Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 45

328gts, arfcarl, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
A1222Plus has a new home
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yes, I did it via amiKit and ordered the a1222plus as a complete computer today because I don't want to do a lot of tinkering. After almost 2 years of AmigaOs4.1 via Qemu it is now time for real hardware. Which is not to say that I won't continue to use Qemu, but I also want to use this real thing

Maybe someone can give me some tips and information in advance.

The computer has an RX550 installed, can I replace this with a better card RX560/570 or something else that fits in the Micro ITX tower?

Does the sound come via HDMI or do I have to use the sound card directly?

Can NVMe SSD be used for the PCIe x4 PCIe gen 1 slot and does AmigaOs4.1 also support NVMe SSD?

Since I want to provide YouTube videos via AmigaOs4.1 on my YouTube channel, what options do I have to record it directly on the A1222plus?

Of course I also want to use old MiniGL applications, I know that this requires NovaBridge from EON, does this solution also work on the A1222plus?

If anyone can give me any further tips, I would be very grateful.

MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE
Go to top
Re: A1222Plus has a new home
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro

Nice purchase !

1° You can use another graphic card (but I doubt you will see a lot of differnce, CPU being the main bottleneck here. I'm using an RX560 on my X1000 and it's way enough for everything.

2° No sound through HDMI (driver doesn't support it) : only with your sound card.

3° Well, geenman developped a NVMe driver, posted it on OS4Depot, took it off from OS4Depot. And we learnt some days ago that it *should* be included in a future potential (maybe in the year 2025 or 2026, who knows) update of Enhancer Software.

See https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... &order=ASC&status=&mode=0

But don't hold your breath since geenman is at the moment not happy at all (see https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... &order=ASC&status=&mode=0 ).

4° I'm using an HDMI video recorder with jack input (but you can also use a good HDMI video capture and record the sound via the sound input port of your PC).

5° Novabridge works perfectly with the A1222+ granted you have Warp3D Nova and Radeon RX driver installed (it is the case with every A1222+ sold).

If you have other questions, do not hesitate :)

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@K-L

Thanks for the information

I know that the a1222 has some limitations and not all AmigaOs4.1 software will run properly like it will on a Sam460/x1000/x5000 and of course the speed will be more between a sam460/x1000.

The weak point is probably the missing FPU, but some videos show that customized software and also the 3d acceleration can work very well.

Being able to use NVMe SDD would be nice, but I also know geenman's situation and have read about it....

Perfect that Novabridge works and so I am also backwards compatible to older MiniGL demos/games etc.

Video Recording setting I will discuss later in more detail when the hardware has arrived....because I want to continue to publish videos on my youtube channel AmigaOs4.1.

One last question...is there a way to connect the sound card to my 4K TV optically or via adapter? I'm using a sideboard where my MacStudio is currently located next to the A1222.

Of course I want to do everything wirelessly, so can I use the mouse and keyboard wirelessly with a USB dongle?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your new system.

redfox

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MaijestroQuote:
Maijestro wrote:@K-L

Perfect that Novabridge works and so I am also backwards compatible to older MiniGL demos/games etc.

For old programs (requiring WarpOS) you'll have to install some specific software.

See this excellent tutorial from Kas1e : https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... &order=ASC&status=&mode=0

Quote:
One last question...is there a way to connect the sound card to my 4K TV optically or via adapter? I'm using a sideboard where my MacStudio is currently located next to the A1222.

Of course I want to do everything wirelessly, so can I use the mouse and keyboard wirelessly with a USB dongle?

For audio : jack output only. You will have to find a way to connect the audio out to your TV set.

USB dongles work perfectly (AmigaOS 4.1 handles the USB part).

--
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro

Quote:
Quote:
[...]

For audio : jack output only. You will have to find a way to connect the audio out to your TV set.
There are adapters/converters between analog and optical sound signals. I use one from the optical sound output of a TV to an amplifier which only has RCA inputs, that's the opposite of what you need, but I'm sure you can find the other type as well out there.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro
Quote:
Yes, I did it via amiKit and ordered the a1222plus as a complete computer today because I don't want to do a lot of tinkering.

Congratulations and welcome to the club!
Hope you enjoy your tinkering.

Looks like your questions have been answered but l will just say that I have had good luck using Logitech wireless keyboards on my Amigas. I'm using the Logitech K400 Plus with my A1222 Plus

There are also devices the record HDMI output which also have audio input ports so you can make videos without the need for a PC or Mac.

Something like these should work.
Cloner-Alliance

AmigaOne X1000, uA1
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Maijestro

Congrats on getting your new A1222 system! Have setting it up just the way you like it

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ktadd

Quote:

Looks like your questions have been answered but l will just say that I have had good luck using Logitech wireless keyboards on my Amigas. I'm using the Logitech K400 Plus with my A1222 Plus

I currently use a corsair k83 wireless keyboard with wireless usb dongel https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/keyboa ... nt-keyboard-ch-9268046-na I think I can continue to use this keyboard. I have already read your blog about the A1222plus and it will help me to set up the system. However, I assume that everything will be pre-installed as it is a complete computer.

Quote:

There are also devices the record HDMI output which also have audio input ports so you can make videos without the need for a PC or Mac.

Something like these should work.
Cloner-Alliance

Thank you, I will take a closer look at the device. As I have limited space, I need a simple setup that I can use to record. But there is still some time to find the right solution for me.

@all

I'm not sure how long the shipping will take, I estimate about 2-3 weeks for the a1222plus to be shipped to Germany. It has a long way to go and I hope it will arrive in one piece. The problem with the post office is that parcels are often treated badly.

I will put the device through its paces and let you all know about it, point out weaknesses and strengths and there will certainly be lots of videos I'm already so excited....

Thank you for the kind words

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Maijestro

Congatulations on your purchase of A1222!

I have RX580 in A1222. It work OK, but I dont know if its "overkill" for A1222 I have no data to actually compare. We should do some benchmarks and compare RX550, 560, 570 and 580 in A1222. Maybe users with different RX cards can post results, so we know if its worth or not.

I could also buy RX570 but the price was just a little big higher... so why not buy faster right away.....

What I noticed is that more powerfull cards are more quiet with less heat. Smaller card are maybe more "occupied". Before I had small SI GFX card and it was very loud. Now I have "big" card and its quiet.

Playing 1080p movies on A1222 is also nice - only 20-30% of CPU is used. Even two 1080p movies at the same time consumes about 50-60% CPU with RX580. That is with DVPlayer that has integrated video acceleration. This is very good - now I am watching all movies only on A1222! Sound driver uses DMA so that is not eating CPU cycles either.

A1222 is probably the best supported AmigaONE so buy driver wise. All hardware integrated on motherboard is 100% supported and accelerated. Even FPU emulator here and it work fast for small and medium FPU tasks. It is not really true that A122 does not have FPU, it has but code must be compiled for special A1222 SPE FPU which is in the same time also vector unit.

-dooz

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@dooz

Thanks for the information

Quote:

I have RX580 in A1222. It work OK, but I dont know if its "overkill" for A1222 I have no data to actually compare. We should do some benchmarks and compare RX550, 560, 570 and 580 in A1222. Maybe users with different RX cards can post results, so we know if its worth or not.

I could also buy RX570 but the price was just a little big higher... so why not buy faster right away.....

I ordered the complete A1222plus computer so I have limited options with a graphics card, the max would probably be an RX570 with 8GB https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-rx-570-itx-8g-g5. The computer is equipped with a RX550 (4GB) and I will run some benchmarks with this card and post them. I hope that the card will not be too loud.

The RX570 would also be interesting for me as it has 8GB of memory and is clocked a bit faster, but I'm not sure if it will bring any speed advantages under AmigaOs4.1. I will still buy this card and publish a few benchmarks with it.

Quote:

Playing 1080p movies on A1222 is also nice - only 20-30% of CPU is used. Even two 1080p movies at the same time consumes about 50-60% CPU with RX580. That is with DVPlayer that has integrated video acceleration. This is very good - now I am watching all movies only on A1222! Sound driver uses DMA so that is not eating CPU cycles either.

A1222 is probably the best supported AmigaONE so buy driver wise. All hardware integrated on motherboard is 100% supported and accelerated. Even FPU emulator here and it work fast for small and medium FPU tasks. It is not really true that A122 does not have FPU, it has but code must be compiled for special A1222 SPE FPU which is in the same time also vector unit.

That sounds good, I already have the full version of DvPlayer and Emotion, so I can get started right away and enjoy the acceleration. My expectations are not very high from the a1222plus, but it will be a whole new experience for me to be able to use real hardware and who knows maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

The decisive factor for this purchase for me was that the a1222plus Compact was built into a Micro-ITX tower and I like that very much. I don't have room for large, bulky towers

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

I used this as a video capture card:

https://shop-us.avermedia.com/products ... mer-portable-2-plus-gc513

I don't know if anyone here uses it with AmigaOS
You can record without the need for any other computer if you want.
Simply connect HDMI to AverMedia and record audio and video with just one button.
For audio you only need a connector costing a few euros if necessary if HDMI does not use audio in AmigaOS.

Also works with PS5 etc.

Being autonomous you can also record TV programs clearly you have to do some documentation to bypass the block

you can record up to 4 hours consecutively with an SD card
input in 4k but output support is 1080p keep this in mind in case.
So you can put videos on YouTube in 1080p

In broad terms it works like this.

Aside from Elgato, you can see other products of interest to you on their site.

Edited by white on 2024/5/11 11:53:15
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all a1222 user

Would someone be so kind and tell me what kind of output the built-in sound card of the A1222 has, is it an I2S digital audio output?

Since I would like to place this computer next to my TV, an I2S to Optical audio converter would be necessary.... I found this on Amzone.

Audio Converter

Could a solution like this work or does anyone have a better idea? My 4k TV has a digital optical input.

@White

Thanks I don't know such a solution under MacOs Qemu/Peg2 I just recorded with Quicktime which works very well. As I understand it, everything is saved on a MicroSD which would be ok as my Mac also has a MicroSD slot and I could then edit the videos under MacOs before uploading them to YouTube.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Maijestro

Sorry but ONLY jack output will work with the integrated sound card. Nothing else. So you will need a jack to optical converter. You will not get any sound from HDMI.

But I'm pretty sure your TV must have a jack audio input, have you checked this?

Funny : the converter you are talking about has an XMOS chip :)

--
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Maijestro

In the AverMedia case it has three buttons (functions)
1)Registration with a simple button.
2)You don't need an SD reader because it is itself an SD reader, just use the appropriate button and the SD is ready to be used directly without moving it.
3) You can use it with major video recording software.

I'm happy for you. Have fun with Amiga

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@K-L

Quote:

Sorry but ONLY jack output will work with the integrated sound card. Nothing else. So you will need a jack to optical converter. You will not get any sound from HDMI.

But I'm pretty sure your TV must have a jack audio input, have you checked this?

I have taken a photo of the inputs and outputs of my Samsung TV. These are the only jack connections it has.

Resized Image

Since it will take some time I want to be prepared and having to use AmigaOs4.1 without sound would be a nightmare for me.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Welcome, enjoy your new Amiga!

\o/....X1000....\o/
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro

Congratulations on your purchase !!! hope you continue to have fun using AOS4
I look forward to your insights on using your new machine

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Congratulations for your new system!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Maijestro

Welcome to the AmigaNG/PPC hardware gang!
Have fun with your new A1222+.

Eager too see what you come up with next!

1989-> A500, A600, A3000, A4000, A1200, CD32, µA1, PegII, A1XE, CDTV, Amy/416D79, A1X5000, Vampire 500 V2+, Vampire 600 V2, Amy-ITX, Denise ITX <-2024
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »