gotta be rebuilt from scratch. What we urgently need more than anything is the expansion of the OS4 userbase, through classic hardware with PPC accelerators and with brand new hardware.

Hi Mikey_C,

We have a working AOS~4.0*. The (micro)AmigaOnes out there work (at least mine does;
System has been up since 15-Jul-07 13:00:50 (total uptime 16 days, 00:11:57)
currently, running 2 shells, AWeb, DNetc doing OGR25 is at 23631 stat units in THIS session, it was running since I turned on the computer, and many notepads), and I'm posting from Aweb 3.5.08.

We need new HW, a high spec, and a low end, but the low end really needs to be cheap (pricewise).

Sam440 is absolutely excellent, with it's FPGA, truely, that WILL bring the fun of computing back to the tinkerers of the world.

But, it needs to be possible to do whatever is achieved on that, on a 2.5 GHz PA-Semi MB as well. IOW, not have it lost to being stranded on the slow system.

Again I repeat, if in the years 1985 to 1994 we were able to sell through ~7 mil. Amigas, that today because of there being more people on the planet, we could easily reach upto 15 million users.

Also, the price of the expensive machine, almost, no matter how high it is, could sell in the 10,000 units range (if I had the cash lying around, no amount would be too high ). Amigans ARE fanatics.

* We're kind of between 4.0 and 4.2 now.

** There are 42263 stat units in there now. This is 175 packets and I have to go through 124 more before it sends them in.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@fairlanefastbck

Billsey does raise an interesting point and Amiga Inc. hardly needs any help failing. I think questioning the motives and actions behind those involved is quite appropriate.

Perhaps it interesting to do so for the sake of it. But my point is that the fact is Kent was willing to go through with the deal until the very end despite what anyone said at any time, it dosen't matter what Rich Woods emailed them, it dosen't matter what queries the media made, what they published. None of it changed the fact that Kent stuck by trying to honor the deal until the end and that the only thing that blew the deal was Amiga not providing the promised money and Amiga trying to alter the advertising requirements. Kent may have huffed and puffed a but, asking for money early, telling the press they were upset, but they only did that once they found out new Amiga contract requirements from the press instead of Amiga itself.

So since it had no impact there is no point in blaming it. And besides it was probably the morally right thing to do anyway. Does anyone really think the press exagerrated in what they independently reported? Even if given places to look by sources its still only them writing what was there.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Billsey

Quote:
Given the timing of the revelations (to the media, not to us) of past troubles, I am wondering who it was that tapped brunner on the shoulder and whispered in that ear, "Hey! I got some juicy dirt for ya!"

Someone brought this up to Brunner?

Are you sure this isn't about Cara Solomon actually contacting people initially to get her facts?

From Amiga.org in May:

Quote:
Re: so if a reporter w/the Seattle Times wanted to talk...

telling the truth doesnt bring any trouble. I replied to her so we'll see what happens.

Quote:
she is more interested in finding out what I sent to Kent officials, what was their reaction etc.

Thats not really that important (they were amazed) but what I think would be better is to do the research like Gary_C suggested.. that would be a good read.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
How come this isn't news on the front page?

@ChrisH

See you actually joined then, hope you enjoy your stay

Rude!

Nissan GTR '08
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rudei
To be honest, I was slightly surprised this thread didn't get deleted outright.

But then again, I still don't understand the moderation policy here (e.g. I made a comment on something Hyperion said, in light of the legal situation, and that seemingly vanished in a puff of smoke. And no, that isn't a moan about moderation per-se, just my lack of understanding about the policy used. Perhaps this comment will get deleted too, even though I think it should be allowed by the T&C... I'm probably not going to last long here at this rate, as I usually only like to comment on "interesting" i.e. controversial topics, and those are the ones which seem to get randomly disallowed.)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Rudei
Quote:
How come this isn't news on the front page?

Because nobody submitted it as a news item as far as I know.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH
Quote:
To be honest, I was slightly surprised this thread didn't get deleted outright.

This is the "Too Hot to Handle" area where you are free to discuss all the controversial Amiga-related topics you want.

Quote:
But then again, I still don't understand the moderation policy here (e.g. I made a comment on something Hyperion said, in light of the legal situation, and that seemingly vanished in a puff of smoke. And no, that isn't a moan about moderation per-se, just my lack of understanding about the policy used.

According to your PM you weren't 100% sure you even posted the message. And I could have sworn I told you not to bring this stuff up in the forums again because it just pollutes the threads with off-topic garbage. We would all appreciate it if you would follow instructions and take it to private messages from now on. By disobeying instructions you are putting me into a very difficult position I don't want to be in. Please don't do this again.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ssolie
Sent you a PM to explain.

edit: P.S. As I understood it, not everything is allowed EVEN in the "Too Hot To Handle" forum.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I don't see any mention of the Kent Arena news on www.amiga.com but I don't remember if it was ever there.

I would think Amiga Inc. would have removed the news now that the deal has fallen through.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »